I threw it all at my HR20 last night / HR20 Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dugmar, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 5, 2007 #1 of 25
    dugmar

dugmar AllStar

Dec 30, 2006
    Some pro's and con's after last night.

Pros

-I had series recordings of My Name is Earl, The Office, 30 Rock and CSI. I'm happy to say all recorded without a problem. Thursday nights are my Perfect Storm nights for my DVR. I like a lot of shows that are on in a 2 hour span. The HR20 made it through with no problems.

-Another thing I like... One touch recording. It is very easy to pick a show from the guide and record it.

-I like how multiple shows of the same title are stacked in the list.

-I love the HD programming only guide option. Nice feature.

-

Cons:

-That's all great. Happy about all of that stuff. However, I have had this unit for 14 days now. I watch a lot of TV. That being said, I cannot adapt to the FF, Rewind and IR functions. This has so much room for improvement it is rediculous. My wife hates it so much she said last night that she is ready to go back to the old Tivo and tube TV. I can't argue with her, it really, really sucks.

I'm a smart guy, I learn how to use gadgets really quickly. I adapt to techonogy very fast. I know how things work and how to figure out the tricks. Sorry, but navigating through shows, commercials, instant replay, etc. with this DVR is simply horrible. It does not work the way it should and until it is changed there will be no argument that makes me feel any differently.

-Another issue that may or may not have a fix. I searched and set up a series record for 30 Rock. However, I messed up and neglected to choose the HD version and it recorded the other Channel 7 out of Boston. One, why have two of the same channel? One in HD, one not? Why not have just the HD version?

-Two, I deleted the normal channel 7 from my custom guide. Why on Earth is my DVR giving me the option to record channels that are deleted from my custom guide? Can't I search only the channels that I have in my custom guide? I search for a show on NBC for example and the search results list shows being broadcast in Denver! Why? I don't get that channel! Why list it in the search results if I don't get the channel? Dumb.

-Also, if I choose "Channels that I get" it list hundreds of channels I don't get. What is that about? Why list them as channels that I get if I clearly do not?

-On playback of recorded shows I am occasionally getting some audio cut-out. This only lasts 1-2 seconds and is happening with 95% signal on clear nights. Weather is not a factor here.

As I learn more I am going to add / ammend this list.

2. Jan 5, 2007 #2 of 25
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The FF/RW/IR controls (trickplay). Try using the SLIP... I have just adapted to using that to get through my commercials. Between 5 and 7 usually get me through a commercial break in 10-12 seconds.

Having two (well actually three if you have OTA) channels listed.
    Basically it is simply showing you the channels you have. They show the SD version, simply because there are times where you would want to record the SD. I use the SD version to record Deal or No Deal, 1vs100, Days of our lives... and other shows that are not in HD... I don't need them taking up the "space" on the hard drive in their MPEG-4 version.

As for the "search" not filtering based on your favorites... yes, that is a requested feature... so you are not alone here.

And for Channels I Receive... do a quick search on it to find the longer answers. But short version. It is currently disabled, but DirecTV is updating other systems... which will allow it to be re-enabled.

So for now... it lists EVERY channel in the data stream as one you can receive.

3. Jan 5, 2007 #3 of 25
    dugmar

dugmar AllStar

Dec 30, 2006
    Sorry, what is the SLIP? The FF 30 second button?

Makes good sense. Thanks. I do not have OTA as the major 4 Boston channels are in HD on D*

Good to know.

Again, good to know. Thanks.

4. Jan 5, 2007 #4 of 25
    mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    I still like the FF over the slip (old habits are hard to break I guess). For SD stuff, I go 3x and usually 2-3 REPLAYS get me to the beginning.

HD is a little trickier because I think it's dropping more frames, so you don't see as much. I still usually go to 3x and then after a couples seconds, I drop it down to 2x. And then 2-3 REPLAYS get me to the beginning. If I keep it at 3x, it can take anywhere from 3-10 REPLAYS.

I agree, it's not as easy as the Tivo's, but I don't every think it will change (no matter how much I like to beat the Tivo autocorrection patent dead horse - they made the decision to not infringe on their patent and I know that will never change no matter how many times we say the patent is invalid or other DVRs do it).

5. Jan 5, 2007 #5 of 25
    dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    The fast forward is no TIVO , but, I will say that you do get use to it. Still it is not as accurate as the tivo.

6. Jan 5, 2007 #6 of 25
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    This is a very interesting thread. It lists exactly the only issues I have with the HR20, versus the HR10 (and Series3). I go from loving the HR20 to hating it almost every night.

I really want the HR20 to be the workhorse. Actually three (3) HR20's. I switched two HR20's into a full-time role this weekend. Haven't bought the third yet. Either gonna buy 1 more HR20 or two more Series3's (with HR20's just for Sunday Ticket).

The Sunday Ticket colored buttons for interactive viewing for scores and mix channels is wonderful. The picture in list is great and productive. Many HR20 advantages. Already assuming that DLB, on-line scheduling, video-on-demand, better search, MRV/HMC will all come eventually. Waiting is fine. Expect (hoping!) that much will be announced on Monday at CES.

But ...

