1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If UHF is now VHF but same station as DirectTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Lefky, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    Crazy Question: Two of Washington's DC stations, channel 9 and 7, formally on UHF has switched their digital to VHF. But since Direct TV also broadcasts the stations on 9 and 7, how can I pick up these stations using an OTA antenna hooked up to an HR20/100. We have had lots of storms and OTA is my backup for rain fade.

Thanks

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Just use the antenna setup and enter your zip code to see what they have in the database for your zip. If its up to date then that should get it.

3. patsrule316

patsrule316 Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    Either Directv hasn't updated yet, or there is some other problem, because I tried to use the antenna setup a couple times this morning, and I still can't get 7-1 or 9-1.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That just means that Tribune has not updated the guide yet. If its not fixed by Monday I have a number you can call Tribune and have them fix it. Took them less then 24 hours to fix mine for me.

5. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    I think his issue is that the new digital OTA channel is just a single number without the "-" and it is also the same channel through DirecTV

6. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    Doing a rescan has not helped me or my neighbors.

7. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    This issue may be the antenna you are using. Many people were sold "HDTV" antennas that are UHF only.
    indoor
    UHF only
    [​IMG]

UHF/VHF
    [​IMG]

I extended the dipoles as pictured and the VHF-Hi stations in Phoenix came in. If they are VHF-lo, the instructions say to fully extend them horizontally. The VHF-lo stations in Phoenix stayed on their UHF slots.

8. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    The OTA Channel will still have the dash. The guide should look exactly the same before the transition as after.

9. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    After creating a crazy antenna configuration, I finally picked up the two DC stations. Once picked up, my receiver re-enabled the -1 channels. The interesting thing is almost every I talked too who uses an OTA antenna in the DC area, have lost either one or both of these stations. It looks like most indoor and some outdoor UHF/VHF antennas cannot pick up these new digital VHF stations. You should read the comments on these station's web sites, People are pissed

Thanks everyone

10. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    My Direct TV Hr20 700 DVR box also cannot pick up ch. 7 or 9 from Washington, all other ch, come in clear as a bell, both Wash. and Balt.

11. smokes20

smokes20 Godfather

Sep 17, 2007