I switched back

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Feb 9, 2019 #1 of 31
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    well that didn’t last long. Got several complaints from the family members about dish causing a mid week switch back

Those include.

The GUI was too simplistic. Looked like an old Nintendo video game
    The 5 digit channel numbers on some channels were a pain also. Even more so considering I was getting RSN’s I was not supposed to so tuning to my RSN required knowing the 5 digit channel number

The biggest complaint was the PQ

While initially no one saw a difference. As time went on there was a softness/sharpness seen on certain channels and shows that everyone saw. The wife pointed it out several times during hockey games
    It seemed less on locals but was way more apparent on national channels
    I think the quote from my wife is anyone who doesn’t see it is just trying to justify there switch

Will have to figure out the mobile dvr issue if and when that happens but it appears for now PQ trumps all in my house at this point

While using the hopper 3 there was a speed boost. There was zero difference using the software on a Joey 3 compared to using a C61/C61k client

2. Feb 9, 2019 #2 of 31
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So, the grass wasn't greener.

TheRatPatrol and compnurd like this.
  3. Feb 9, 2019 #3 of 31
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No. More like there was green patches from un even fertilizing. And someone’s dog causing brown spots lol

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  4. Feb 9, 2019 #4 of 31
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Welcome back :)

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

compnurd and TheRatPatrol like this.
  5. Feb 9, 2019 #5 of 31
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Both companies suck. I've heard about the Dish PQ issues, but I've usually heard people love the Hopper 3. I probably haven't seen the Dish UI in 7 years, but I do remember the channels numbers were annoying.

Kind of a wash in terms of saving money it seems... Dish intro prices aren't what they used to be. Dunno if its possible to get better ones by calling. I'd have to go to Top 200 to get a few channels (DIY for one) and that'd probably put me back in RSN hell.

Preferred Xtra is probably the best package out there for me. All the channels I watch and no RSN fee. PQ is fine. HR24 is junk though. Dunno what I'm going to do next year when my credits roll off though lol.

6. Feb 9, 2019 #6 of 31
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Depending on your market Xtra package may have an RSN fee

I know my market just got an RSN fee :(

O wait u said preferred xtra

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

7. Feb 9, 2019 #7 of 31
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    The grass isn’t green anywhere with any provider. More like a dead winter brown.

8. Feb 9, 2019 #8 of 31
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yep, either satellite provider or any cable provider, they all have terrible customer service, pad their profits by overbilling for equipment, etc. and whatever advantages they may have are countered by a disadvantage (for example: Directv better PQ but crappy equipment, Mediacom very cheap cable card rental but not enough HD channels, and so on)

This is true for the streaming MVPDs too, but (for now at least) the much lower price outweighs those disadvantages for some. Which is why some people are dropping traditional TV altogether and going with on demand streaming only for maximum savings. Even if they have to give up certain programs they can't watch because they don't want to subscribe everywhere (like say Star Trek or GoT) they don't care because there is enough other stuff to watch on the service(s) they do have.

compnurd and TheRatPatrol like this.
  9. Feb 9, 2019 #9 of 31
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh I mean the hopper 3 was fast. But the GUI is eh. Honestly reminds me of a old passport GUI. People think we There is a lot button clicks to do stuff with directv. It isn’t much different

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The PQ and amount of HD channels at least makes it look like directv fertilized before winter kicked in lol

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Change is the worst issue. The old DISH GUI was not as nice as the current one yet it still took a few weeks to like it (and a lot more to find everything). After years of using any interface figuring out a new one is a learning curve.

I had forgotten about the five digit RSNs ... probably because I don't watch RSNs. I complained about the change when it was made a few years ago. (The International channels are also "five digit". The SiriusXM channels are four digit. Most channels are three digit numbers.)

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I don't disagree with this except for Mediacom not having enough HD channels. I've been with them for nearly 2 years now and find they have all the HD channels I will watch.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    That’s the key. They have all the channels in HD that you watch. But do they have all of the HD channels that Direct has. Armstrong has 90% of the HD channels that Direct has. But they don’t have a lot that I watch

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I dunno. It is just boxy. Like Tivo Hydra is a lot of tiles and boxes. But the menus and other things are normal lines. Seemed like everything in the dish menu was a low res tile

15. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Same for Cord Cutting. Grass is not greener. Even with Fiber they all seem to lag and chop off buffering, tried the top 4 TV Streamer. Plus the DVR is so limited.

Plan to switch back to Direct once they get the Local Channel Connector LCC going on the HS17 so I can get the 30 local channels on on the SAT yet with guide data in Omaha Ne
    Got to have guide data so I can record Star Trek, Star Gate, Space 1999 and the other good sci fi on H&I . Comet, METV and many more channels not on the SAT.
    Need the HS17 Server for:
    1. the 7 tuners
    2. double sized Hard Drive compared to the older HR54
    3. Future ready as it can do Two 4K Channels at once
    4. its closer to the Hopper 3 specs than the older HR54 genie
    5. The LCC looks to have the same OTA CHIPSET as the Hopper USB tuner or Air TV tuner (better than the old AM21 OTA tuner)

But did I say I save a lot on my car insurance. Ha ha , really have saved a ton with cord cutting, enough to where I can take the saving and go with Directv and pay a lot more for all channels and still feel good about it for Two years. Putting the savings in the special fund for tv. $400 saved so far but with some pain and choppy delay live sports and locals that cut out and DVR recordings forced switch to OnDemand where you must what the commercials (sneaky streamer companies, that dont tell you about this).

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm on the AP trial period now and I've never seen buffering (except at the show start) running the AP app on my 2016 TV. I have 1Gbps down, but the TV is hardwired on a AC wireless bridge, so I'm definitely not getting the 1Gbps at the TV. On my phone I can get 220Mbps down, so the bridge / TV is probably getting something along those lines. There isn't really a way for me to tell exactly since you can't get an accurate speedtest on a TV. The 220Mbps down is a limit on the iPhone 6.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There are several I watch that are in HD pretty much everywhere except for Mediacom - TCM, FXM and Sundance. There are plenty of others I don't watch that are still SD only that I know are in HD on Directv at least, and probably most other providers. I don't think I've seen them do a new HD add for almost a year now, I'm betting they don't want to 'waste' any bandwidth on TV they could be using for internet.

At least the PQ is good, or is on my Mediacom system...YMMV.

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I don’t watch those 3 channels so never noticed. But I just went through a few SD channels, including those 3. Pretty darned good SD. My Bolt+ is set to upscale to 4K and seems to do a really good job of it.

If I were to go to streaming it would take a couple of the cable/sat replacement ones to get the channels I do want. And I’m getting a good deal from Mediacom right now that makes it cheaper than streaming and will do that for a couple more years though the savings will be slimmer going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I love the Bolt +. But the heavy heavy concensous on the Tivo forums is the upscaler sucks in it. I would leave more towards mediacom is pushing a higher bit rate SD channel to you or your TV does a good job with lower scale content

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    My local CC is lacking a few good HD channels also. And while I keep holding out hope they are going to add a few. They seem to be jumping on the 4K bandwagon and are going to be increasing 4K content a lot over the next 6 months. Which to me means we can’t going to see any new HD channels in the next 6 months