I just joined today and got a Blu Ray player to replace my DVD player...

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by scooper, Jan 21, 2019.

1. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It's a Samsung BD-J5900 , does 3D as well as upconverts DVD to 1080i. What do I need to watch 3D ? And if I need a "3D" TV, that's a non-starter.

The apps on it are pretty pathetic in number, as well as what's available in it's "App store". I have a Fire TV if I really want to stream.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do believe you need a 3D TV set to see 3D. I think that player upscales to 1080p. My oldest 4K set can do 3D. The others can't. Never use it.

Rich

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You might be correct on the 1080p upscale. I'm using it on an "ancient" (when that size cost $600+ ) Olevia 32 inch that has a screen size of 1368 x 768 pixels. Still has a great picture IMO. But it is a little difficult to tell the difference between a blu ray disc and an upscaled DVD on this TV.

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes you need a 3D capable tv

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have compared DVDs to BDs on my 4K sets. BDs upscale beautifully, DVDs don't. There's a huge difference. We still have over a hundred (WAG) DVDs left in the house, they never get used.

Rich

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Depends on the source material used for the DVD. Some upscale nicely, others don't.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, let me refine my statement...I cannot remember one DVD that I watched on the 4K sets that didn't annoy me because of the PQ. Never had an issue with BDs. I had a reason for throwing out all our DVDs, bins and bins of DVDs some not even opened. I threw out the whole Soprano's DVD set unopened. Shouldn't say "threw out", I donated them to a church but the people that got their hands on the bins swiped them and sold most of them on eBay. Dirtbags.

Rich