1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I screwed up!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LakeSteve, Aug 29, 2012.

1. LakeSteve

LakeSteve Mentor

Aug 26, 2012
    New customer here, I ordered the free HD-DVR along with 4 Standard Receivers.

My question is, can I use an HD receiver on a standard def TV? Will it convert to standard def? I want on-demand on another TV. I had selected HD for a few rooms, and noticed there was no extra charge for an HD upgrade for another room or two. I decided to go with the standard receivers because I did not do my research and thought I could get on-demand with a standard receiver similar to cable converter boxes.

Can I mail them back a Standard receiver and have send me an HD an no extra charge or am I screwed?

Also, is there any other place that will swap them for me or am I stuck with the mail?

My service started 8/10.

Thanks.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, you can use an HD receiver on an SD TV

3. viclovr

viclovr AllStar

Aug 15, 2012
    video on demand requires a hdvr unit with internet connected.
    they will ship u out the receiver
    unless they need installation

4. LakeSteve

LakeSteve Mentor

Aug 26, 2012
    Yes, I have the HD DVR and cinema connection. I was told that an HD receiver would be able to get On Demand by communicating with the DVR and internet connection.

If that's the case, I'm wondering if it's early enough as a new customer to swap a standard receiver for an HD receiver free of charge since it was offered as part of the sign up.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's only sort of true. Only DVRs can download and record OnDemand shows and movies. Once recorded to the DVR, then remote Whole Home DVR Receivers can view those recordings.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you are already installed, it is unlikely they will let you trade out an SD receiver for an HD receiver at no extra cost, but you can certainly ask.