If & When SWMLine is released to public?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by tekie99, Apr 15, 2008.

1. tekie99

tekie99 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Do all the testers accounts get updated to reflect the SWMLine dish we have installed for people with Equipment Protection?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Does Equipment Protection list what dish you have?

3. tekie99

tekie99 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

I am not sure, or is this a trick question? I would only assume if I called in and reported a dish issue they would have to see I had all HD receivers and then only assume I had a slimline or a AT9 dish...

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    My basic understanding and experience is this: once a field test is closed and you are then able to call CSRs, all the normal rules for owned equipment are back in play. If you have PP, you are better covered for most things than not.

I don't think my account has ever shown details like which dish or switches I have. Just that I have receivers and services. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    Actually, I have seen dish types in my account. One receiver will have no dish listed, another receiver has Oval, the next receiver says something else... They were never all the same. I haven't checked in awhile so maybe they got rid of it. I know they now ask about what dish you have just so they can see if you're ready for HD or not.

6. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Once this field trial is closed, do you think they will be ready for an SWMLine call? I think we'll be ppsting here. Then asking Earl and the rest of the mods for help for a while personally. :)

7. Coffey77

Nov 12, 2006
    I have a feeling one of the only "Issues" with the SWMLine will be keeping it in stock and the number of requests for it/complaints for not having one will be through the roof. ;)

8. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Yea you'r right. I think the PI could be a request too. Since I have mine plugged directly in to the wall and not on a surge protector a lightning strike, or a power surge could burn it up. I may know better, but alot of folks don't. My parents are a prime example. These are just thoughts, cause these things are great!

9. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    If & When SWMLine is released to public...
    This forum should be required reading for all installers :D

10. Coffey77

Nov 12, 2006
    You mean it's not already??!! :D

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I am not real sure about that one!

SWMLine does impose some serious limitations:

Limited to 8 tuners
    No support for legacy devices
    No flexports

I was just thinking about it, out of all my family and friends I can only think of maybe 2 others who might really love the SWMline. All the others would be forced into either having to maintain legacy devices, install additional dishes, and/or upgrade existing equipment.

12. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Think of new subs instead of existing subs and you'll see the value, I think. I'm somewhere in between, having received SWM compatible receivers about a year ago when I was new, then adding one more recently.

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I think that the SWMLine will be mainly targeted to new customers (as noted by bakers12), who won't have the legacy equipment issues. I also don't think that a large percentage of customers use more than 8 tuners, though obviously that group is over-represented among the enthusiasts here. It will be a great benefit to a majority of customers, and there are of course other options for those that need more complex installs.

14. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I concur with you bakers12 and bwaldron and I would add something else to consider about the 8 tuner limitation and the current product line movement, not only including the SWMLine, but the HDPC-20 and the software thingy (sorry, the name escapes me) for PCs. I think more and more designed will follow a wired house design where there will be a central location for tuners piped throughout a home and the need for more than 8 tuners is greatly reduced since piping around the home video/audio will be standard practice more most new installs. I am currently only using 5 tuners of my 8, and could get away with only 4, but my Russound bit it a few weeks back giving me an opportunity to checkout the H20-600, which in intend to put into my media closet as well, where all the Satellite receivers are which getdistributted to 8 zones in my home (ok, one is on my deck area too). :D Just my tar pence...

15. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    agreed. I see this as a Cable converter

16. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    I can confirm that my neighbor has the same idea. He asked about what I was installing and I explained it to him and he was all excited because he wants HD DVR's but didn't really like the extra wiring on his house and now with this it will probably get him to switch. And the 8 tuner limit is no big deal for him, 2 HD DVR's and probably 1-2 HD receivers. So just one more thing that helps D* get people to convert from cable. He really hates the fact that I get 90+ HD channels and he only get 20 or so! And I only pay $12 more than him!:lol:

17. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    I see a large audience for this piece of equipment, especially in the new sub and new HD DVR converts like Alebob911's neighbor.
    Longevity of the PI is where I am most concerned with this new piece of equipment. If they plug into a regular wall outlet and get a large enough spike then the PI's will be a difficult commodity to keep in stock for suppliers and obtain by end users. Most of us run everything through either a good spike or a Batter Backup unit with a spike built in but I believe we are the minority compared to the "normal customer". Not that we are not normal but we are undoubtedly not average. I doubt most customers can max out an 8 tuner limit without breaking a sweat and put up a second SWMline dish or an AT-9 with an SWM 8 in order to get "most" of the IRD's in the house active on two dishes...lol.....Heck, I am a small fish in this hobby and I remember a time when I had 4 dishes with dual LNB's in my antenna farm, and that was before HD DVR's........hehe

I am excited to see how this SWMline effects the D* market. I think and hope it will go over huge.....