I have a certain place in my heart for satellite tv.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Creedyfbaby, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Creedyfbaby

Creedyfbaby New Member

Oct 22, 2020
    I’m hearing sad news that it’s time is coming to an end. I have a certain nostalgia I get from surfing through the channels it brings me back to my childhood being 8 years old in 2000 and having all these channels and how great it was to watch a college football game being beamed down to our tv by a satellite please someone give me hope that we still have many memories to be made and great tv to watch. I still have directv and I am now 28 paying for the xtra package which I think is worth every penny and I just got my son a genie mini for his room he is 11 and I want him to have that same feeling of nostalgia when he gets older hopefully there will still be a directv or dish network :(

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    If Comcast can use IPTV to add missing HD and up the bit rates then directv may be in for some hurt even more so if they stop being the only place for NFL ticket.

But now comcast is still behind in some areas from directv.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Pity you weren't around when it all started. Then you would have something really nostalgic to remember.

inhd40 and mjwagner like this.
  4. Creedyfbaby

Creedyfbaby New Member

Oct 22, 2020
    What do you think will happen to directv and dish? How long can they survive?

5. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Ten years from now they'll still be around. After that, time will tell.

Creedyfbaby likes this.
  6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Until high speed internet is available across the country there will still be a market for satellite TV. Of course, that market is shrinking. My prediction is that Dish and DirecTV will have to merge at some point just like Sirius and XM Satellite Radio did. Expect satellite TV prices to rise as the market shrinks.

7. Creedyfbaby

Creedyfbaby New Member

Oct 22, 2020
    So we are safe right now I don’t ever want to leave satellite that will be a sad day when we are forced into cable. I had cable and I hated it it didn’t go out much but when it did go out it was out for 4 days at least.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DISH's losses are perhaps 1/3rd of DIRECTVs losses of late (Q3 numbers for DIRECTV were 590,000 net lost and DISH hasn't announced their Q3 results yet but Q2 was a loss of 40,000) so the two may be coming to parity soon.

Of course if AT&T follows through on their reported plans to "monetize" (read: unload) DIRECTV, things could change even more rapidly on that side of the aisle.

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Around here, when I had cable, that wasn’t the norm. If it went out it generally wasn’t even for a full day.

10. Creedyfbaby

Creedyfbaby New Member

Oct 22, 2020
    April 27th 2011 we had 62 tornados and 2 winter storms in Birmingham so I remember it happening at least 3 times I mean obviously that weather isn’t normal but it did happen.

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    And we had it happen here when 100mph+ winds went through. Doesn’t change the fact that outside of some anomalies, cable does a pretty good job of fixing and staying up. I quit cable over money, nothing else. The service was good.

12. Creedyfbaby

Creedyfbaby New Member

Oct 22, 2020
    It was reliable in storms and bad weather we just happen to have a lot of anomalies in 2011. I still like satellite more for some reason.

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The quality of cable service from the same provider isn't the same across the board. I live in a very rural area and receive my internet service from SPECTRUM. We suffer more issues and outages than our counterparts who live in metropolitan areas. On top of that we don't have access to packages and services offered to their customers in the metropolitan areas.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The headlines say that "satellite" lost 4 million subscribers last year ... 3.4 million DIRECTV subscribers (including uverse) and 511k DISH satellite subscribers (not including Sling TV). DIRECTV lost 1.7 million more in the first half of 2020. DISH lost 377k including COVID suspended accounts (172k actual disconnects).

With DIRECTV reporting "Premium TV" instead of satellite numbers it is hard to say exactly how many satellite subscribers they have. The trends are certainly bad for DIRECTV.

That being said there is still a decade or more of life left in satellite - even if AT&T runs DIRECTV into the ground, DISH should still be around.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    My favorite is still C-Band. But yes, the first few years of D* were the best. Doing a self install and getting all those channels and sports in one place was exciting.

MikeT98213 and Creedyfbaby like this.
  16. Creedyfbaby

Creedyfbaby New Member

Oct 22, 2020
    A self install? Wow. Did you receive a kit? Where did you buy it from?

dtv757 likes this.
  17. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes it was kit, which included the dish and one receiver, I think you had to pay extra for the installation kit, which included mounting bolts, cables, grounding wire, instructions, VHS installation tape (I still have mine).

Many different places sold them, including Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.

Good times.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    dtv757 likes this.
  18. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Installation video from 1998.

MurphieNB, mjwagner and dtv757 like this.
  19. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Agreed there are many people in rual areas where DirecTV and Hughes is their only option for tv and broadband.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There has always been DISH and more recently Orby for TV that offer satellite TV service. Viasat is a satellite broadband option. There are also microwave options for broadband in some areas.

I wonder how many choose to bemoan their situation where just a little learning might open many doors.