1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice and Snow Damage

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by watcher, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watcher

watcher Guest

Hello out there....

I need a little advice.

We here in the mid-atlantic just got slammed with a pretty
    good snowstorm (no laughing from the snow belt please). Anyway my dish (mounted to my rather steep roof) is now
    completely and totally buried in the snow drift.

I have 2 questions.

1 What are the chances that the dish will
    survive undamaged from both the weight of the snow and the
    exposure to all the water of the snow melting.

2 Is there any kind of dish heater that is available on the market to handle these kind of situations?

Thanks.

-J

2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    J.,

As long as the dish was not bent it most likely will be O.K. If you or your installer used weathertight connectors (and/or weather proofed them) exposure to the melting snow shouldn't be a problem either.

There are dishes that have built-in heaters and there are some add-ons that can be applied to the back of the dish. I really don't know how effective they are in very heavy snows but they do a good job on lighter snowfalls. Here is a place that sell the Perfect 10 Hot Shot Dish . I have never done business with this vendor. The link is just to show you what you may be looking for.

3. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    ROFL!!!! A dish HEATER?!?!?? HAHAH

anyone seen the new stupid comcast commercials where the old fogeys are outside trying to figure out how to clean their dish and they end up knocking if off the wall of their house with a broom?

all i kept thinking was .."if they're that damn stupid ..they don't need a dish"

4. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    btw..why am i seeing comcast commercials on dish? and why do I also keep seeing DirecTV commercials on DISH?

5. Tomsoundman

Tomsoundman Godfather/Supporter

Jun 17, 2002
    On a semi related story, local Fox affiliate's broadcast tower fell from ice buildup. it is WVAH in Huntington/Charleston WV. Still no info. on their website. Wonder how long that will be down....

6. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    They actually do make a dish heater.... don't recall where I saw it.

You could use that electrified pipe wrap for water pipes... you would find that at home depot.

7. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    hey Neal...

what is your Avatar?

8. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    As of this morning, the dish was still compeltely buried. At least now I can see a deformation in the surface of the snow where I think that the Dish is.

I will let you know if it survived as soon as it thaws out. We had warm weather yesterday and today so hopefully it will not take too much longer to thaw out.

I thought of the pipe warming tape but I didn't know if that stuff was good for enviornmental exposure. My understanding is that it was really meant for pipes inside of exterior walls that freeze and not for pipes that are actually outside. I looked a little at the dish warmers, they are about 100 bucks.

Later,

-J

9. KenIdaho

KenIdaho Mentor

Dec 3, 2002
    I tried using heat tape on my dish a year or two ago and it did not work. The tape did not stay on very well and the dish had snow build up. I got a sick on heater from e-bay for $20. I have not had any troubles since then as long as I remembered to turn it on.

10. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    :eek:

11. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    I got a message back from the Dish support staff and they tell me that the LNB unit is actually a sealed unit so I should not have trouble with the melting of snow that completely surrounds the dish. Is the dish damaged from the weight of the snow? Don't now yet. As of this morning, I was able to see about 1 sq inch of the arm through the snow. Better than it was but still not good enough to get a signal.

some of you might be wondering why I am obsessed with this so much. 2 reasons - 1, I am more addicited to TV than I was willing to admit and 2, I just bought a 508 and am anxious to get it up and running.

-J

12. JStanton

JStanton AllStar

Dec 5, 2002
    The longer it's "underwater", I imagine the more likely it is to be damaged. If you're so addicted, why haven't you gotten up there and shoveled it off?

- Jim

13. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    It is an 8/12 roof so it is pretty steep and covered with snow and ice. I am pretty addicted
    but the probability of death is just a little too high. In short - my wife will not let me.

-J

14. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I don't blame ya J, I wouldn't get on the roof, especially a steep one thats snow covered. As I get older I'm not near as comfortable with heights as I used to be.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    But if you fall, you'll land in all of that white fluffy goodness.

16. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    One side is the driveway, the other is the deck. Over the edge I land in snow but you are from around here, you know how god awful packed it is right now, it would be like landing on the driveway.

By the way Cyclone, congrads on your 100th posting.

17. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    WVAH-11 in WV is still out but some cable companies have the station up now.

No power or phone for 5 days, no water at times and now contaminated. Electric went out AGAIN for 4 hours last night after it was restored for almost a day. Trees down everywhere, including a couple dozen pine trees that will probably have to be cut down bc they are snapped in half, completely down, or bent over very badly due to ice. Everyone in the county had no power for 2 days. Some people close to here still have no power. Seen a power pole snapped in half on the hill behind me before they got it fixed. Could not get food or gas because of now electric for days. Was not allowed to drive on the road for a while or you get a ticket even though it was clear. State of emergency was called. Bad flooding south of me.

This is why I could not get on these forums for about a week.

18. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Papillo-j, Your dish setup should survive just fine as long as it was mounted firmly in place.

Keep warm.....

19. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    Wow Jacob....

After that one I guess I should stop wining that my satellite is out! I hope that they get your basics back up and running (power, water, etc) quickly.

My dish is almost completely thawed out. I am able to see one satellite (110). When I go into the "Dish 500" section, it shows the one satellite as locked and with a pretty good percentage (not as good as it used to be but increasing) but it can't lock onto the second satellite at all. The bar stays red and it giving a reading but it says "wrong sat Echostar 110" which is also the name is says for the sat that it can lock onto. Perhaps I really did mess up my alignment? Or could it be that even though the dish is thawed out there still might be some snow in its path and I really can't see the second bird?

More thawing today, I am still hoping......

-J

20. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Papillo-J, You may have to perform a "check switch" function.
    This will simply run through a couple acquisition routines, allowing IRD to lock onto the appropriate spacecrafts as defined in soft code. Keep us informed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.