1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some expert advice.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vollmey, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    I am in Tulsa and are HD locals came up a few weeks ago on SAT 99. Saturday night during the Nascar race it went to "searching for Sat" just on my HD locals, other HD channels where fine. The locals did come back up after maybe 30 mins. and as far as I know stayed on. Yesterday during the Hockey game on NBC it did the same thing, and then they came back up after 30 mins. or so. When I check the signal strength I am pegged at 94 steady on two transponders on the 99 sat, 4 and 6 I think.

So, I called the local comapny that put the dish up and they came right out this morning. Of course the channels where working fine. But, he called tech support at D* and they asked how the HR-700 was plugged in. I have it plugged in a Battery back up block down on the floor. And right off the bat they said that was the problem. They said the the MPEG 4 signal can be screwed up easily by electrical interference??? and to plug it straight into the wall.

So we the Tech and I thought the was a bit strange but plugged it straight into the wall.

Is that possible that a UPS device can screw up a MPEG4 signal?? I feel like there is something else wrong somewhere.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I doubt the UPS has anything but a good effect.
    Since the local HD is "new" I'd guess everybody is still working on it, which will cause some problems as they make their changes.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

Elusive problem for me as well right after 5lnb installation. My HD locals only would be intermittant, good signal strenght and not weather related. Everything was tried, new cables, new HR20, new multiswitch, no change. I suggested a new LNB and was told "they never go bad". He humored me and it has been fine since. Maybe not your trouble, but it is a thought. Good luck. Your HR20 would have no idea if it were plugged in the wall or a backup unit. An off the wall suggestion like that says to me the guy does not know what he is talking about, IMHO.

4. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    Well, if was loosing an LNB I would think that I would loose other channels as well, may be not though.

If it is a MPEG4 electrical interference problem, what other channels would I be getting via the MPEG4 stream?

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

I believe one coil in the LNB is for MPG4 locals only, or so I was told. All other channels were fine.

6. Dbadone

Dbadone Legend

Nov 9, 2006
    No other channels would be affected. MPEG4 is only for locals at the present moment until the new sat's go up.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The dish has five separate LNB assemblies (inside three housings), one for each of the five satellites that are received. It is very possible for one (or more) to fail but not all. However any LNB failure is fairly rare.

Dish alignment can also be a very likely cause of what you are seeing. In order to properly receive 99 and 103, the dish must be very precisely aligned - more so than for the other satellites.

A UPS or surge protector will have no adverse effect as far as the power cord is concerned, however you do NOT want to route the satellite coax through such a device.

Carl

8. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007

I don't think it's an alignment issue, like I said I am pegged @ 94 On SAT 99. What I think I will do is pull it off the UPS and put it on the power conditioner and see what happens. But, I will call my tech again and see if I can get a new LNB up there.

9. Big6Dad

Big6Dad Mentor

Feb 7, 2007
    Why is that Carl? I have mine going through one and do not seem to be having any problems. Not doubting you with all the great advice you have given in the past, just curious.:goodjob:

10. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I noticed on my setup that my 99/103 Sats are only in the low 80's on a clear day while the rest of my signals are mid to high 90's. During bad weather my HD locals are the first, and only, signals I lose.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Your locals should be coming in higher, so this points to needing a better dish alignment.
    My locals come in @ 100%.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First, it isn't needed if your dish is properly grounded and your coax is grounded through a grounding block where it enters your house.

Second, surge surpressor coax lines may not have the bandwidth necessary to pass all of the signals from the LNB to the receiver.

Third, some may not properly pass DC voltages, which are required from the receiver to the dish.

Last and most important, don't ever hesitate to question anyone here. We are all human, and I have been corrected more than once. We keep each other on our toes.

Carl

13. Big6Dad

Big6Dad Mentor

Feb 7, 2007
    LOL, lets see, Carl 2,200+ posts vs big6dad 18 posts. I didn't want to seem like the newbie questioning the Hall of Famer.....:goodjob:

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You'll never get your post count up without rattling us with a higher count. [just don't pee on us as you do...:lol: ]
    If we can't have it make sense to you then we don't really know what we're posting about. :D

15. Reak N. Romulan

Reak N. Romulan New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I lost my HD Locals (Philadelphia) a few days ago. No obvious reason. They've been in and out (mostly out) ever since. Signal strength readings on two sats are all zeros. I can't remember which ones they are.

Since I actually have to work for a living, I can't sit around the house and wait for a DTV tech get around to showing up "sometime between 9am and 5pm"... so I want to try and realign myself.

I have wrenches, no fear, and some really big hammers. Do you have any instructions or advice not readily found on the DTV dish user manuals?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Try here: http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp
    Then come back if you want/need more as EVERYBODY wants to help...:lol:

17. Reak N. Romulan

Reak N. Romulan New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I finally got around to this on Sunday morning. Since I don't have a signal meter, I setup a small TV by the window and hooked in the HD receiver. Then I just took the remote out on the roof with me.

Getting the signal levels back to their original levels was no problem. It only took about 15 minutes all together, and most of that was my own ignorance about which satellite I should have been trying to tune...

I still can't figure out why the alignment drifted in the first place. Everything was tight, and there was play anywhere exept in the roofing plywood that the techs bolted into. Perhaps I'll re-enforce this one of these days...

While I was inspired, I found a old style roof top antenna at Radio Shack and installed that in the attic. WOW! It is about 200% better than any of those little crappy UHF only "HDTV" antennas that I've tried from the Ciruit City and Best Buys.

Thanks for all the help.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    D* is looking for new installers....:lol:

19. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    Ok, back to my original post 6 months later. I am loosing my HD locals again via the 99 SAT. The two transponders that I get my locals off of have signals of 97 and 100, so that is not the issue. I noticed this again the other night and thought maybe it's a fluke deal but tonight the problem persists.

It's like my HR20 is trying to lock into the signal. The searching for satellite will flash off and on. And I have no problems at all on any other of the HD channels.

I can't figure out where the problem is. If it's a wet connector I would think I would see it on other channels. There are no Multi-switches, the other two rooms have D11's in them.

So give some ideas here.

Also the locals channels will come back over maybe 30 mins or so. Stay on for awhile start to pixelate and then boom gone.

Edit: Also I have or neither has the wife seen this happen during the day. Every single time it's between 7:00 and 9:00 pm.

Thanks in advance.

20. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Hmm, I know I have not been having issues with the HD locals -except during that crazy storm today that I have to drive to work in (Let's just say it was raining so hard that traffic literally stopped on 244 Eastbound this afternoon for about 10 minutes while it passed)

Maybe check the BBand converters?

I had a service call about a month ago because one of my DVR's kept having intermittent SFSS on all channels, locals or not. Techs came out and after about 2 hours found that the cable had not had weather protection/protectors or something - the cable was rusting inside out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.