1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had to send the installer away...please advise

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wipeout, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I was scheduled for an upgrade to the HR-20 from the HR-10. The problem is with the 5LNB Slim-Line Dish.

I currently live in a developement in a town-house. My 3 LNB has to be mounted at the highest point, which is the side of my chimney, to see the Birds in the sky. Currently I get no lower then a 95 signal on all my boxes so it has worked great there. It used to be mounted on the side of the house but I got reception problems due to surrounding trees. Well, Ironwood arrived to tell me he is not allowed to install the 5 LNB to chimneys due to their size and weight. He tells me the only other place to go with it and still see all the Birds would be directly on the roof. I sent him away, nicely I might add, because I wanted to check with you guys about mounting this way. He would drill 10 two and a half inch bolts directly into my shingles and fill them in with what I think he called "Bible Tape" I think? It looked like tar stuck to paper. He said this would be the stuff to seal the holes so the roof wouldn't leak. He also was looking for approval from my Association to go right into the roof which I didn't understand since I own the outside, this isn't a condo.

What should be my concerns here folks. I pushed the install out until September 1st to give me plenty of time to talk with you guys and either ease my mind about this or cancel the whole deal and stick with my HR-10. Please help.

2. german72

german72 AllStar

Sep 1, 2006
    I wondered the same thing when my installer wanted to do the install on the roof.
    I noticed that all the houses around here (Florida) more or less, had their install on the roof.
    Watching him do the install, my mind was put to ease.
    It is the new slim line and all went well.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Mine is mounted to my roof. They did a good job of sealing things, but I'm overly cautious and I got a tube of roofing tar and ran a bead around the exterior of the mounting plate for the dish and monopoles as well as reseal the bolts. There is no opening that I didn't seal off. :)

4. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    So the whole attached directly to the roof shingles thing shouldn't concern me? This black tar tape works well? I am afraid of high places so going up on the roof myself is out of the question. Also, the whole no chimney mount thing, is that for real?

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And this is why he asked about homeowners association (HOA) approval. HOAs can have some pretty persnickety rules about "eyesores".
    This is consistent with their corporate policy.

I don't find anything questionable about what the installer told you. They've had a lot of experience with various installations and have a pretty good idea about what can get you in trouble. They also know that the "Slimline" behemoth is about twice the size and weight of your existing dish. That gives it a wind loading of almost four times that of the Phase III.

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've seen others post info on chimney mounts - they're still allowed with the new dishes. Chimney mounts probably take more time and it's easier for the installer to mount on the roof. Other's have more experience with chimney mounts than I do.....

7. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    So it sounds like I should go ahead with the roof mount on September 1st and quit worrying. Thanks for the quick responses. Best to be sure and not sorry I guess.

8. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yes, mounting to the roof has worked just fine for me for the last 9 months without any problems.

I did, however, have to close my eyes and bury my head while it was being done. I feared the worst as well. It did not happen though!

9. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    I always had mine into the fascia board on the side of my house, but the bracket for the new dish is too big....therefore, I had to go with the roof mount....I wasnt' too thrilled about it, but I figure DTV would not mount them this way if they leaked, because they would be on the hook for alot of damage from homeowners....I check the inside of my attic periodically (in the worst rain storms my area gets) and it's been high and dry each time.

10. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    When my Slimline was installed on the side of the house, the installer added two braces to hold the mast steady in wind loading.

11. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    I understand your concern -- I had the same. However, 9 months after my dish installation, I have no water infiltration (my install was above an unfinished crawlspace where I have visual access to the roof from inside).

John

12. M3 Pete

M3 Pete AllStar

Jul 24, 2007
    Maybe things are different where you live, but in most townhouse arrangements, you only own the INSIDE of the home. The outside, including the roof and exterior walls, is typically "common area" owned by the HOA.

Although it's often better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission, you might want to check into this before your install.

13. Rockermann

Rockermann Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    It's actually called 'Bishop' tape and is damn good as sealing between surfaces. Especially on a hot roof.

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I personally would not want anyone drilling holes in my roof. Once a leak starts, and you may not know it for a long time, it is very hard to go back a properly repair. Shingles wern't made to have holes drilled in them. The installers like the roof because it is an easy and fast installation. I believe you only have a 90 day warrenty and a leak won't show that soon. I would mount it anywhere but a roof. If they don't get the lag bolts into the rafters(chances they won't)it will only be held into the sheeting, not very sturdy and if the wind blows it can move around and develop into leaks. We get lots of rain here and a solid leakproof roof is very important. Just my two cents on the topic.

15. iotp

iotp AllStar

Aug 13, 2007
    I had the same dilemma. Mine was on the edge on my roof attached to the eve.

When the installer arrived, I told him to replace the phase 3 dish. He stated even that it would not be a good idea of the weight. I then pointed out to the installer my neighbor across the street. He had it mounted to a similar eve location.

I just don't think the installer wanted to do it there. I instead mounted it to a side wall and he used concrete anchors into the block wall.

It might have been Sunday 8/12 when he was over, it was 113 degrees outside too.

:D

I'll post up some pictures soon..

16. LandShark22

LandShark22 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Good to be cautious, but I don't think this is a huge concern as long as they seal the holes properly. Even if the lags are just in the plywood or OSB under the shingles, that is a very strong connection, it's not going to pull loose in "normal" winds. Hurricane or tornado type winds, well, your dish is toast no matter what :p

17. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    I've had all three of my dishes over the last 5.5 years mounted on the roof....no problems.

18. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    My installer told me the same thing, and wanted $100 to do a "custom install." I later came up to find him trying to connect my existing cables into my neighbors slimline. When questioned, he said he was "adjusting my neighbors dish (why he would be doing that on my install?) Anyway, after he got my PO'd neighbor's signal back, I came back up to find him mounting it to the chimney. Funny how their policy had changed so quickly. I aksed him if this was still considered "custom" to which he said no, but never produced the check I gave him.

Bottom line, the installer company made it right and came out the next day. They used some reinforcing mounts (or braces) on my chimney, and that thing is sturdy as could be. IMHO, it can be done on chimneys.

19. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chimney's are notorious for being built rather, shall we say, "cosmetically". They look strong, all made of bricks and all, but they are often not mortared well and not particularly strong.

This may not be the case with your chimney, but this is why a lot of installers are squeamish about mounting to chimneys.

Don't think twice about the roof. That tape is good stuff. He should screw the bolts through a piece of the tape and then put another piece on top. That should be absolutely water tight.

If the installer brings up having to get approval from a Homeowner's association again, simply explain politely but firmly that you own a townhouse not a condo. This means that you own the entire thing, including the roof and the shingles, and approval from any Homeowner's association is not necessary. I see no reason why he wouldn't believe you.

20. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    In defense of chimneys to some degree, it can be done. I have one of those fake Florida chimneys that are just framed with plywood, but I had an old 18" dish on my chimney for 10 years without ever having it touched after installation. I got the installer to use the chimney with a slimline a few months ago, but it took a good amount of coaxing as he was seemingly afraid of a roof (go figure in his line of work). I was leery from the get go with him due to his reluctance, but it all looked secure. When I got my second HR20 about a month later I discussed my apprehension with a different installer who volunteered to check it out while the F/W was updating. He went up and and absolutely confirmed the solidity of the dish. You could do chinups from that thing with no problem. he also took the time to check & tighten all the adjustment bolts which were not to his satisfaction. Great guy, and it was the first time I felt compelled to tip an installer.

[​IMG]

BTW, I would never allow an install into brick. Block yes, brick no. The only place you can really drill into brick is the mortar joints, and I just would never trust that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.