I want to keep my DirecTV Music on through my Receiver.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Joe Francis, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Joe Francis

Joe Francis New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I want to keep my DirecTV music on through my Yamaha Receiver. I just purchased the receiver (Yamaha RX-A760) on Thursday. When I shut off the TV with the receiver on, within 30 seconds the sound goes off. To get it to work, I have to unplug the HDMI from the DirecTV box and the music stays on. I do have Digital AV connected to the receiver which is allowing the sound.

I have turned off all of the power saving modes on the DirecTV box and the receiver. I also stopped the Anyconnect-CEC as well.

Does anybody know if there is a switch box or something to allow the music to go through without unplugging the HDMI cable from the DirecTV box?

Thank you in advance!
    JF

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You say you have Digital AV connected, by that do you mean HDMI or an optical or coaxial audio line? If you have the HDMI hooked up to the AVR then it is just acting as a pass-through and when the TV is off the handshake stops and the signal cuts off. In that case the only option is a powered HDMI splitter which completes the handshake with the DirecTV receiver and keeps the signal going. If you do have the optical or coaxial audio hooked up the hooking up the HDMI to the AVR.

3. Joe Francis

Joe Francis New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Longrider, I have Digital AV going from the DirecTV box to the receiver. The only HDMI is coming from the TV to the DirectTV box.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Its because your HDMI CEC (I think that is the right abbreviation) is turned on.

I have a Yamaha AVR also and what we have to do to listen to a DIRECTV music channel is turn off the TV and then either turn the AVR back on with the On/Off button on the AVR or using the Yamaha remote, Power button for just the AVR.

It is a pain, but most times we want the HDMI CEC working with the TV, HR44 Genie and AVR.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    This is happening because DIRECTV shuts off outputs if it sense an hdmi cable is plugged in and can't sense what it's plugged into via a proper handshake. Makes no difference if CEC is on or off. I believe Your Yamaha becomes the "tv" after a power cycle so that's why it works. When you cut power off to the tv while it's handshaked it goes nuts.

A powered switch or splitter on the hdmi might help. Not sure.

6. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    That explains it, as inkahauts said when the TV is turned off it loses the handshake and shuts off the outputs. A powered HDMI splitter will work, I have used one for years to feed the garage TV and never had the audio problems.

7. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    FWIW, I have a powered HDMI splitter to the TV and the optical goes to my AV receiver. When the TV goes off, the sound also goes off shortly afterward. HDMI control is off as well as power save on the HR54. So a powered HDMI switch may or may not help. Might depend on the make/model.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Then your HDMI splitter is not working. The HDMI splitter would keep the HDMI handshake alive when the TV is turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Joe Francis, You probably have it connected wrong. You should be able to turn off your tv without turning off the Directtv Box and the AVR.

I have an HDMI cable from the DTV box to my Denon AVR tv input, and pass thru from the AVR hdmi output zone 1 to an hdmi cable to the TV input 1. What this does is pass the sound and picture directly to the avr and pass the picture and sound to the tv. HOwever, if your AVR is on, then the AVR will always handle the sound. So if you turn off the tv, the sound is still going through to the AVR.

1. Should be HDMI from Directtv box HDMI output to AVR tv HDMI input, and HDMI from AVR HDMI output to TV HDMI input 1. You will need two HDMI cables, assuming your AVR has the pass through function. Otherwise, the way you have it connected won't work without the tv being on since the sound is being passed from the tv to the aVR.

2. If you have a BlueRay/DVD player, you only need to add an HDMI cable from the BD HDMI output, to the AVR BD HDMI input. You then can select which source you want to view via your AVR remote control.

3. I too have a digital cable from the TV output, to the aVR tv input, but I only use it when I use the TV Smart Function to view Netflix or Amazon. What that does is pass the tV sound to the AVR.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try 2 things:
    1. Go into settings on the DirecTV receiver and turn the HDMI control to OFF. Also Make sure CEC is turned to OFF in the Yamaha.

2. Run the HDMI cable from the DTV receiver to the Yamaha and then an HDMI from the Yamaha to the TV.

11. Joe Francis

Joe Francis New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I got it fixed. I ran the AV from the DirecTV box straight to the AV on the receiver and I also ran a HDMI cable to the HDMI HDCP2.2. Out and now it works fine. Thanks for the advice posted.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You are quite welcome.

Welcome to the Forum.

13. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Glad it worked.

14. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I had that issue, but I simply ran a digital audio cable from the box to the receiver.