1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If anyone who works for D* is here, the 101 ads have to go!!( far too loud!!)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ARKDTVfan, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
    We're not deaf here!!! Well we weren't until these ads come on

turn the volume down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Agreed. All D* ads are way too LOUD!!! ANNOYING!!!

3. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Something must be wrong with there AD machine, set way to loud compare to what ever plays the normal shows.

4. scott72

scott72 Icon

Feb 17, 2008
    +1..Terrible, just terrible..

5. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    I have noticed a lot of channels do the same thing. At one time I was looking for an audio limiter to keep the level the same but gave up. We used to have one on our broadcast transmitter at a radio station I once worked at and was wondering if there is such a thing for the consumer market?? The ones I found are big rack mount clunky things.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I have the same issue with all ads on out FOX station.

7. TomCat4680

TomCat4680 Godfather

Nov 17, 2008
    I find the mute button very useful. your remote should have one too if your tv was made after 1985.

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I find it more useful to not have to use it to combat obnoxiously loud commercials... not the point being made here.

9. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Agreed. I have noticed that pretty much ANY DirecTV commercial, regardless of the network it's aired on, is ridiculously loud and annoying. This leads me to believe that it is the DirecTV insertion system that is the root of the issue. And I agree that it needs to be corrected ASAP.

10. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I fast forward though all the commercials for a darn good reason!

11. Blackice_WV

Blackice_WV Cool Member

Oct 9, 2006
    With all due respect, how do you fast forward when watching live TV? Love my DVR but I haven't figured out how to make it advance into the future. Like a lot of people, I play my audio through my home theater system, which just amplifies the annoyance. The 101 commercials are obscenely loud!!!

12. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Why would it need to advance to the future as long as you're watching recorded shows?

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    At least for me, watching recorded sporting events isn't as fun. And the ending is often spoiled as well.

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If your surround system has a "midnight mode" or its equivilent, that helps. It boosts low level, and cuts high levels. Its basically a consumer grade compressor. Most surround systems and lots or hdtv's have this.

I HAVE TO AGREE THO, the "upgrade" commercial tripped the circuit breaker on my sub!

15. 5 ACES

5 ACES Legend

Dec 27, 2007
    Agreed!! Tone it down, or get rid of them!!!

16. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Yes, thank you!

I wish the FCC would step in, for once in a positive manner, and regulate advertising sound levels. I'm tired of having to mute my surround sound on sporting event commercials cause I don't want to pop an eardrum :nono2:

Yes, FOX is horrible

17. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    For the time being, the mute button is going to be your best bet..

Here's the deal: Television shows and commercials are both broadcast at the same audio power levels... the maximum permitted by the FCC. What happens is actually fairly simple.. when you listen to a television show the audio is a mix of highs and lows that are used for effect and average out pretty well to acceptable levels.

Commercial audio is done with everything on "high". One article I read on this compared it in this way: in a tv show the highest volume levels are like a flashbulb going off, in a commercial it is a spotlight that stays on.

CNET.com referred to it in an article as “perceived loudness.” If you’re watching a drama with soft music and quiet dialogue and the station slams into a commercial for the July 4th Blow Out Sale, it’s going to be jarring. If you happen to go from the program into a commercial for a sleeping pill, one with a subtle soundtrack, it probably won’t bother you.

Supposedly help is on the way in the form of something from Dolby Labs called "Dolby Volume" which will level out the sound differences that take place during shows and between TV programs and commercials. You pick the volume you like and the Dolby software will make the adjustments in real time automatically.

Dolby Volume could show up in some TV sets by the end of this year or early next year.

Of course, it means another new TV.

18. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    No, that's not the deal. It's the DirecTV ads and only those that we're complaining about. They're too loud. Besides, what's the difference what the audio power level is? What matters is how loud they are, and they're too loud.

19. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I use a Audiovox VR1. Works great and only about $25.
    RED/WHITE hookup.

SSTV

20. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    DirecTV ads or anyone elses... they are all the same issue.