1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE 8 not properly opening windows....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Richard King, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, this has been going on for a few weeks now and I have found no resolution. I am using IE8 and all was well for quite a while, but, now when I click on a link, very often the click will open a new window, the site address will appear as it should in the address window at the top, but the site won't load (eventually timing out). Usually at the bottom of the new window it will say "Waiting for ......" and never finish. I can copy the site address and paste it in an already open window and it will open just fine. The problem comes with secure sites, which won't load properly either way. Any suggestions? The problem occurs less freqently when opening in a new tab, but still occurs enough to be very bothersome. Right now I have a secure message waiting for me from my bank that I can't read. :(

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Richard.. try this, it might be your problem:

1. Close all IE windows.
    2. Open Task Manager
    3. Goto processes tab
    4. See if there is a process call ielowutil.exe still running
    5. If it is, end it.

Now try and see if your browser returns to normal.

3. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  4. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    No offense, but it's not like we don't know that there are other browsers out there. Some of us like IE & don't like the other browsers. I have tried all of the other browsers myself & just prefer IE, warts & all.

5. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    None taken.
    It's always a good idea to have an alternative browser waiting in the wings, regardless of which one you choose to be your primary one.
    In the above case, Richard was waiting for an important message from his bank, which he couldn't get to with IE.

By having Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or another alternative browser at the ready, he could have quickly determined if the glitch was in IE (the most likely scenario) or a problem with the banking site itself.

I'm glad you like IE. Happy for you.
    I think it's the equivalent of running an open horse-drawn wagon loaded with gold through the ghetto in the middle of the night.
    Yeah, you might it there with no problems. :lol:

6. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I tried, but the window wouldn't open. ;)

Actually, I've used Mozilla in the past and it also had problems which is why I am back at IE.

7. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks for the try, but it wan't open. :(

8. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Richard, what OS are you running?

If you are on 7 you can go to the Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows Features On or Off and uncheck IE8. Then let it uninstall and reboot. Finally go back in and check it again to reinstall it.

IE8 is not insecure at all, in fact it has a better patch rate than Firefox.

None of the major modern browsers are super insecure. Some are just targeted more (Firefox and IE specifically), and some are patched quicker.

9. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    That would have been helpful information in the first post.

10. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, I think you misunderstood. I just made a feeble attempt at humor. I tried clicking your link (in IE8), but IT wouldn't open. I then pasted the site in an open window and it went just fine, which is where I realised what you were pointing me to. Like I said though, I've been there and had problems with FF in the past which is why I am using IE8.