If E* drops the Viacom channels...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SParker, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2004 #1 of 34
    SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    How many of your guys are switching tomorrow? Just want to get a pulse on the situation. I think I will switch tomorrow if this happens.

2. Jan 7, 2004 #2 of 34
    btbrossard

btbrossard Mentor/Supporter

Oct 4, 2002
    I won't be able to switch - my kids will kill me when they can't watch Nick or Noggin ;) .

If all the Viacom channels are gone, I will most likely go back to cable. Even if the channels look bad, at least I can watch them.

/Benjamin

3. Jan 7, 2004 #3 of 34
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They will be back. Wouldn't be absolutely STUPID to switch because of a brief outage? :rolleyes:

JL

4. Jan 7, 2004 #4 of 34
    SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    Well I think I am going to switch anyways when the HD Tivo comes out but I would prefer to wait till then.

5. Jan 7, 2004 #5 of 34
    btbrossard

Oct 4, 2002
    Is it stupid for E* customers to expect that they are going to get the channels that they paid for?

E* is selling a product. If they decide that they are not going to offer the product I want to purchase, why should I continue to spend money with them?

/Benjamin

6. Jan 7, 2004 #6 of 34
    Sherlock

Sherlock Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Colorado
    ...and if you don't watch any of those channels, would you feel it's fair to have your rates increased so others can?

7. Jan 8, 2004 #7 of 34
    btbrossard

Oct 4, 2002
    My rates have gone up to have ESPN available. I have never watched ESPN.

/Benjamin

8. Jan 8, 2004 #8 of 34
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Temporarily removing a feed is not deciding not to offering the feed. For all you know the channels could be restored Friday or later Thursday. To make a snap decision due to to a temporary outage is ... well I've already said the word. :D

If you're really ticked, ask for a refund. Figure out how many channels in your package were cut, pro-rate the based on total number of channels and number of days lost. THATS how much you are paying for those channels. Include all channels in the package, not just your pet favorites - since on a daily basis you are paying for ALL channels in your package not just your favorites.

Feel free to cancel for any reason you choose. But to cancel for a temporary outage is ... stupid.

JL

9. Jan 8, 2004 #9 of 34
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    I think $10.00 credit a month is about right.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sound's like the math the IRS uses to claim taxes. :lol:

JL

11. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    You guys are overreacting. Do you think that Charlie will allow DOZENS of popular channels to be dropped? No. It would be absolutely ridiculous of Charlie to pull such a folly on his customers. I can see the reasoning behind the dropping of ESPN Classic a while back, but DOZENS of channels being dropped simultaneously? Nah...chill out fellas. :)

12. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Plus there's the coincidence of this hitting at the annual rate hike.

What makes more sense, using ultimately successful negotiations as an excuse for the predetermined rate increase, or having to tell subs, "Your rates went up, but the good news is we got rid of those pesky Viacom channels."?

Not to mention, if the Viacom channels go, would that drop the E* channel count below 60/120/180? ;)

13. willy

willy Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    GUYS-

The last thing E* wants is to lose these channels. They admitted in a news article that it would be "irrepairable". Every damn conspiracy theorist is thinking "Charlie might drop these channels, and increase our rates."

The rate increase has to do with INFLATION, and nothing with the Viacom deal-- it isnt even through negotiations, so how can they use that as a reason. The bottom line is the company has to answer to shareholders. Period. And when costs to provide the service increase, so do rates, or the company can suffer.

They are trying to *LOWER* costs. This isnt E* holding out for a lower price. They are apparently getting bullied into buying more channels when they just want to renew locals in certain markets.

And to say "Oh I think $10 a month is fair". Well assuming you have the AT150(AT180), that works out mathematically if they remove 42 channels that are available to you specifically. Far from it bud.

14. screamingmonkey

screamingmonkey Cool Member

Jan 8, 2004
    If E* dropped these channels (and I don't think they are that stupid) not only will I drop them but I will file a complaint with the State Attorney Generals office for false and deceptive advertising, since they advertised that these channels are available, and I subscribed because of those channels being available. It is a valid complaint, especially if they don't give people notice that they are removing them (the cable company always gave 30 days notice of removing a channel).

I know some people claim it is foolish to drop the service becuase of a brief removal of a channel, but no, it isn't. If Echostar does not care enough about their customers that they are willing to use them as pawns, then screw 'em.

15. willy

willy Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    SIGH--- I agree with 80% of what you say.

Do you have a right to switch? YES- and I probably will too *if* the channels are dropped.

Huh? Did you read my post? What makes you think you are being treated like a pawn? Read the Reuters article on the lawsuit announcement last night. Echostar refuses to be bullied into BUYING ADDITIONAL CHANNELS, when it is only trying to renew ones it carries currently. Trying to save you money is apparently "treating you like a pawn", and shows they "dont care about your customers".

You *should* move to cable. A company tries to make a smart deal and not get bullied into spending more $$, and you get upset at them for that. I really dont get it.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Now they know how their customers feel where all we want is a specific channel but we have to pay for a bunch of others we don't want.

17. willy

willy Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    Yep, you are right. They should change thier policy and get a list from RAD on what channels he wants, and stop feeding all other channels through to america. ;)

You have to make everyone happy... there will always be channels that folks dont want.

18. screamingmonkey

screamingmonkey Cool Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Because they are threatening to drop channels we already have in order to renew rights to OTHER channels. Threatenind Viacom with "we will drop your channels - screw you" at the expense of the Dish subs is using me as a pawn. Negotiate away, but don't threaten to drop the channels, like they always do, which punishes the subs as much as the provider. I returned as a Dish sub after being on cable for a year BECAUSE of some of the MTV Network channels (Noggin as an example) that my cable provider was not offering at the time.

This isn't about the Viacom channels, per se, it is about renewing the CBC O&O channels at a fair price. Our cable company ASKED the subs whether to renew a channel at a higher rate, or remove it from the system. Dish thinks I would want to lose a BUNCH of Viacom channels rather than pay a higher rate. I do not want rates to go up, but if they have to in order to keep the channels I already have, then so be it. I already pay more because of some channels I don't watch (ESPN). I would mind the NickToons channel, so if they add, they add it. I really hope they do, my kids would love it.

Anyway, I think people have jumped to conclusions on this whole matter. Nowhere I have seen a report that Dish is considering removing the MTV Network channels, only the CBS O&O's.

19. willy

willy Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    You are mistaken.

The lawsuit press release says DISH is trying to negotiate renewal of CBS locals, and Viacom wont renew then unless E* buys new channels along with the renew.

So, E* isnt threatening anything. Its more like they CANT renew what they have without buying more, and they refuse to just be bullied into spending more $$. Do you agree?

Here's the direct quote:

And this quote below sounds more like its VIACOM that is threatening removing the channels, NOT Echostar:
    Nowhere do I see that E* is planning on pulling ALL Viacom channels because of this dispute. Again, I fail to see what E* is doing wrong in your opinion. If you were Charlie.. What *exactly* would you see as the solution? Succumb to the Viacom bullying and buy more channels that you dont want (== another rate hike)? Or try to negotiate more? Or file a lawsuit for unfair trade like he has?

20. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Well you are going to switch providers a lot. My local cable company has problems from time to time as well. Do does D*. But if you want to keep switching ----go ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.