I have DTV, can i switch to Dish using the same line?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lipcrkr, Jun 18, 2016.

1. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    My DTV sat dish is on my apartment roof. If i decide to get Dish Network instead, would the Dish installer be able to use the same roof to TV installation? To be more specific, the Dish installer doesn't need to drill holes, he can just disconnect my DTV and use the same wiring for Dish.
    Once the Dish is hooked up on the roof, all he needs to do is connect the wiring to my TV. It is simple.

When i say same line at DTV, i mean the separate Dish TV wiring but using the same access from roof to TV. Yes, i know i will have 2 dishes on my roof (but only using one) and won't have a problem from my landlord.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no
    he will do NEW [full] install

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Sign up for DISH, when the installer gets there ask him/her the question they will be able to see what you have and realisticaly answer.

4. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    They will most likely be able to use the same wiring. Just let the installer know you don't want any new holes drilled - most will accomodate, and it generally makes the installation easier because there is already cabling in place..

5. sprint100

sprint100 New Member

May 23, 2010
    The DTV installer will want make sure the cables used are newer. I switched from DTV to Dish and just told the installer DTV did the wiring about a year ago so he didn't run new cable.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It's going to depend on the type of wiring, how recently it was done, its condition, and the Dish equipment you are receiving. The last thing an Installer wants to do is use existing wiring and sign off on a job only to be bitten in the butt when the customer complains about problems that ultimately track down to using a bad/old cable.

7. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks guys. My cabling is relatively new, DTV was installed a couple of years ago, never had a problem. Doesn't DTV and Dish carry the same type of cabling? Could he just disconnect DTV on the roof and reconnect the new Dish on the roof, then just connect the Dish box in my house?
    Wonder if anyone has had the same situation as me. It's basically just installing the new Dish on the roof (i believe the DTV dish stays on the roof), and i then send back the DTV box back to DTV.
    Even my new box from Dish would be easy, just 1 box with HD, no hopper or anything else.
    I live in LA with nothing blocking the Antenna.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You didn't state the receiver type... Hoppers require some additional equipment and RG-6 cabling that other receivers do not... which is why it matters what kind of equipment you are setting up. If you're just getting a non-Hopper activated in one room, and the cabling is that recent, it doesn't sound like it will be a problem IF the installer is able to install the Dish near where your DirecTV dish is located currently. Line of sight could be an issue, depending on where you are located.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Modern cabling is likely good enough for either. There is a difference in specs but unless your DIRECTV installer used the wrong cable the cable itself should be good.

The bigger difference would be how the dish connects to the receivers. Although the latest receivers of both systems use "single wire" systems the topography varies. For a single receiver a single cable works. If you had (with DIRECTV) or will have (with DISH) multiple receivers the way the wires connect will be different.

The dish itself will need to change, of course.

10. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Yes, my cabling is fine. I have the DTV H-25 single receiver box. The Dish receiver would be the Wally HD box, no need for a DVR. I just need the best HD receiver which is called Wally?
    If i called Dish, would they know the specifics on what i would like to do on the phone? Or do i need to have someone come out and show him and then perhaps the next time install?
    I am still with Directv, which i love, i am no longer on contract but i need to save some money and using the 2 year deal with Dish will do that and more.
    I can save money at TWC TV as well but their HD Premiums are pathetic, only 2 HD channels per subscription. Satellite is so much better, at least HD wise, than cable. If TWC had the same amount as DTV/Dish TV HD Premiums i would go back to TWCTV.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if yo have one TV, that's would be possible outcome (coax cables are the same RG6 3 GHz sweep - but go to it and read the numbers to us)

just call CSR, order new install, define what you want, if you have 4k TV consider it for higher price of subbing; all particular small things will be commanded by the installer (do your supervision and hold his hands when you see something goes not good for you)

one thing he will do regardless of your intentions - install new dish, because of difference in a "foot", mast dimensions

12. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    I had dish network and changed to dtv 5+ years ago.
    The installer removed dish network dish put a new mount and dtv hd dish at the same location (on exterior brick wall)
    He used all the same coax cable and did not have to run any cable at all.

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The same cable may be used, but with the Hopper system 3GHz cable is needed, it may all have to be replaced.

The tech will scope the line to see if it is capable of carrying the signal.

14. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    What if you have new wiring for SWM Genie HR54 hookup, new wiring from satellite dish to power inserter and then older rg-6 from main tv/power inserter to othet tv's, can you keep the wiring in place if changing to Dish Hopper?

Also whether or not the installer would do this, will it work if you just swap the Dish/Directv reflector, switch to Dish LNB and reposition reflector?

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    As Jim said - 3 GHz from LNB to the piece where the Hopper goes to one output and the Joeys to another. Then 3 GHz from that to the Hopper3. The Joeys can probably get by with 2.2 GHz cable , maybe even lower.

Dish reflector. As well as Dish LNB. Also matters if you're going to be on Western Arc (110,119,129) or eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7 and maybe 77).

Got a set of locals we can lookup to see which one ?

16. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks but if I have to run new wires then I'm not bothering, if Directv starts with dvr-pause-full motion video ads, I'll just switch to cable with Tivo as those wires are already in place.

17. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You don't have to run any cable, the installer will do it for you.