1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if a channel is on 2 sats, how to make it prefer one

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by plarkinjr, Jan 22, 2009.

1. plarkinjr

plarkinjr AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    So, I have a Dish 1000 on the roof pointed at 110, 119 & 129. Installer came out and put another dish up pointed at 61.5, and wired it into the Dish 1000 LNB-set. Relative signal strengths are:

110 & 119: in the 80s
    129: in the 40's
    61.5: in the 60's

So, for example HISTORY HD channel 120 is carried on 129 and 61.5, but it always says it is coming from 129. I'd prefer to have it (and all other duplicated channels) come from 61.5 since its signal strength is so much better.

I've hunted around in the setup menus and cannot find a setting for that. How do I do it? Thanks!

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    This is done automatically in the receiver. There is no way to select what Sat to get the signal from for a particular channel other than removing the Sat signal it is getting it from (Physically removing it).

3. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    I thought you could cover the 129 LNB with foil, and re-run check-switch? Or would you have to unhook 129 entirely from the multi-switch?

61.5 and 129 have all HD channels mirrored (except a few PPV's I think) so you really don't need both.

When my installer installed my 61.5 wing dish, he removed the 129 LNB entirely. I'm glad, I get 61.5 great.

4. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    That is what I meant by physically removing it. ;) In other words, you can do it through 722/622/612 software configuration.

5. langlin

langlin Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    The beauty of having both ( I do in Arkansas) is rain fade, sometimes 61.5 is still there when 129 fades and visa virsa.

6. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    ^^^
    If a channel is available on both, and rain fade causes one to go out, does it switch on the fly, or require a reboot? That is actually a good reason to get both.

Gotcha! I wasn't trying to act like I knew more about the box than you, trust me. ;)

7. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Didn't think that at all. Sometimes I am not the most clearest of people when I comment on an issue. Always appreciate people adding details, other ways of looking at it and downright corrections when I am not clear enough or totally unclear which I know happens more than I would like it to happen.

8. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Dish keeps promising they're going to fix the weak 129 signals with a new satellite. As with many things from Dish, patience is required. Meanwhile I agree a way to select which satellite is the default would really be nice.

9. plarkinjr

plarkinjr AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    That is essentially my question as well... the installer was saying that having the channels on two visible birds provides a backup, like if DiSH has to do maintenance on one bird, the other bird would still provide the programming.

And there's more to the story since my original post:

After the installer ran check switch and we checked all the signal strengths (values listed in original post), hitting INFO twice on several key HD channels showed it using 129 (hence my original post). Several hours after my original post, I hit INFO twice again on those same HD channels (and many others). In each case, it was showing 61.5. I did not reboot the receiver between these, but I did check signal strengths again, and visit the System Info->Details screen. This leads me to believe that over time (less than 6 hours), the receiver must detect that one bird is stronger than another, and begins to favor it for duplicated content. I was worried I'd have to go in to all my timer events and make sure they were getting their content from the stronger bird.

Weakness of 129, resulting in several minutes of pixelation, freezes and drop-outs at least once per 1-hour HD program was a major reason for getting an additional dish pointed at 61.5 installed (the other was to see the Pentagon channel). We shall see if the main issue is resolved.

10. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    I have a dish pointed at 129 and another at 61.5. More often than not (when I think to check) my receivers will be using the 61.5 bird, so my assumption is that they tend to automatically seek out and use the more stable signal source wherever it’s available.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    There is a database, assigned by zipcode, that tells the receiver which satellite to prefer if both are present, nothing to do with signal strength.

When the nightly update is done and checkswitch run it selects the assigned satellite if it is present.

12. plarkinjr

plarkinjr AllStar

Feb 12, 2008

OK! Mystery solved! Thanks for the info!!!

13. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    Interesting…and thanks for clearing it up!

I wonder why I am getting a mix of channels coming from both the 61.5° and the 129° birds? I’m in So Cal where the 61.5° bird is very low on the eastern horizon ~ in fact because of the offset, that dish appears to look at the ground. The reason I have that dish goes back to the VOOM package initially only being available on the 61.5° bird.

14. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Interesting. I would say my channels are split about even between 61.5 and 129. Since I'm in an EA area I would think this database would use 61.5 all of the time.