I need your feedback, I want to help people really enjoy satellite tv.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by satvinvestigator, Apr 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. satvinvestigator

satvinvestigator New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    what people should know before getting satellite tv?
    I think there's a lot of misunderstanding on misquoted prices,
    when people call and get a price what should they keep in mind?
    Thanks for your Input.

2. RichardMcCarty

RichardMcCarty Mentor

Jul 14, 2007
    Unfortunately, my experience with both DirecTV and Dish is that the phone reps will lie, saying anything necessary to make the best sale possible.

Despite my frustrations with the satellite CSRs, I'll never ever ever go back to cable, where my experiences were far worse.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    What is it exactly you want to know?

A smart individual considering a move to satellite TV checks both DirecTV and Dish websites and does their homework. They consult forums like this. They keep in mind that there are always little add ons so you build that in to your comparisons.

When you have an idea what you want, you call and get the best deal you can.

4. satvinvestigator

Apr 3, 2010
    Thanks for your input.
    You are right, a lot of times sales reps all they care is making the sale.

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Perhaps that's why they're called sales reps. :)

6. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    • Look at the channel lineups and their base prices
    • Look at DVR fees, and any other fees
    • Make sure you get a good installer in your area (something this list can sometimes help with)

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Here's what I do:

First, look at the programming packages and figure out which base package you want, plus any add-on packages. Be thorough so that you are sure you'll get what you need for the programming you want. Do this will all services you are considering. Some programming may not be available from some providers, so they may be eliminated from the get-go.

Then, figure out which receivers you want. Start by listing each TV in the house, whether it is HD or SD, and whether or not it needs DVR service. Now, project at least a year into the future (will any of these TVs get upgraded to HD?), and make any adjustments, because once you get installed, you probably won't be able to make any equipment changes for a year (without paying a LOT of money for them).

Now, start writing down costs. A spreadsheet is best, but you can do it on paper too. If the price is too high (and it often is), then you may need to scale back programming tiers or receiver features to get the prices in line.

Remember that all TV providers give NEW customers a promotional rate and equipment discounts ONCE to get you on board. Those promo rates will expire, and future equipment add-ons/updates will have a cost as well. The better you plan ahead, the less likely you are to be disappointed or upset.

8. satvinvestigator

Apr 3, 2010
    BattleZone:
    Thanks a lot for your input. You are absolutely right, if people can plan ahead and add the programing they want, any add ons (movie packages, sports channels, a la carte channels, etc.) plus how many tv's they are going to hook up, plus if they want dvr or hd. and like you said to keep in mind the promotional price is only for a period of time.
    thanks a lot.

9. lman12

lman12 AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Those are good rules of thumb. In addition, look at the providers and their history of innovation (new products & services) and ensure they have the programming packages YOU like and want. Dish and Directv both have good base packages; Directv has tons of out of market (pay) sports packages, Dish has the better set top hardware.