I want my HBO

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Roger Wilder, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Roger Wilder

Roger Wilder New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    And what do those who switched to Dish from Direct because of price only to find that Dish is as greedy as Direct? And now Dish can't even offer HBO or Cinemax. I have been looking at the bundles At&t is offering and I can save 75$ a month by bundling my internet, phone, and TV.
    I think I am going back. I became one of Sattelite TV subscriber in 1994. I had to buy a sony tivo and a DIY package from Circuit city. It cost me almost 1000$ to hook up to Direct TV and after 15 years
    and seeing all the offers they were giving away and knowing how much I paid just to have their service, I decided to change. But greed comes in every channel. I am now paying as much as I did when I had Direct. And I don't even get to have HBO. I think that Dish isn't long for the world.
    So I am going to change before Dish goes upside down and Direct can charge whatever they want.
    I have watched as the number of Dish TV subscribers are leaving Dish TV and I think I will be one.
    So I ask how many Dish TV customers are also thinking of switching to Direct? I am a subscriber to AT&T wireless home phone and the price is almost too good to be true. Compared to a landline
    it is like Christmas. And now I can bundle all three, TV phone and internet, and in the first year alone save a 100$ a month. In fact, I have an appointment this February 4 for a tech to come and hook me up. I am a little concerned that AT&T no longer has any customer service here in the states and if you
    have to speak to someone about your service, that person will have a very thick Hispanic accent.
    I am told that I do have access to a hard line internet access but I am not so sure. They do have a
    wireless home internet service but it is a little expensive. I think I will go with a less amount of data for my internet service and give up streaming any video. But I really only use it to pay bills and do a
    little shopping, so I am going to change either way. I really don't know why I am ranting on about this, but I have to ask how many Dish TV customers are thinking of changing also?
    I can remember when the only channels I could watch were free and only three. And of course the TV
    was black and white but at least half of the shows were also only black and white.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    We have hbo with direct and are getting ready to leave for dish Going to get hbo now for when GOT comes back on Could care less about money. Tired of directvs crappy software and now the plan to get rid of mobile dvr.

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Wait, Dish doesn't have HBO either?

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That is correct.

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    How is that even possible...

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I can understand you being upset about it. I like HBO and after Dish lost it, I picked it up via streaming. But looking at what Direct TV costs the second year and on, I'll stay with Dish. I had no idea that Direct had increased their prices so much. Used to be Direct was just a hair higher than Dish, but now they have terrible prices. Their biggest package for $189 a month. Their package Ultimate like AT250 is like $160. To match what I pay for AT250 (Dish), I would have to drop down to one of Direct's smallest packages. I think there was one for about $80-$90. Yikes. Direct TV will not have me for a customer...

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AT&T (owner of HBO) is trying to screw DISH by forcing them to pay subscriptions for people who do not want HBO programming.
    The dispute continues.

NYDutch likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I haven't had HBO on D* for a few years. I do sub to HBO NOW. It's quite possible. PQ isn't as good but I don't have to look at a grid filled with the same movies over and over. Rarely used it for movies when I had it.

Rich

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Lower PQ? Have to pay full price? Separate subscription which means separate input? Streaming instead of just right there? No thank you.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A bit of difference, streamers like Hulu, Showtime, Starz and HBO NOW seem to be 720p. NF and Amazon Prime have better resolutions. Both have 4K and 1080p.

Separate subscriptions? Yes, you have to sub to each streaming video service but you can turn them all off when you don't need them. We don't use HBO NOW very much and that usually gets shut down after GoT each season. There's not much content that we haven't seen, kinda like what HBO on D* was like before we shut that down. A grid full of movies and series that we'd seen.

I don't know what you mean by "separate inputs".

Rich

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Think he means he would have the change the input on his TV

#firstworldproblems

12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    When I watch TV, I want to watch TV. I don't need to fiddle with Internet apps/inputs/buffering/etc. That is annoying. That is not TV.

Michael P and Rich like this.
  13. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    I’m pretty sure it is in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

compnurd and HiDefRev like this.
  14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "TV" should be streamlined. Smart TV integration and smart remotes help ... but having all of your content in one place makes viewing easier.

When I first got satellite TV (nearly 16 years ago) my locals were not available via satellite. I had watched the locals regularly at my old residence (cable included in rent) but I moved and chose satellite. The channels were available via antenna but it was easier to tune my satellite box to another satellite channel than to change channels on the TV to OTA. I took the easy path. Eventually my locals were added and now I watch them again. All channels available in the same guide ... all recordings on the same interface. All in one place.

The smart TV makes it easier (I can find and play satellite DVR content through the TV's GUI as well as streaming options or my BluRay player - or use the TV remote to control the satellite receiver GUI). But it is still easier to pick up my familiar remote and use the satellite receiver for everything.

I'm old ... keep it simple. Don't make me fiddle too much.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  15. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I'm sure there's a growing market for an app that coordinates a comprehensive program guide with the installed OTT apps on your streaming device for a one-click viewing choice. I have no idea whether that's even possible though...

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    While it could be doable I suppose, I can’t think of how it could be anything but awkward. For instance if TiVo offered the PSVue app they could provide the guide data for the channels, but when selecting a show on a channel it would have launch the app and go to that channel. Talk about horrible lag time from selection to playing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

NYDutch likes this.
  17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Well - there are always the smart programmable remotes, like the Logitech Harmonys. I have one but haven't used it in ages.

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Please note that this is the only post by the original poster.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Takes practically no time to switch HDMI inputs here..."Alexa, switch to HDMI3", that's all I do. Takes a couple seconds.

Rich

dtv757 likes this.
  20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Indeed. No more HDMI switching problems. Gotta love Amazon devices.

Rich