1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you can't buy three, don't buy one: Twitter users share their savviest money-saving tips

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I meant to post this from a few weeks ago. From SF Gate:

If you can't buy three, don't buy one: Twitter users share their savviest money-saving tips
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Most of the advice makes good sense. Most of it....

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Use credit cards wisely. Pay them off in full every month. Get cash back, points, or miles as desired.
    Open a credit union checking account. My CU requires only $5 minimum deposit to avoid monthly fees.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What is a "$5 bill"? Is that "cash"?
    Living in a (mostly) cashless world.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Use a price tracking site like CamelCamelCamel for Amazon for stuff that you want, but don't need right away. That way, you can see a price history for the item you want, and set alerts when that product hits a price level you like.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'll try to remember Suze Orman's list:

1 Cut up your credit cards
    2 Invest the money you save in monthly interest charges
    2 Cut up your credit cards
    4 Invest the money you save in monthly interest charges.
    5 Cut up your... your... Gee, it's been a long time since I saw one of her PBS fundraisers. I guess I'll have to watch again.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Uhhhh..... no. I understand the gist of what she is saying.... pay cash for everything, don't pay interest charges. Paying cash gets a sense that money means something.

I live in the real world, and have done some traveling. If I rent a car, get gas, or book a hotel room, the business puts a hold on the card. If I'm paying with a debit card, that means that there is a hold on the funds in the checking account, which means the funds are unavailable. It takes several days for a hold to get released once you return the car or check out. It's better to use a credit card.

Do I use a credit card? Yes, it's much easier when paying the bills than writing a check each month. The credit card that I have through my credit union charges 8.29% APR and gives me 1% back on purchases each month. Since I pay off my card each month, it's nice to get to get a little bit of money back.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    That's only part of it. The most important part, to her, is that you order her book.