I think I'm finding a pattern but need confirmation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by tfederov, May 10, 2008.

1. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I think I'm on to something but I'm not quite sure.

I've upgraded my router and one of the wireless game adapters to N this week. I started running more shows on the HR20 with the N adapter but I'm still seeing studdering - on the local network shows only (channel 5 (NBC), 33 (CW)).

I haven't gone back to look at all of the playback issues (and I'm going to list mine this morning sometime), but can you guys see a difference in playback of HD shows between the local and network shows? I'm not sure if it's just me or not but I find it pretty curious.

2. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I watched Lost and Battlestar Galactica with no issues this week.

The only time I've personally seen the studdering you mention was after I used trickplay options. That was only on certain software version releases for me and a pause always fixed it. The version prior to todays was working very good for my setup.

3. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I didn't see any stuttering between the two types on my tests on the desktop. I would have expected something on my OTA locals with "uncompressed" HD, but they were fine.

The laptop, a much weaker unit, was ok on SD and a "trip" on HD.

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    On the desktop I can watch non-stuttering HD locals, but most times they stutter on the laptop even though there seems to be plenty of bandwidth and CPU available. I've been wondering just why the difference for a while. Need some suggestions on tools to use to check parameters such as frame and bit rates. Maybe there is a clue in there.

5. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    A frame rate and bit rate might be good. I just find it odd that locals are the only issue. OTA and MPEG-4 locals are the only ones I'm seeing issues with.

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    All my locals are recorded OTA. I keep forgetting to record satellite / mpeg4 locals for testing. There may be one total on both DVRs. Of course don't have CW in HD over the satellite so I don't even have the satellite locals in my Guide.

Guess I'll go and start recording some satellite HD locals.

7. jclarke9999

jclarke9999 Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm not noticing a difference between HD locals and HD network shows here.