1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some type of mixing, fading software

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by JohnGfun, Jun 25, 2005.

1. JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    I have always been the Sound Tech for all of the Performances at the High School. As people are coming in we are going to have Sinatra music playing...and every 10 min I want an automated to remind people to turn off their cell phones.

Scenario 1:

OK...I need a program (if it even exists) to:
    Have music playing
    Fade the music
    Play a the message
    Fade music back in
    Kinda like phone systems when you call in to a company?

Scenario 2:
    Have a program that I can use to fade and mix the music and message ahead of time then Burn it to a CD then just play it the nights of the performance.

I really would like it if it was a free program if at all possible.

Thanks in Advance! :)

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Search time:
    http://www.download.com/Audio-Video/2001-2025_4-0.html?tag=dir I am sure there is something there that will work for you.

If I had such a project, I would use a very old program that I have called Cool Edit 97 which was a shareware program when I got it in 1997 or 98. It gives the ability to record stereo programs in multiple windows and copy and edit the programs together. Cool Edit later came out with a multitrack product called Cool Edit Pro. The developers eventually sold out to Adobe and the product is now sold as Adobe Audition. Adobe Audition is available as a thirty day trial here: http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/overview.html It's way more than you need, being a multi track studio package.

Let us know what you find and use.

3. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Try Audacity. It's free and a great program, it should do what you want. It reminds me alot of Cool Edit, a great shareware program.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Audacity is better than shareware -- it's freeware!

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Gee, maybe it's time to update my 1997 audio program. :lol:

6. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Well...I tried both. I like Adobe Audition the best, but I $300 price tag it a bit to much! :eek2: The School won't pay for anything that is not needed, so anything else that I would like to use out of the norm., comes out of my pocket!

The problem with Audacity it that The Automated message was 16000MHz
    and the music was 41000MHz. Adobe Audition Converted it so it was all the same.

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Did it downconvert the music or upconvert the message? There shouldn't have been any problem with the latter. If it was the former, I'd bet there was a setting wrong somewhere other wise it's a pretty usless package.

8. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Well...I inserted the 16000MHz message into the 41000MHz Song....So when the music faded out it played the message superfast! So it Up converted the message.

9. cclement

Mar 22, 2004
    Audacity can record off the "wave out" Can you play the 16000MHz message normally and use Audacity to record it at 41000MHz. Then take that segment and mix into the music.

10. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Well...I didn't record it. It was a natural text to speech voice, So it was just saved as a file.

11. cclement

Mar 22, 2004
    OK, can you play that text file on the computer, while using Audacity to record the sound out of your computer at the 41000MHz rate? You should be able to, because I have done it many times before. Will there be some quality loss, possibly, but if this is going on a phone, it won't be noticeable.

12. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Its not going to be over the phone...

13. cclement

Mar 22, 2004
    Oh...Kinda like, sorry I should have read it closer.

Can't you, or someone else just re-record the speaking part?

14. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    It really no big deal...I got it to work with the trial of the Adobe Audition.