I need help understanding my local channel rights

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by timmy2, Aug 5, 2008.

1. timmy2

timmy2 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2007
    The first D* csr I spoke with today about moving to a small west TX town told me that in terms of local channels my destination zip code (79830) D* can provide me only ABC, FOX, PBS and some lesser crap -- but not NBC and CBS. He said I was simply SOL with respect to these channels. I fainted and the line went dead. :)

Then I found a link to DirecTV DNS Eligibility that lets you look up an address to check DNS eligibilty. It said that Standard DNS is "Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area" but that it's eligible for HD DNS.

Does this mean that if I order HD equipment and service that I will be able to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and FOX through the HD receivers?

I called and spoke to another csr who basically agreed with my findings but said that I'd need to pay $2/mo for CBS and NBC so that I could get them and the others via HD (of course by paying $10/mo for HD service). Does this sound right?

Lastly, I've noticed numerous posts -- most notably this thread about various issues with receiving local or DNS -- so I wonder if I can expect similar forced changes or cancellations of my ability to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS?

2. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Was either CSR that you spoke with part of the HDDNS eligibility team? If not, you need to call D* and ask to be transferred to them. From what I gather, you won't get NBC & CBS SD but you will get ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX HDDNS. Keep in mind that the SD locals are beamed from one of the Ka sats so you'll need HD equipment (or an R22) to get them anyways. I'd still call and ask for the HDDNS team.

3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    whatever channels are available locally will be what you get. Other channels that are not locally available would need a waiver. (For Instance if they do not have NBC, you would have to file a waiver for NBC nationally) those channels are 1.99 for one market 2.99 for both (NY/LA) and any channels carried locally in HD you would get with an HD (In HD) and others would need a waiver but would be free if you have the channel already in SD

4. saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    According to www.directv.com/locals your zip is eligable for locals but you need an HD MPEG-4 receiver to get them (even though the channels themselves may not be in HD). You are not eligable for any waivers since they do provide locals to that zip. You will be whacked with the HD access fee even if you have only SD TV sets in the house (just went through this with a 2nd house in Maine with MPEG4 locals and no HD sets in the house but had to install H20/H21's). Upgraded from DNS locals as well. You will, however, get the HD feeds for whatever SD channels you subscribe to (HD HBO, for example) so when your TV's go HD later you don't have to go through anything else to get HD picture, your boxes and subscription already include HD feeds of any channels you subscribe to.

5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    You are in the Midland-Odessa DMA; many, MANY years ago I did some work around Sanderson (in the 'erl industry') and all over that stretch of the planet-Texas.

So yet, as has been pointed out, this has been tagged as a 'small market' area, and is served by Ka/Mpeg4, and you'll need such equipment to receive the SD signals Getting the OTA HD signals in that extremely hilly country is going to be VERY interesting. But a lot of the 'old timers' probably know the ropes, find out the station call-letters and go searching on the web or the FCC site for what's going on with the HD signals.

You can (and probably should) go down the DNS route as well, it's always worth a try, particularly that far out in the sticks.