1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need your help, email archiving techniques, where to start?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by smiddy, May 15, 2010.

1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Ok, I suppose that some of you folks use something other than Microsoft's Outlook, sorry, that this is what it is about. Mrs. Smiddy has been given a new laptop and we're about to transfer all of her email over, but holy-smoke-a-ronis, she has 3,465 (literally) in her inbox. 937 of which are unread. I'd like to here you organizational stories on archiving. I want to be nice and give her the option to be able to see all these emails again after the transfer (instead of telling her, "You need to start over." So ideas and actual implementations towards a similar end are encouraged, please. Tell me what you do.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I just move them all when I get a new machine.. but I do use the rules thing to separate them to diff folders..

Not to mention I dispose of old ones when they are no longer relevant..

937 unread? must be a lot of spam..

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Dang. I never have more than 1 page of Emails.

But to your questions, I'm not sure I understand. I use Outlook for my work Email and never have to transfer anything. If I get a new laptop (or desktop), I just set up my Email and all my Emails are there (and on any new phone).

4. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    +1

Just set up the Outlook account on the new computer, the e-mails will populate as they are pulled from the remote server.

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Assuming she's using Exchange or IMAP. If it is POP, then the emails are only stored locally on that machine. In that case, he'll need to transfer the OST and PST files.

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I thought you could synch POP accounts if you selected the "leave a copy of the message on the server" option in Outlook?

7. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    "Sync" and "leave a copy on the server" are kind of oxymorons. Let's say you've checked your mail from 4 devices (desktop, laptop, phone, work computer) before deciding to delete a certain message... Since you've told it to leave the message on the server, each device is going to pull down it's own copy of said message. You then decided you no longer need it. You now have to delete the same message 4 times, from each device... because with POP, nothing is "synced". They've all pulled down the message independently. This is why exchange and/or IMAP are almost imperative when checking email from multiple locations IMO. Make sense?

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Greg - It doesn't sound like "sync" would be a problem in Smiddy's case. He's just looking for a simple way to transfer the files to a new computer. The e-mails "should" still be on the server, so all that would be necessary is setting up the Outlook account.

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, it makes sense, but if there on the server wouldn't the new laptop pick them up?

10. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    I'm sure his wife is using Exchange... but yes, if it were POP, and it were set to leave a copy on the server, then all he would have to do is set up the email account on the new computer.

If she has any messages stored locally though in folders that she has created (folders not on the server) then those will need to be transferred over manually.

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    With 3500 Emails in her inbox, it's hard to imagine she set up any folders.

12. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    If the files are stored in PST files on the local machine...
    Copy the PST files to the new machine in a new folder called "old stuff" or something similar.

Setup the new account with new empty folders.

Once setup, open Outlook and click File > Open > Outlook Data File, browsing to the location of the old stuff.

She can open and close the old stuff as desired or she can open the data store and drag and drop the items she want to keep in the new store and then close the remaining store, but saving it in case it's needed again for archival recovery of something important.

13. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks All!

We both are using POP from our ISP.

In the past we would do as suggested, copy the *.PST to the new machine. However, we both don't manage our emails as well as could be done, I suppose, thus the reason for the question (more than just moving them to the new machine). So what strategies are folks using to organize. For example: archiving emails by the quarter year; (as mentioned) filtering to respective folders, then those folders get archived to some interval; etcetera.

Part of the point, which I didn't explain at all, is the reduce the file size of the PST. I suspect, but never tested, as the file size gets bigger, your computer takes a performance hit quantized at certain intervals in size. The theory is if I can limit the size of the PST then I should be able to reduce the performance hit. The other intended item here is to become more organized about our email.

The move from one computer to another sparked my interest in the above.

Marlin Guy,

Is there way to manage this via some interval (baring initial setup)?

Smoke,

You mentioned filters, do you have a scheme you use? I've never looked at the filters, so can you filter on a particular "from" or subjects?

I will be looking at this stuff likely this evening. Thanks again all!

14. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Yes. You can do the same thing whenever you want to at any given time.
    Setting it up going in would be more practical.

Create a PST template folder with your new PST files before you put anything in them. Then, whenever you feel as though the machine is slowing due to excessive message storage, simply close Outlook, and go to the location of the stores. Copy your full PST's to an archive folder named by date and copy your template empty PST's back into the message store folder to replace them.

You can still open the old messages through the method I originally described whenever you feel the need to do so.

I recommend daily maintenance over trying to catch up after a long stretch, however.
    I'm not a big fan of rules filters, because they filter based on criteria that may or may not be relevant to how long the message should be stored.

I create folders based on things like subscriptions, family, friends, organizations, vendors, customers etc. and manually move items from the main folders to them as needed.

Every item in my Inbox and Set Items folder gets reviewed and decisions is made as to whether or not it is stored in another folder or deleted.

But I do use the manual archive method described above whenever I reinstall Windows or upgrade to a new machine.

15. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    When I open and Email, I do one of 3 things almost immediately:

1. Delete (by far the most common).
    2. Open and save any attachments in a folder in mydocuments, then delete the Email.
    3. Save the Email as a text file in a folder in mydocuments.

I've found over the years that only about 1% of Emails need to be saved (not counting attachments), but for the ones that do need to be saved, they're easily found in mydocuments. For example, I have a folder in mydocuments with my Boss' name. Inside that folder is another folder labeled Emails. Any emails from him that I think are worth saving go in that folder.

Mydocuments is backed up on a regular basis.

16. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Great, thanks! I'll give this further thought and let you know what I chose.

I like this strategy for me, I'm not sure I can get Mrs. Smiddy to submit to it. I'll chat with her about this to see if she would be willing to do something like that since it would make the impact on resources move to the file system, which is more robust, in my opinion, then through Outlook.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not true. The default setting for POP e-mail setup in Outlook is to remove the e-mail from the server when it is downloaded into Outlook. So, unless he check the box to "Leave a copy" on the server, the e-mail will not be there anymore.

- Merg

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    @smiddy:

You can always just use the Archive feature in Outlook. It will automatically scan your PST file and then archive to identical folders in a backup PST e-mails that meet the criteria of the Archive process. For me, I have it grab mail that is older than 6 months in my normal folders, although I have some folders that are never archived. My sent mail is archived after 1 month. This keeps my PST file at a decent size and I can open the Archive PST anytime I want to get access to the older e-mails.

- Merg

19. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Those are probably DBSTalk thread subscription notifications. :lol:

20. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks, yeah this is what I'm going to do, but with a strategy for making quarterly PSTs.