I guess this is the new normal

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Herdfan, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1 of 29
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Last night my wife and I and 2 other couples went to see Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot. (Better movie than the critics give it credit for).

But the theater apparently not expecting a rush on a Sunday evening was woefully understaffed, out of some concession items and not very clean. Since my brain/mouth filter stops working when I am annoyed (they were out of CF Diet Coke again) I told the manager (that's how understaffed they were as he was working the concession stand) that they need to get their crap together because I just built a HT with a big screen and with movies now hitting PPV less than 3 months after leaving the theater, I was losing reasons to come to the movies very quickly.

But my point here is the new Star Wars will go from release (12/15) to PPV (4/1) and DVD/BR (4/5) in just over 3 months. Why even bother to go to the theater and see it? Between the 6 of us, we dropped over $100 to see this movie. We could wait until June/July, spend $4.99 on PPV and sit in the comfort of my own house watching this movie. With better food.

At a time when the economy is not great, why are theaters not doing everything they can to enhance the experience (think baseball parks) instead of making me wish I had not bothered?

2. Mar 7, 2016 #2 of 29
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The last movie my wife and I saw at a movie theater was "The Bucket List" in 2007. Can't speak for others but we have a much better movie experience using our Home Theater Room rather than attend a viewing at a theater. The movie theater experience hasn't been what it used to be for years.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #3 of 29
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My wife and I went to see Star Wars a couple of weeks after release. Two of five people in the theater. The sound was broken during the pre-preview videos (my wife complained and they rebooted the amp for the movie). We do not eat at the theater so all they got was our ticket price.

It was a 14 screen theater so "minimal" staff can keep it running. And we went to the last showing on a Sunday (ending around midnight) so we left with the staff locking up for the night. Three couples per movie would be a "rush" for this theater on a Sunday night.

I do not have a home theater but I still wait for the PPV for most movies. Often I wait for the HBO or other movie channel appearance. I stopped buying DVDs since I found that I was not re-watching them. I am not finding the quality of most films worth going to the theater for. I have seen every Star Wars in a theater so I felt obligated.

The #1 reason to watch at home for me is closed captioning - although I have seen that at the theaters. The ability to add my own bathroom breaks comes in handy as well. Plus rewind - did you see that!

Why go to the theater? Mainly to get out of the house. And it was something we did when we were young ... although sitting in a nearly empty theater doesn't bring back too many fond memories. It is just a reminder of how much has changed since "the good old days".

4. Mar 7, 2016 #4 of 29
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    In this case change has not been for the better. In my youth movie theaters had humongous screens compared to todays multiplex theaters. Ticket pricing was affordable. The popcorn was made fresh with butter and salt. For the price of a ticket one got previews of coming attractions, cartoons, a co-feature and the main movie. "The good old days" indeed.

5. Mar 7, 2016 #5 of 29
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I used to go just for the Pink Panther cartoons.

6. Mar 7, 2016 #6 of 29
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I see a lot of movies in the theater. Even with a home theater setup.

But...

I have a local theater that with my regal card (it's free) costs $5.25 a movie all day on Sunday's and Tuesday's. IMAX is extra... They are decently staffed on those days as Sunday night movies is fairly popular anyway.

AMC in my area is a very nice theater but they don't have as many movies I like to see as the regal. (They show a lot of Asian movies because of where they are located and seem to get less of the mainstream as a % as the regal) However I get tickets at Costco for there so while it's more it's not a lot.

I rarely ever get any food unless I have gotten a gift card from someone.

But if it's a really big movie arch light is the way to go if it'll be crowded. It's more but there's no worry about seats silence they are assigned and that theater is always kept spotless and always have plenty of people working there.

But the regal with their discount days is by far the best deal...

With that said I think the studios are dumb. They shouldn't release things for a year after being in the theater. Or at least close to it. Star Wars should hit the day after Thanks giving for sale and no ppv or rental till January...

7. Mar 7, 2016 #7 of 29
    Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Same here with Star Wars. Even my daughter who is 15 can say she has seen all of them in a theater as she went to a Star Wars fest at a local theater when they replayed the 3 original ones. And we saw all the Hunger Games movies in the theater mainly because of our daughter wanted to see them. Did see Catching Fire in IMAX which was really cool.

The only DVD/BR's we buy are my daughter's movies since she like to take them to her grandma's and watch them with her (worth every penny). Otherwise we were just like you in that we never rewatch them. Plus it is just as easy these days to buy them on iTunes. I don't really need them on a disc anymore.

