If DTV could move a dish, I'd still be a customer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jfalk, Jul 20, 2014.

1. jfalk

jfalk New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Just my postmortem to my DTV experience: after being a largely satisfied customer for 15 years I needed to get my dish moved. 8 talks with CSRs later, 8 apologies rendered, not a single successful trip to my home for the move. I don't blame the CSRs per se... they are all trained to be polite, because in the presence of a system that gives them inaccurate information and through the lack of power to actually do anything, there is little they can do other than be polite and apologetic. The incompetence shown was so shocking I couldn't stay any longer.... FiOS scheduled to be installed tomorrow. It might not be any better, but they certainly seem more attentive at this point...

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The test is never when you are onboarding as a customer, it's when you have an issue as a current customer.

1 person likes this.
  3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm curious about why they wouldn't move it or why you needed it moved.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    They could not ,would not or did not want to move your dish. Could you elaborate some more.

5. jfalk

jfalk New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    It was a mess... Since I had to move my dish (i was mounted on a balcony which had sustained structural damage and won't be repaired for a couple of months) I decided to upgrade to a Genie and a couple of wireless clients "for free." (The "for free" came with a new two-year contract, but why should I care? Famous last words...) The problem (apparently) is that DTV's system cannot schedule a dish move and an upgrade on the same work order. So the first CSR scheduled an upgrade and put the move in the installer notes. The installer arrived, noted that there was no line item on the work order for a move, and was told to leave by his supervisor, on the grounds that the installer wouldn't get paid for the move. The next set of CSRs tried to solve this problem, but the next install (which might have been OK, who knows) was postponed because of bad weather, and the reschedule was done without telling me, causing me to miss work. The CSR I spoke to on that day told me they would be sure to be there two days hence. On the reschedule day, i called DTV and they denied a reschedule had actually gone into the system, even though I had received an email (with no time on it) regarding the reschedule. At that point I had had it and cancelled service, for which DTV (as of right now) is still attempting to hose me for a $110 exit termination fee because I had re-upped. As you can imagine, that call didn't go well.

There is more, like somebody lying about where the dish needed to be moved, claiming it was in too difficult a location. (It is immediately next to the dish in the adjoining townhouse, on the second floor easily ladder accessible and right next to the cable from the old dish.) But I'd put too much of my life into this already, and was now going on two and half weeks without service.

Oh, and by the way, they are now bombarding me with new offers.... way too little, way too late.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not to piss on your cornflakes, but you miss work because you wanted to.

I would seem to me that you over completed the matter. You could of just schedule the Genie install and talk to the tech where you wanted the dish moved. This is why I keep saying, leave the details for the person that matters....

7. jfalk

jfalk New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    I missed work to get a dish move. They didn't move the dish, so I essentially use up a day of vacation without getting accomplished what I had been promised.

That's exactly what I did do,. He refused because it wasn't on the work order.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why not wait until you day OFF to schedule the move? You CHOSE to take the day off out of convenience and saw DirecTV® as the excuse...

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don't understand why they wouldn't just get the work order modified? I recently called in for a realign due to a storm, but due to placement of the old dish (in the middle of the roof) he wasn't allowed to access it. So he just called in and got the work order changed to install a new dish, and swapped my HR34 for a HR44 while he was at it. I think you might have just got an installer that was a bit on the lazy side.

10. jfalk

jfalk New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    You could say that, except that waiting three weeks for television service (the next weekend they had available) was not worth it to me. Of course, since I never actually got service.... I had no problem taking a day off and getting what I was promised. it was taking the day off and getting nothing that pissed me off.

As to why they wouldn't change the order on the fly, I guess you'd have the tech firm. i asked, and they refused. They said it was because DTV wouldn't pay them for changes.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And others have said we're inconsiderate if we schedule for a day we have off and installers have to work weekends/holidays. I'd want to be told if it needed to be rescheduled, just like it's considerate to tell the customer you have to go back to the warehouse etc instead of just driving off with an uncompleted job.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Customers DONT decide what days the installers works, that is done by DirecTV® or the HSP. They decide to wether keep the calendar "open" or "closed" if is closed, then no one can schedule for that day, if is open, well is a regular day.