1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Quit DirecTV - And I'm Pissed, help needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jodybo, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 29, 2009 #1 of 119
    jodybo

jodybo New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I joined this forum because I am hoping for the names and physical addresses of execs at DTV for me to send my formal registered complaint. Prior to tuesday of this week I was a HUGE DTV fan, I loved them. That has all changed, and I am no longer a DTV customer. This is not a big deal money wise, but they drove me through the roof and now I am madder than hell. Here's my story:

I pretty much have/had the DTV Cadillac package. I have 5 receivers including 3 HD receivers and 2 HD DVRs. I have the Sunday Ticket, all the movie channels, and the NBA package. My wife and I recently moved into a new house, and with the addition of 2 new receivers I decided my bill was going to be out of hand and I wanted to find a way to make a cut. It was at that point, roughly 6 weeks ago, that I decided I didn't need the NBA package. I asked my wife to call DirecTV and cancel the NBA package. That night she informed me that she spoke with DirecTV and that the NBA package had been canceled.

Now, fast forward to this past Saturday. My DTV bill comes in the mail and I'm perusing through it (it was roughly $300), it was especially high at $300 because of the Sunday Ticket AND the first installment of the NBA package which is 4 or 5 charges of $49.99. I thought, well that's odd and I again confirmed with my wife that she had canceled the NBA to which she said "absolutely yes, it should be canceled".

Monday I was in Miami for work but Tuesday (the day of the NBA's opening night) I was back in the office and I called DTV to cancel the NBA. As some of you may or may not know, DirecTV has a very specific gameplan in place to make life very difficult for anyone attempting to cancel any programming. You call, give your account number, confirm for security reasons and then are transfered because the person you talked to can't cancel. As you are transfered you are placed on hold for roughly 5 mnutes, then someone picks up and you have to start from the top with your account number, mother's maiden name for security, etc. That person then has no ability to do anything and will come up with a reason why they can't help you, and transfer you to yet another person. Same story, you are on hold for 5 minutes, then you have to start from the top with the next person.

So, now that you understand the process you can place yourself in my shoes as the conumser calling to cancel one part of an account that DTV gets to bill a couple of hundred to every month. The third person that I get on the line is allegedly in the "cancellations" department and after going through the situation with her, here is what she says:

Remember, by this time I am pretty agitated because I have been on the phone with these people for 20+ minutes including hold time:

Her: "I'm sorry sir, but we cannot cancel sports programming once the season has started"

Me: "A: my wife called and canceled the programming a month ago and for some reason it wasn't cancelled. B: THE SEASON HAS NOT STARTED"

Her: "I see it noted here that she called and requested the cancelation... she said she was going to call back and hung up"

Me: "What? What does that even mean? It sounds to me like she called and canceled the programming and you guys failed to do your part, how is that my problem"

Her: "I'm sorry sir, I cannot cancel midseason"

You get the gist. I am infuriated by this exchange and I tell her in very simple terms to cancle the NBA package, issue a credit, or terminate my programming. She asks to transfer me to her manager to which I say "no more transfers", she says "please there is nothing I can do he might be able to help". I say fine and am put on hold.

Same story, 5 minutes later some guy answers and I start from the top.

He give sme the same song and dance about canceling mid season. This time I am not in the mood to debate the subject and I say very sternly:

"Look, it's very simple, cancel the NBA package or cancel my programming and you will not see another penny from me."

He then reads off the terms of programming cancellation which includes all kinds of crap that I know is going to mean future invoicing and billing. I have since taken the appropriate steps to insure that they have no ability to get money from me without my direct approval, but I know if not correctly managed by me this is going to lead to collections calls and a potential credit ding. I believe they breached our contract by failing to cancel the NBA package and essentially defrauded me by billing me and refusing to cancel and issue a credit despite the fact that the season had not started.

Comments, thoughts?

2. Oct 29, 2009 #2 of 119
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #3 of 119
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Not much you can do since you cancelled your service. Theres not much anyone here can do for you. When you let your emotions get the best of you it is documented by the CSR's which makes it that much more difficult to get something done. Someone here will give you an email address to the VP of customer relations and I highly suggest you be VERY polite and explain in detail and maybe things can get worked out. I wish I had that email for you. Good Luck.

