1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dropped my DVR...code 771

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jamesw84, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jamesw84

Jamesw84 New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I had an hr 34 and 2 mini clients installed today. Installer left and everything worked fine, but I had him put he receiver on the floor at install and told him I would move it all around later. Ended up dropping the receiver from about two feet. I noticed that the male sat in connector is bent and I get "searching for signal...771"

I know it is not dtv's fault. I would like to fix it myself as I am sure it is just a loose connection inside, but the receiver is leased. What should I do? How much will this cost?

2. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Call CSR for replacement, but don't mention about the bent connection and say you are seeing a hard drive error message or something, And if they ask you what exactly the message says, Just say that when you try resetting the box it shows the storage device problem detected message, And it won't start correctly with a error code 14-987 and it keeps looping over and over and never starts correctly, You will most likely get a replacement with the same model receiver, Unless you're not comfortable saying something not truthful at all, then mention what really happened and see what they would try to do, Since the protection plan doesn't cover that if you have the plan.

3. Jamesw84

Jamesw84 New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I really do not want to lie about it. And I think they would review this receiver and see the damage...then charge me $400. If I am gonna have to pay for it then I might as well open the case and try to fix.

I did some more quick research and someone said that 771 not receiving signal is a dish alignment or line of sight problem and that if it were the receiver or wiring it would say 771A?

4. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I would call CSR about the 771 message, they'll probably send a tech for inspection and possibly alignment, But did you tried a menu reset of the HR34? Did you check the signal levels through the menu?

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You Just cost the installer a 50% loss of pay - No matter what you tell them- even if you admit you dropped it- They will Ding the Guy it's the way the Business is run.

It's all about the Ding!

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There's a thin link coming from the back of the coax barrel to the motherboard. You might be able to solder it. Those links are easily broken if the nut holding the barrel to the back wall of the HRs is loose and the coax barrel turns. It's happened to me a couple times and I couldn't fix it. That link is probably the cause of the 771s.

Rich

7. Jamesw84

Jamesw84 New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Moved it to a different room and ended up getting it to work. Moved it back and it now works in the original room. This is after I removed the case and tested resistance of a few things. Wish I would have changed rooms earlier, but not sure what that really could have done...

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The link wasn't broken?

Rich

9. Jamesw84

Jamesw84 New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Nope...even tested resistance to make sure - .08 ohms. Moved genie and swim power adapter to a different room and got 775 error...no power to swim. Moved power adapter back to original room and the genie in the other room worked. Moved back to original room and it worked.

Kinda feel like I opened the case for nothing. I will try to get it back where it is hard to tell.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. I've broken a couple of those links, they break rather easily, thought for sure that would be the reason.

Rich

11. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    I'm happy to hear you didn't lie to Directv or get the installer in doo doo... I recently moved mine, new shelve set-up. Anyway, just tilting the receiver 90 degrees gave me the 771 error. Once done moving my set-up, the only way to get everything back was reseting the receiver and SWM. Powered up receiver first, the powered up SWM. All was ok. I just assumed HDD sensitivity, doesn't like getting moved around. I know my external connections are all good, cause I did them. Maybe I have a loose coax to motherboard connection mentioned earlier.