I'm really struggling with Trickplay. Every night. FF through shows and commercials (both SD and HD) is so painful. I have the HR20 and Series3 right next to each other. I want the HR20 to win.

A) When I hit FF, it sometimes: 1) shows the FF speed (1X, 2X, ...) but doesn't change the picture (it freezes) but the time changes, or 2) it stutters thru the FF showing frames out of order. Also sometimes, there is a delay before the FF starts. Very erratic. Drives me nuts every day. Last night I just switched to the Series3. The Series3 FF is just so elegant. I'm hoping (praying) that this gets better with the next release.

B) With the Series3 I usually immediately remove all channels I don't care about from the "channels I receive list". Go in and hit select for every channel we never watch and then hit the thumbs up button for every favorite channel. Then we never see any channel we don't care about in the guide or search result. This is critical to my wife and kids because they regularly forget whether NY7 or WABC or ABCE was SD or HD. I usually just remove everything except the HD channel (WABC) and they're all set and never confused. Space is not a problem.

7. Jan 5, 2007 #7 of 25
    jclark

jclark DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Yes, I loved the FF on Tivo, but I have gotten quite used to the 30 sec slip and kind of prefer it. I does take a little bit to train yourself to use it, but it is quite usable.

8. Jan 5, 2007 #8 of 25
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I just hit the button 5 or 6 times...
    Then drop the remote... strech, reposition the "indent" on the couch...
    All is good.

9. Jan 5, 2007 #9 of 25
    jclark

jclark DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 4, 2006
    That is pretty funny. That is exactly what I like about hitting the 30 sec slip several times. You don't have to pay attention to stop it. If you go to far, hit the IR button a couple of times and all is good.

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    It rarely goes to far... and if it did... I got to see it when it zipped by, so I can judge if I want to waste the energy to pick the remote back up and RW.

11. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    You can hit the jump back button I think while it's in slip mode when you see it slipping too far.

I love the 30 second slip at its current speed. When I see a commercial or preview I want to see, I go back and watch it. (I'm not opposed to watching ads, I just hate seeing them OVER and OVER again.)

12. DennyC

DennyC Legend

Dec 24, 2002
    I'm experiencing the above-mentioned audio drops, too-- very annoying.

Additionally, I've had three recordings now that appear to have recorded correctly-- but when I attempt to play them back, I just get a black screen.

What's the common wisdom as to how to best avoid these situations?

13. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Don't use the HR20. That is the only way to avoid it.

Regarding "black screen recording" that is the unwatchable bug, documented in the big book of HR20 Bugs Which has been around since Aug.

Bug Name: Unwatchable Bug or negitive number recording, Older names include BSOD and Black Screen, these older usages of the names did not describe lockups in the HR20, rather just a black screen associated with playback and the death of that recording. These older names should not be confused with the newer more lethal bug now called the black screen bug these usages are listed here for historic reasons.

First Identified Report: 08-30-06, 05:17 PM by Wally_Gator

Prognosis: Loss of recording, no recovery

History/Status: Currently active in 0x10b has been in every release of code, bug may be on decline, fewer reports noted. For a period of time some users called the unwatchable bug the Black Screen of Death

Postings of interest on the subject:

Symptoms: When a recording is selected for playback, user will experience a black screen. User can use trick plays but there will be no change in video status, if the trick play has a counter, it will increment but screen will continue to be black. Users may notice that the time code may contain a negative number but it may also contain just zeros, example 0:-59 or -1:-29 or 0:00. Click here for many examples of the negative time code. If a recording is currently in progress and trick plays do not work, it is highly likely that this recording will suffer the Unwatchable Bug, this same symptom was also experienced with the Partial Bug (potentially eliminated under latest versions of the code). A reboot will remove all recordings with the Unwatchable bug
    [​IMG]

Example post of the Unwatchable Bug in 0x10b
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=757695&postcount=145
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=757765&postcount=150

Treatment: Delete the recording or reboot the HR20, your recording is lost.

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Since when was the Chris Matthews showed Filmed in your Dinning Room?
    :D One down side to a Plasma TV

15. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    LOL, Chris and I are close.

Too bad the art didn't show better; most of my collection is in that room, an original signed Picasso Litho and a piece of his pottery, a unsigned Matise litho and a few other nice works from other northen CA artists.

16. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I have found 6 seems to do the trick for almost every program

Uh oh Earl exposing ya record days of our lives:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. mattfro

mattfro AllStar

Dec 16, 2006
    How did recording a 700 channel go in your experiment? :mad:

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    On mine, I have to hit the button, wait a second, and then hit it 4 or 5 more times. If I press it 5 or 6 times right in a row, it will only catch the first one. Every time.

19. mjs31

mjs31 Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    Very good point. I actually don't mind the slip either. There are some funny commercials out there that I had missed and then hear people talk about them. We actually do stop on a couple now and then.
    Also...depending on the program..I hit the button 3-6 times right off the bat and when I see the show start I can then hit the back button 2 times and dead on 95% of the time.

20. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That is exactly how I use it...even if I run past a few seconds, it's almost never required to recover anything...I can see if anything important might be happening. I love the way SLIP works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.