1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If DISH has my locals in HD, why doesn't DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Sammy2368, Jan 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sammy2368

Sammy2368 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    I'm in the Lexington, KY market and noticed that DISH Network is now offering my locals in HD. Why isn't DirecTV? It's not even on their website for upcoming areas... :mad:

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Because they don't have a contract to do it yet. :)

3. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I'm sure D* is working on it or will be soon, but it's the same for some DMA's with Dish that have locals in SD but not HD. I'm lucky I'm in a DMA that D* has both, with the exception of PBS but I never watch it anyways!!!

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Also there are lots of markets that DirecTV has HD locals in that Dish doesn't. Just a matter of contracts, timing and how many subs they think they'll gain in one market over another.

5. Sammy2368

Sammy2368 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks for all the quick replies... Question though, what's a "DMA"?

6. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    DMA=Designated Market Area.

Dish chose Lexington as a good place to launch most likely because DirecTV doesn't carry HD locals. Why match the competition in one DMA when you can one-up them in another.

7. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    It can be a number of factors. It might be negotiating contracts with the channels. It might be infrastructure to handle the channel, EG local receive facilities, uplink capacity etc. It could be space on a appropriately aimed spot beam. Could be based on the number of sub in the area, the HD penetration and the predicted subs.

With that said DirecTV has been rolling out a lot of locals and seems to be planning to continue that with it's next planned sat launch. I'm sure HD locals will come sooner or later.

8. Sammy2368

Sammy2368 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    Well, my contract is up in June. We'll cross the sooner or later bridge then. If I don't have them by June and/or the Lexington, KY market isn't on the "Coming soon" list, I might have to take the jump to DISH. Of course depending on pricing, and packages, etc...

Thanks again for all the information!!

9. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Lexington is scheduled for HD in 2009.

Sammy, why is it that some markets D* has HD and E* doesn't? :D Has a lot to do with how they design the spot beams on the satellites, contractual agreements, etc, etc.