1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate ignorant ones who say Japan is the most advanced.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Zellio, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    America leads the world in Aerospace/aviation, medical technologies and discoveries, semiconductors and research, biotech, computer sciences, argiculture, heavy equipment, robotics (Yes, the biggest makers of robotics are also in America).

Yet you have online fanboys of generation Y come online and call japan the most advanced because of... cell phones, and musical programmable toilets.

2. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I think they say that because of all the gadgets they have overseas like japan but they like weird things. :lol:

3. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    The problem is the gadgets are made better using American technology, which is why we work closely with the Japanese.

Hell, what do japanese computers run on? American semiconductors (Intel). Most of the stuff Japan RUNS is using american technology.

It's rediculous to call japan more advanced when they wouldn't even have their technology if Intel and other companies weren't around.

Hell, we were on the moon 60 years ago, Japan is still trying to figure out how. We'll have colonized mars long before Japan even arrives, but as soon as somebody from Japan does, some Gen Y idiot will chime in that Japan brought us all there...

4. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    We were on the moon in 1949??? :confused:

5. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    But hey, if people want to Mod Edit: exclaim mightily over programmable singing toilets, go ahead. But don't call Japan more advanced when they aren't.

As for me, I'd rather have USEFUL programmable stuff, such as robotic vacuum cleaners, robotic lawn mowers, robotic cat food dispensers...

Yes, I have a robotic cat food dispenser:

Attached Files:

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Tsk. How about High speed rail, videogame consoles, optics, digital and film cameras, hybrid cars, electronics design and manufacture to name a few -- all Japanese.
    The Japanese public is much more advanced in adopting new technology than we are here in America. As to robotics: Fanuc is the largest manufacturer of robotics, and they are Japanese. As to machining centers, both Hitachi and Mazak are Japanese. Granted, these companies have a presence in the USA, but the fact remains that they are Japanese firms.
    Japan, like the United States, outsources manufacturing to countries like Malaysia, China and Korea to take advantage of cheap labor.

7. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Bah.

8. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    You mean much more advanced in adopting American made technology? And no, most of the history of digital cameras, fiber optics, comes from America and the UK, not Japan.

Fiber Optic research began in the UK, while digital camera research began in America, by Texas Instruments.

Electronics design? Are you kidding me?

Videogame consoles also use american made technology, sad to say. Past machines have used Intel chips, Sony uses IBM cells, video cards are supplied by ATI and Nvidia.

High speed rail technology generally comes from the UK, although you do have a slight point of it and car manufacturing. But Japan didn't make the car, american inventors did too.

9. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    This thread has a good chance of being rather interesting... Lets please try to keep it clean and respectful of others. Thanks,

10. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    So if Japan got into making HD DVR's for D* there might be a chance it would sing to me when I get home from work? Sign me up! I'd love my HR22 to sing me a little tune everytime I walked in the door.:lol:

11. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Btw, if you want to talk adoption in technology, try computer horsepower, from the same companies that make japanese video game consoles, in japan versus the US. Try HDTV adoption, medical technology adoption, or most of the other stuff mentioned above?

If you go beyond cellphones you'll find we adopt technology FOR THE HOME alot faster.

There's a reason why Americans work closely with Japan, and that because America invents, Japan innovates. America has bigger homes and more technology in the homes then Japan. Japan is a more people oriented country that would rather be on the streets than at home, which is why cell phones dominate.

12. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Sheep were on the moon in 1949??? :grin:

13. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Nasa will be visiting you shortly in the black helicopters ;)

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The roots of HDTV lies with NHK, a Japan Broadcasting Corporation. I'm just sayin'. :grin:

There is some truth that the source of technology may not lie with Japanese companies they have advanced it and invented others.

What I fail to see is...well, I guess I want to know what's wrong the Japanese and their technology?

Mike

15. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    The point was HDTV adoption, he was talking about technology adoption after all.

Whats wrong is ignorant people, who see game consoles and don't look up that they are made by American companies, people who see singing toilets and cell phones and act like Japan is Star Trek, etc.

We both work together, and both are better off for it, but if certain American companies didn't exist the world would be in a stone age.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There are soooooooooooooo many things wrong with this thread. I was hoping this board would avoid this kind of nonsense.

17. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I believe that we are more advanced in technology then what we THE PUBLIC knows.

All I know is that probably by the time I am 70 (if I live that long) we will probably be living on mars....I am 22 btw.

I of course don't have proof for this.

18. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Say what?

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    While there is much technology that has it's origins in the USA, I'm certain that if we didn't exist as a country most of that technology would still exist.

Most people either know that a lot of our current technology has it origins in American companies or they never really give it any thought at all.

This discussion could have some interesting aspects. I’m looking forward to see how it goes.

Mike

20. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    You may want to provide proof.