1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think Directv Insurance is a big waste of Money!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Combow, Aug 22, 2004.

Who think Directv Insurance is a big waste of money?

1. Yes (Nothing has ever went wrong)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No (I mean it's safe)

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. It doesn't matter to me

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combow

Combow AllStar

Aug 8, 2004
    I mean i been paying them 4.99 for 3 years and nothing has ever when wrong with my box or remote.

4.99 X 36 months is = 179.64 with that price i could by a new receiver. IN FACT A DVR.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I have two SD Tivo's a HD Tivo and a Sony HD300 STB. To me it's worth the $7.99/month to cover all this hardware, just in case.

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Well, I don't know about you, but I'd say having hardware not die or that's not deficative isn't really a bad thing. :)

If you don't feel you are getting your moneys worth, why not cancel?

4. compdude68

compdude68 New Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Agreed the Directv insurance is a waste. As I am one of the droids working for circuit city I am faced with explaining this and the service the store offers on it.

One thing I found out from alot of customers is that insurance through DTV can only be used every 6 months. I have had several customers drop the insurance and have to buy new receivers ($50) because of this.

Granted the CC insurance is like 14.99 for the D10 for 3yrs which is not bad if you think that your getting the recievers for free after rebate... and insurance for the dish is like $6 for 3yr which is for someone to go out and fix it. :rolleyes:

So when you look at the diffrences it makes DTV's look pretty bad.

Note: I don't have the insurance on any of my equipment and have had good luck so far... and I am in florida on the water... where lighting is frequent...

Compdude

5. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    its time you broke it and got a new one

6. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    It's nice to have DirecTV send someone out to re-peak my dish after a harsh winter free of charge!

DirecTV insurance is a good thing!

7. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I have 3 generations of receivers (the oldest being 7 years old) currently in use and I've never had a single problem with any of them. I never considered getting the insurance.

8. jpurkey

jpurkey Godfather

May 15, 2003
    It's worth it, especially if you can't do the repairs youself. Though I am glad we waited until we had a problem before signing up with the protection plan. It was $30 that way for the first call, but still better than having paid $5.99 a month for 2 years. Plus the receivers were already covered for those first 2 years anyway.

9. Fredfa

Fredfa AllStar

Mar 27, 2003
    If a poll were really to be in any way accurate it might be worded a little more down the middle, instead of making it obvious what answer it wanted.
    Something like: "Is DirecTV's $7.99 monthly insurance charge a good investment?"
    Frankly, even without any problems in 8 years of DirecTV use, having TiVos and HD receivers for years (and now an HD TiVO) the peace of mind knowing things can be almost instantly fixed, and the quicker access to tech support makes it a worthwhile investment for our (my wife's especially) peace of mind.
    In my mind, it is similar to collision insurance.
    (What a waste of money, huh...you haven't had accident in years!)
    I haven't had an accident in 20 years, but when I do, I want my car fixed -- and I don't want to have to shoulder the big payout all at once (or all by myself).

10. goodcableguy

goodcableguy Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    For the money the protection plan is a value, there is no six month restriction on equipment or service call. The only restriction is 30 day no claim period when you sign up for it and that is waived if you have the $30.00 service call. I know of people who have worked with them and you will not be disappointed.

11. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I don't believe comparing auto insurance to home DBS equipment is a very good analogy. Comparing the payout of an auto repair which could be $3000 to DBS equipment that could be $300 is a very different scenario. If you have a $100 DBS receiver and pay $7.99/month for insurance, you could buy a new receiver every 12 months for the cost of premiums. You can't buy a new car with 12 months of auto insurance premiums.

For some, the peace of mind that comes with insurance for electronic equipment is worth the extra cost and that's fine. One thing to keep in mind is that electronic stores push the insurance on every purchase because they make a LOT of money on insurance since most equipment doesn't need to be repaired within the coverage period. They wouldn't pitch it nearly as hard if they were having to do a lot of repairs and losing money.

12. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    Is there an option for both?
    I used to have the insurance (Actually was leasing D* equipment after the Primestar conversion) I had to have my pole mount dish moved to a different spot in the yard as P* looked at different sat's than D*. I also got a Hughes receiver replaced (The second one started having similar problems and oddly enough the problems disappeared when I moved the Weather channel out of the center position of my Turbo Tune). I also had new coax connectors added to the old cables after they fell off.

A couple of years ago I talked D* to getting me off the Insurance plan (They "gave" me the equipment) and I have not had any problems since.

Remember, All insurance is only sold to make the seller money. It does make sense for some large things because of possible large losses (Life, Home, Car, Health...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.