And yes, being able to rewind is awesome. :)

8. Mar 7, 2016 #8 of 29
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I went to a theater to see Star Wars, mainly because I knew I couldn't wait and wanted to see it without spoilers.

However, the theater I went to was brand new, had a Dolby Atmos sound system and electronic reclining seats. I can't compete with that at home.

9. Mar 7, 2016 #9 of 29
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Being that I share a home in a family of 6 (with my oldest son, daughter in-law and three 18 yr.+ grandsons}, agreement on what to watch on the family room HT system is limited. Most of the time, my TV viewing is done in my bedroom, where I have a 42 inch 3D TV and 5.1 surround sound system. I have an abundance of DVD's as yet to be viewed (mostly from Christmas or birthday gifts) in addition to having TiVo and Roku. We have HBO and I have a subscriiption to Netflix and Amazon Prime so I can catch movies when they are available. I've never rented anything from Redbox (the ones near me always seem to be out of new Blu-ray releases).

When I do go to a movie theater (with my Regal card), iit's usually on a Tuesday before schools let out -- cheaper tickets and no crowds. The last 3 movies I saw at a theater are Minions, Spy and MI6.I do want to see the new Star Wars and several other current releases, if not at first run, there's a 10 screen second run theater about 20 minutes from home - about the same travel time as the nearest first run theaters.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They seem to be making money ... perhaps in the theaters from the younger crowd with disposable income (and perhaps no cable/satellite subscription). When the money runs low on first run the movie goes to the dollar theater. When the money runs out in the theaters it is offered for sale and rental (often the same day). The studios have learned how to milk the cow. (PS: We are the cow.)

As long as they are making money I assume they will keep following that pattern.

11. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Waiting a year people would lose interest, plus waiting a year they have to reinvest in advertising because people forget.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Movies are still setting attendance records every year, so most of the business isn't dying.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    IMHO they are losing money. The only reason they have kept making more gross revenue is cost increases not attendance... And someday that will start to crack more and slow their revenue. Truly funny they are pushing faster and faster toward a revenue stream that could easily lower their gross revenue.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or some are moving to different experiences. A Carmike (to become AMC) is being built in my neighborhood with full dining. Or that theater I went to with atmos. I know that sound system is also available for the home, but it's not something I can do and I know I'm not in the minority.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

15. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    But does it lower profit? Given that a theater will cost the studios 40-50% of the box office revenue, is there a model that will lower revenue, but also lower expenses? I think the DirecTV same day model could do that, but they have yet to try it on a blockbuster type film.

For example, the new Divergent movie is coming out in a couple of weeks. My daughter will want to go see it for sure. But I can send her to the theater with $20, of which the studio would get about $5. So for her and 3 friends, the studio would get $20. Or I could buy it under the DirecTV model for $40 and the studio would get maybe $30. (It doesn't cost DirecTV any more to put a new movie on PPV than an old one)

I hope we see something similar in the future, but for now, unless it is a blockbuster (>$500M), then I will be content to wait the 3-4 months to watch it at home.

PS. I have Dolby Atmos available on my AVR, but is there any content that has it encoded?

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps you two should fight it out? :)

Theaters are holding their own. Go back 50 years (or 70 years) and today's attendance numbers look lousy - but overall attendance is generally steady (about 10% of the population attending movies each week).

The studios are making money ... and, as noted before, when they are done making money in the theater they make more though PPVs and sales.

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As I understand things, typically the studios get nearly 100% of ticket sales the first two weeks, the theatre only gets concessions. After that, the theatre gradually gets more of the ticket sales, I think up to 50% in a first run theatre. I haven't heard any info from the second run theatre managers lately on their economics.

Peace,
    Tom

18. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    While just a snapshot of one chain, in the Regal Theater Corp's 10K filing, the overall split is right around 53/47 with the 53% to the studios. But they make about 85% on concessions.

19. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Why is the economy not great?

Low interest rates abound. Gas is cheap. Housing is strong. Stock market still good but did fall a bit. And car dealerships strong sales. Oh unemployment below 5%.

20. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm presuming that snapshot is averaged over the movie runs whereas I broke down how the monies are allocated over time. So if your daughter goes during the first two weeks, most of her ticket price goes to the studio. If she goes the last week of a 12 week run, the money is split between theatre and studio--I believe 50/50, though that might have changed. Or might depend on the deal brokered.

Peace,
    Tom