IFC showing commercials in movies now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ddrumman2004, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 #1 of 34
    ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Watching a movie on IFC this morning and low and behold....commercials! I guess TCM is the only movie channel showing commercial free movies now.....without having to subscribe to a movie package?

2. Dec 6, 2010 #2 of 34
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    FMC is ad free and UNCUT.

3. Dec 6, 2010 #3 of 34
    ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Yeah.....I forgot about FOX movie channel.

But IFC was a pretty good channel until they started all the other shows besides the repeated movies.

Should have known this would happen with AMC involved!

4. Dec 6, 2010 #4 of 34
    gsel1966

gsel1966 Cool Member

Oct 20, 2006
    So are the commercials in the movies now or just during the "dead" time until the next scheduled program?

5. Dec 6, 2010 #5 of 34
    Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    I used to love IFC, but they pretty much lost me when they started showing mainstream horror flicks and things like Arrested Development.

6. Dec 7, 2010 #6 of 34
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Believe it or not, they also showed an edited-for-TV version of a movie I started to watch a couple of months ago.

It might have been a mistake, I don't know, but the channel is certainly on its way to the "worthless" category.

7. Dec 7, 2010 #7 of 34
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Originally AMC was very much like TCM. Movies were shown uncut, commercial free and uninterupted. Bob Dorian was their host and like Robert Osborne on TCM introduced the movies and interviewed actors. Unfortunately that all changed in 2002.

8. Dec 7, 2010 #8 of 34
    ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I remember the "glory" days of AMC and can actually remember about the time it started.

The commercials were shown during the movie, not during the so called dead space between movies.

To me, the channel started going down when they started the "Whitest Kids You Know" series.

Yes....it's turning into another worthless channel and there seems to be quite a bit of them on satellite television and cable.

9. Dec 7, 2010 #9 of 34
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    lets hope that IFC is on the Directv Pare list along with AMC.. Please.. if this is what you are going to do.. get lost.. DUMP THEM.. I was watching plup fiction late last night.. and there was the commercials.. except they only did commercials for them selves..

it really stunk..

bye.. its time to go..

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, you have to admit it's basic cable channels VS customers when it comes to commercials. The basic cable channels have been sneaking in more and more commercials and longer commercial breaks. And we all have DVR's so we just hit that SKIP/SLIP button and nyahhhh nyahhhh! :D

11. Sysyphus

Sysyphus AllStar

Nov 27, 2007
    Yep - commercials all over the place, very few of them actual revenue earners... was watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail in HD on Comcast ( I need Comcast for CSN Philly, but don't have their DVR).

IFC was one of my last "desperately needed" in HD on DirecTV - they needn't bother now.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Well I won't watch IFC HD when Dish gets it. Ads mucks movies. I don't watch AMC. And AMC has White Christmas every year. :(

13. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    IFC showing commercials during movies=me no longer interested in it being broadcast in HD.

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Was flipping through the channels last night and noticed IFC was showing commercials. I haven't watched IFC for maybe 2 years so I just figured I missed the thread talking about it but it appears this is a new thing.

Shame, another nice movie channel destroyed. I use to like AMC but this 5 minutes of commercials every 15 minutes & editing made it impossible to watch.

15. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Not true, actually. AMC started off commercial free. It was quite a good movie channel, back in the day, particularly for golden oldies. Not anymore, at least for movies. The series are getting increasingly good, however. If only DTV had it in HD.

16. jeffg3wksapart

jeffg3wksapart New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    The question mark can be removed. The 8-letter word for illegitimate children have definitely joined most of the other cable stations in making films unwatchable-- unless you like the idea of getting up every 10minutes to do whatever. Not only that, but at the end of the film I watched can you all guess what they did as the credits were rolling? Of course! Google Media Works (or type in IFC with commercials) and read their Dec. 7 article. I'm not naive enough to think this would do many good, but the article gives the name of the person at Rainbow Media who should be contacted.

As for the despicable AMC every so often I come across a film on TCM or Sundance which amc originally aired, which makes me wonder what happened to the rest of their library? They also rarely show a film prior to 1970 and they're mostly well-known titles.

IFC= It's Filled (with) Commercials

17. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    In general, networks don't own their programming; they only lease the rights to show it for a limited amount of time (and/or a limited amount of showings) from whoever actually owns the rights. Thus, it's very likely that AMC's rights to those movies expired, and they didn't renew, so TCM, Sundance, or other networks were free to get the rights to those movies.

18. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Another channel that I'm no interested anymore, because of the change of programs, It is like AMC don't care for them either.

19. SWORDFISH

SWORDFISH Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    I sent them an email stating I would no longer be watching their channel due to the commercials.

They responded within 24 hours stating that they were sorry to hear that, but they need the advertising revenue to support their original programming.

SF

20. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    I was just about to start a new thread when I dug up this one. IFC needs to change their Channel listing on DTV. If you tune the guide to 559 and highlight IFC it reads
    "The independent Film Channel is the premiere commercial-free network featuring award-winning films, original series and live events." Not so commercial free. Bummer they show good program but it is over-showed ie ruined by the commercials.