1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like a program change-help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Maleman, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Hello

I am currently subscribed to the "choice extra plus HD DVR" package. I have a promo on Showtime/Starz for 3 months. I do notice that the movie channels repeat quite frequently. I am not so keen on that, but there is an odd movie I will watch and its nice to have the option to watch. I mainly watch sports and mainly watch HD channels. I rarely watch SD.

What would be the next package up from my current one "choice extra plus HD DVR"? And what extras in HD would I receive? I think packages have changed.

I also sub to most pro sports packages nfl/nba/hockey.

Based on my tv viewing what would you suggest. I am currently paying $79.99 and have some credits.

Thank you for any input.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Go to DirecTV's website. Choose TV Packages on top of the home page. You will find your selections there.

3. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks. I found that. :) I also talked with CS and seems it doesn't make much sense, monetarily or value wise for me to upgrade. I was a bit shocked that the $114 Premier package doesn't even include DVR or HD-yikes.

I guess I will be content.

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yeah...whether it be DirecTV, DISH or cable they find ways to nickel & dime us.

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    The phrase "nickel and dime" is getting way out of date. The 5 and 10 cent stores disappeared for the most part some years ago.

When was the last time cable or satellite increased prices by just five or ten cents?

Gee, even my local senior bus fare today went up a quarter to 50 cents. :nono2:

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    A rose by any other name is still a rose.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You get stuck $7 for a DVR fee and $10 for HD no matter what package you choose. If you keep a package that used to include the DVR fee (like I have-PLUS DVR) you save a whopping dollar a month.

The ULTIMATE package is something you should look at. It includes an assortment of premium channels like the Encore Movie Channels and The Movie Channel. It's much cheaper than purchasing a premium like Starz! or HBO. Check it out!

8. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    But my package includes HD and DVR fees I think. I am paying $79.99. If I switch to Ultimate it will cost me $68.99 plus $17?

Thanks

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    FWIW, you can stream all Starz content on Netflix with any plan $9 and up, not to mention anything you want on disc. And PQ is excellent.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Right. Is it worth a big $5 a month to get a bunch of commercial-free movie channels? Or are you trying to go the OTHER way and save money? If so, DirecTV has a bunch of "secret" packages like SELECT that they cooked up to retain customers who are having tight financial times. But you can only find out about them by calling in and explaining that you need to save money or you must cancel.

11. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I like commercial free but I don't watch SD programming much at all. I think I would only get a few extra HD channels.

12. dd5087

dd5087 Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    I also have the Choice Xtra + HD DVR package for $79.99. What I don't understand is that when you look at the package comparisons side by side, the top of the column says the Choice Xtra + HD DVR has 200+ Digital channels and the Choice Xtra package has 210+ Digital Channels ($63.99+$17.00=$80.99). Where are the additional 10 channels? I don't see them when I compare channel by channel.

13. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    On the other hand; they call it rump roast because nobody would buy meat labeled "Cow Ass"

14. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Don't forget that you can ask for the $10 rebate for HD for two years if you haven't already. You just need autopay.