1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal Movie Downloads May be Headed For RIAA Style Trouble

Discussion in 'The OT' started by LarryFlowers, May 30, 2010.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    On Friday, Voltage Pictures filed a copyright complaint against 5000 John Does in Federal Court.

Voltage owns the Oscar winning film "The Hurt Locker".

How successful they will be remains to be seen but they already have the 5000 IP Addresses of the John Does, the next step is getting the names that go with the IP addresses.

Nicolas Chartier, co founder of Voltage Pictures isn't even remotely concerned about the bad publicity the RIAA generated, he's out for blood.

This could be the opening salvo in an RIAA style assault on illegal movie downloads.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There are a number of articles on this but the funniest headline is 'Hurt Locker' Producer Has a Good Point, Is Still a Jerk. However, from an article headlined ‘Hurt Locker’ Producer Sues 5,000 BitTorrent Users:

3. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    $7,500,000 is quite a take in for a movie for a weekend, I wonder how long it took to rack this up?

4. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    I don't see this one going very far.

5. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I think the copyright holder is very serious and is going to press the test button. It will be interesting to see how far it goes...maybe people will start paying for movies rather than stealing form the copyright holders.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I see this going a long way. The guy involved has a rep as a bad guy and I think he intends to go all the way.

If he is successful, other studios could well follow suit.

Lets face it, torrent users have been stealing movies and tv shows for a long time now, virtually unimpeaded. Something was going to give sooner or later.

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Good - shut those thieves down.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX