I Hate Squirrels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by woodybeetle, Sep 11, 2008.

1. woodybeetle

woodybeetle Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Looked out the window today, saw Mr S sitting on my fence chewing something. Did not think about it until 9 Pm when my sat signal went to 12 on the 101 then I remembered that cute and fuzzy moment. Time to do some late night splicing.

2. KAL

KAL Godfather

Aug 31, 2008

:eek2:

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Sounds like you need a pellet gun :p

(Or just better cable protection/cover)

4. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    "Splicing"? :eek2:

Squirrels can do a lot of damage. You may have to "take action." Reminds me of a problem my dad had with crows eating his corn seed. The guy from across the road showed up with a quart jar full of corn immersed in some liquid. I asked him, "What's the liquid?" "Battery acid. You might have crows, but they won't be the same crows....." :)

5. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Those little *^#*ers did massive damage to my RG8U cables for my cb radio back in the 80s.I was replacing the coax every year or so.I agree with Grentz in this case.

6. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    Happens all the time.

Back when I used to (privately) set up dishes for friends and their friends, you wouldn't believe how many times I'd get a call about signal going out and drive to the house to find chewed cables.

Problem gets even worse in the winter when animals are looking for food in snow covered regions.

7. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    They sure can. The tree rats are evil critters.

8. EVAC41

EVAC41 Legend

Jun 27, 2006

My uncle and I had the same problem one chewed thru his cable and the same one got into his house and scared his wife to death when she awoke and found this critter on her stomache staring right at her :eek2: Boy I never heard her scream as loud as she did. So lets just say slug and squirl don't mix very well :eek2: :lol:

9. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    He was just trying to catch a program on Animal Planet.

He went inside the house to catch it after finding out he couldn't tap into the line outside to watch it (he tried to get an account and a receiver of his own, but DirecTV didn't approve of his credit status so he got declined).

Cut the little guy some slack!!! It was probably your uncle's dog or cat who told the squirrel about the program in the first place!!!

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Surely there is a less-gruesome way to get rid of them than battery acid.

11. CoramDeo

CoramDeo AllStar

May 24, 2007
    Squirrel are very tasty, especially in a gumbo or jambalaya. It's squirrel season, so be sure your hunting license hasn't expired. I've never killed a squirrel with a pellet rifle; use a .22 rifle instead so you don't have to pick out the shot.

12. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Pellet rifle is better inside a city limit...

13. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    OH! DON'T REMIND ME!!! Last year, around this time or maybe October, the squirrel went underneath my 2002 Trailblazer hood and dropped its chestnut under the wires. The squirrel chewed apart my wires and I ended up paying over $1,000 trying to get things straightened out. My clutch fan quit working (when I accellerate, it sounds like you're taking off in an airplane), air conditioner quit working and my mirror was showing "OC" instead of outdoor temperature. I took it to one Chevrolet dealership and they totally ripped me off. They said it was just a coincidence that my clutch fan wasn't working right and the air conditioner quit working. I had to pay $200 deductible, spent some $$ on a new clutch fan (only to find out there was nothing wrong with the original one), paid labor for replacing the fan, etc. Then come inspection time this past June, nobody would pass it because of "service engine soon" light that was on. Finally took it to another Chevrolet dealership and paid a measly $268.11. This time, they actually fixed it because the wires were reconnected wrong.

14. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Some folks would argue that gray squirrels are varmints, not subject to seasonal regulations. :)

15. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Which is why a pellet rifle is the weapon of choice.;) Can shoot them in the backyard without waking the neighbors nor alerting any authority type folks. :D

16. techgirl

techgirl AllStar

May 26, 2007
    I once heard an N-Star lineman refer to squirrels as rats with good PR. That was after one had fried him or herself in an underground transformer. Of course, the incident caused a massive power outage for the office park that I was working at

One other squirrel tidbit - my father once rode horses with a guy who swore that Shake-N-Bake was the key to tender, tasty squirrel.

17. BkwSoft

BkwSoft Legend

Oct 18, 2007
    A 22 short can be just as quiet as a pelet gun and much more effective. :D

18. CCDMan

CCDMan Mentor

Jul 26, 2007
    Ha! Here is the fun and amusing way to get rid of them - this one won't be back, that is for sure! He is now scared *hitless<VBG>

Squirrel Launcher

19. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    One of my little friends.
    Bearing grease on the pole didn't keep him from climbing up into the feeder.

Caged.jpg

Haven't seen him around lately though, I think he got himself squashed.

20. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    i have a lot of bush rabbits where i live and my cable has a fairly long run from the dish to the house, so i have my coax inside 3/4" plastic hose, i had to splice (plastic hose that is) it in a few places cause you can only shove the coax it in so far.