I need everyones help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tylorert, Sep 19, 2019.

1. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    So I came up with a random idea of starting to referbish HR's. New drives if needed. Full cleaning full wipe. The works. Powersupply testing. Im open to people donating recevers. I dont think DirecTV is still referbising older HRs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Per "DIRECTV Equipment Lease Agreement'..."You have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, alter or tamper with the equipment".

3. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    What if it was owned equipment? I dont think they really care.

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Very few people own DIRECTV equipment.

5. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    I registered a one was leased H24 and HR24 and no one stopped me

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Again, very few people own DIRECTV equipment. When people subscribe to DIRECTV they sign a Equipment Lease Agreement and are accountable if they violate that agreement. You're only 17 and have a lot to learn about the business world.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Talk to a lawyer. You need legal advice before starting such a business.

Be aware that MOST equipment is leased. If you are lucky enough to find or have donated "owned" equipment you would be very lucky. If you spent time and money refurbishing equipment that could not be activated you would be wasting your and your customer's time.

Can you guarantee that every receiver you refurbish would be able to be activated? If not, it is a major risk.

8. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    I don't plan on doing this as a business. More or less charity. I was thinking of offering HR's with SSD's and just charge for parts plus $10 for labor. Itll depend on the shape of the HR's. I dont think D* are doing it anymore

9. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Even if I dont make full ROI, it would be nice to know that I'm helping someone out get what they want. I have lots of time and I can get a handful of DVR's for free.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    DIRECTV equipment have a protective seal (the one on my HR54-200 says "Warranty Void if Broken or Removed"). To do what you propose you would have to break that seal, thus violating the DIRECTV Equipment Lease Agreement.

11. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    there are ways around it ;)

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    James Long told you to seek legal advice and talk with a lawyer before venturing into what you propose. A assure you a lawyer would strongly advise you not to do that.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What you describe isn't a charity; it is a business. Just because you won't charge much/won't make any money, doesn't mean it isn't a business.

James' advice to get a lawyer before you start such an endeavor is a solid idea.

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Given that he's only 17 I suggest he check the municipal code where he lives about the age requirement for obtaining a business license.

15. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    18. I checked. I wanna do server hosting

16. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Well, then all you have left to do is the following...Prepare a business plan...Create a business logo, cards and stationary... Meet the legal requirements for the business you want to start...Select an accountant and attorney...Get the necessary tax ID numbers, licenses and permits...Insure your business...Open a business bank account...Arrange your business accounting and apply for loans...Establish a business line of credit...Ready your workspace.

TheRatPatrol and compnurd like this.
  17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    And a few other things (having started a non-profit corporation myself). No small endeavor. However, just researching and identifying/documenting what it takes will be a worthwhile exercise in and of itself. If/when you are ready to start a business, you will benefit from what you have learned. And perhaps, you will still want to pursue this. However, this specific case you suggest is not a good business plan, as it is unlikely anyone would be able to actually activate and use the product you will produce (as I noted above).

But do keep thinking, do keep considering options and things you can do. That is how nobody's like Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and a few other billionaires around the world got started. Don't want to discourage your initiative, just want to help you focus in the right direction. Good luck!

Rich likes this.
  18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You literally just described a business lol

19. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Well okay. I wish I could do something to older HR's. I love these boxes and I wanna see them in a future. I hate just taking out the hard drives

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's the only thing you can do to improve performance.

Rich