4. Oct 29, 2009 #4 of 119
    jodybo

jodybo New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    After what I experienced, I have no interest in continuing business with them. I am perfectly happy taking a credit ding rather than paying them after their garbage. My credit rating is 790, I'll survive.

5. Oct 29, 2009 #5 of 119
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If this is the case, why did you even bother to post here? :confused:

6. Oct 29, 2009 #6 of 119
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    He wanted the contact information and it's now been given. I believe this thread has run it's course and can now be closed.

7. Oct 29, 2009 #7 of 119
    wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    I fully understand your position...I've had a few such run-in with DirecTV myself...but may I suggest that one issue (no matter how extreme) after years of quality service can be fixed.

Especially since the programing you've subscribed to can't be duplicated anywhere else at the quality you're presently receiving.

I would talk to them again and see if instead of canceling the NBA package...can they compensate you for the cost of keeping it. You don't break their stupid rules and end up with the NBA package for free!

8. Oct 29, 2009 #8 of 119
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Too late, he's already canceled service. The ship has sailed. He has the info he came for. This thread can die now.

9. Oct 29, 2009 #9 of 119
    jodybo

jodybo New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I appreciate your comments, thanks.

10. Oct 29, 2009 #10 of 119
    jodybo

jodybo New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Actually that is not entirely true. I'm hoping there is someone who has the mailing address for the board members and other execs. I would like for all of them to have the opportunity to see what the firm they represent is capable of doing to its customers.

11. Oct 29, 2009 #11 of 119
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm sure they won't care about your rant. If you want help, do as Stuart suggested & send an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak: ellen.filipiak@directv.com

12. Oct 29, 2009 #12 of 119
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yellowpages.com :confused:

13. Oct 29, 2009 #13 of 119
    jodybo

jodybo New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I'm not quite sure how it is a rant. If you read my story there is no rant, just a factual conversation of what happened.

And as to whether or not they will care, perhaps some won't, and perhaps some will. This is the type of thing that might interest good management. I can tell you, I'm not going to serve on a board and then ignore the potential problems with the company. I doubt that's what the shareholders want out of their board members.

Thanks for the advice regarding Ellen, I have emailed her.

14. Oct 29, 2009 #14 of 119
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    JodyBo, you'd be amazed at what a well-written letter to the CFO or COO of a company will do. But, write a letter, don't send an email. Go to the latest 10-K or annual report. You'll find the mailing address there. And trust me, they do care.

15. Oct 29, 2009 #15 of 119
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sorry but with over 17 million subs, you're not going to make even a blip.

The email is to the VP of customer service

16. Oct 29, 2009 #16 of 119
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
  17. Oct 29, 2009 #17 of 119
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Knock yourself out. DirecTV Investor Relations: http://investor.directv.com/officers.cfm

They recommend the following:

Executive Customer Care Contact
    If you've contacted Customer Care and require additional clarification or support, contact Ellen Filipiak, Sr. VP of Customer Care.

18. Oct 29, 2009 #18 of 119
    ehilbert1

ehilbert1 Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    I appreciate you coming on here and letting us know what happened to you. It just goes to show that you pretty much have to keep checking to see if something is canceled.

I also would like apologize for the way some people have treated you here. Some people here can't stand anyone saying anything bad about Directv. Personally I've not had that many problems and enjoy the serivce.

It's no wonder why a lot of people on here won't even post. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves and grow up. Everyone has a right to vent and no this thread was not dead. It reminded me that when I cancel I need to keep checking to see if it really happened. It also reminded me that this board has a few bad apples too. The guy was a newbie and you still couldn't cut him a break. Grow up!

19. Oct 29, 2009 #19 of 119
    usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I can't quite understand why his initial post is considered a "rant".

20. Oct 29, 2009 #20 of 119
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, no reason to jump on the OP, unless having only good things about DirecTV being out there is your agenda.

Personally, I wish someone would record one of these calls and put it on the internet.

I really find it hilarious that they had a note in the account that you said you wanted to cancel and then hung up, yet were unlwilling to cancel it for you when you called back later. Surely someone could handle that as it is not like you called out of the blue to do it, there was an actual record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.