1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If FCC's "Must Carry" passes, Discovery may hold back HD channels.

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by man_rob, Jul 18, 2007.

1. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
  2. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    Oh, yeah. Swanni is *NEVER* wrong! :nono2:

(Just kidding--I see this is an actual press release from Discovery's P.R. hit team trying to lobby the FCC.)

3. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    I like to think that there are enough satellite subscribers out there that Discovery would still get a strong viewer base for the new HD channels. Unfortunately, I don't have access to raw statistics on the number of satellite subscribers versus cable.

:rolleyes:

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't see it being as big of a problem as it may seem on the surface for Cable-Co's.

I know here in Chicago.. Comcast has just flipped or is about to flip the digital switch, and eliminated the analog channels (except locals)...

So that just oppened up a MAJOR amount of bandwith for them (So they claim), hence why they just added a few more HD networks.

The relatively small space that ANALOG locals (The minimum for must carry), probably = Total amount of 1 maybe 2 HD networks

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think this is all a lot of sabre-rattling right now on both sides, and I agree that there is enough satellite penetration (that all meet the 100% digital standard) to justify any investment from Discovery.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 15
    kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    If "must carry" DOES NOT pass, maybe broadcasters will take all their signals off of satellite and cable, and just make you buy an OTA antenna to get them. After all, wasn't "crappy OTA analog reception" the reason most people got cable? :rolleyes:

7. Aug 8, 2007 #7 of 15
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    It's the other way around. Analog takes up a huge amount of bandwidth. One analog channel takes the bandwidth of 2 HD channels, or 8-10 SD QAM digital channels.

They should and then maybe the industry will wake up and realize what a waste and out of date method local TV is. I'm all for scraping local channels and the affiliate system completely and having national networks. National feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and the CW. If I lost my local channels completely I’d just download the content I’d be missing off the internet anyway. I’m not supporting my ‘local’ broadcasters any more then I have to.

8. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    And when you can figure out how to supply the networks with $6 - $8 Billion or so dollars in annual revenue - each - I am sure they will be happy to drop the affiliate system.

Actually, it would be more than that as they would be forced to recoup the added bandwidth costs.

9. digitalfreak

digitalfreak Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    At the beginning of Wednesday's Mythbusters, there was a blurb at the bottom of the screen saying "This program is also available in HD".

10. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
  11. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Get real......Discovery is owned primarily by the company that is trying to buy D*.

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I noticed that too, and the guide data on ch 278 said "HD", but D* does not offer Discovery HD yet. Darn! Mythbusters in HD would be cool. Can't wait until later this year.

13. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Mythbusters HD was indeed cool. And what an episode to start with!!!!:lol:

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Do you get Discovery HD from E* or cable? Was the whole program in HD or just parts? I know they use a lot of handheld cameras on the show. Can't wait until we get Discovery HD on D*.

15. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    We get it from E* and the whole program appeared to be in HD. When we watched Dirty Jobs last week (prior to the new HD channels starting), they showed Mike Rowe using a handheld to do closeups on birds in their nest and the camera had an "HD" lable on it so even handhelds can be HD.