1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a novice at cabling..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Hotscot, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    However I'm practicing.

I feel I'm doing something wrong though..I'm using R6 Quad, R6 Quad Compression Connectors from IDEAL and a compression connector tool, a basic one also from IDEAL that states it can be used for R6 Quad.

However when I terminate a cable and give it a tug it seems too easy to pull the connector off the cable.
    It's not like it's falling off but I feel it should take more strength than I'm giving it to come off.

Any thoughts?

2. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Ugh, Quad shield can be a pain to work with. I find it easier to snug a regular RG-6 connector onto RG-6Q cable than using an RG-6Q connector. It's just a slightly larger diameter because of the extra run of foil and braid.

Good luck with the practice, maybe you can work under me some day, haha.

3. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    Hmm..that's maybe worth considering, smaller connectors

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Now you are getting a feel for it!

RG6 quad shield is not used very much but you should have a bag of the fittings.

As DJtheC mentioned the regular 6 fitting will sometimes work better. He said sometimes because both the cable and the fittings vary enough that sometimes you need to improvise.

Depending on where you work it may be best to keep your cable in the heated part of the truck. Cold cable can be a bitch to splice. Consider sticking it in a running exhaust pipe. Awhile back I got a lighter that says "GITTERDONE" when you strike it. I keep it in the box I use for fittings and ground block supplies. It adds that professional touch when you have a professional cable heater and is easier than driving up to a house just to heat a cable end.

There are some standard RJ6 cables the a quad fitting will work better with so be flexible.

I keep a large supply of RG6 but also work through a few bags a year of
    RG6 quad and have been working on the same bag of RG59 for several years.

Just know that RJ11 requires a different tool and fittings.....you may never need to work with the stuff but it is different.

I like the F fitting that has the O ring and gel that uses a crimp tool. I like them because the fittings are .09 cents. The rest of the world seems to insist on compression fittings that are about a quarter a pop. For large jobs I would consider the F fittings for the inside work at least.

Then there is the world of voice & data; CAT Cable.

Joe

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    http://www.hometech.com/learn/coaxterm.html

Make sure you are following these directions. Also, with QS, you need to cut away the outer 2 layers of shield (should be one layer of foil and one layer of braid), or it will be too thick to get the connector on. The inner braid should be pulled back as pictured on the page above. Don't cut the inner braid all the way off like they show in the "Quad Shield" section at the bottom. The white dielectric insulation should be flush with the bottom of the threaded portion of the fitting before you compress the connector.

Properly installed, the connector should not come off the cable; the jacket will usually tear before the fitting will come off.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I use the Ideal stuff too and I'm not exactly sure what I do wrong with these. About half of them stay on fine and half pull off.

7. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    RG-11, please...there was a house where the guy ran RG-11 everywhere, even to the sat and insisted I use it. They fit alright...barely. He was one of those techno types who think that a 2% loss = bad reception or such...

8. satjoe

satjoe AllStar

Oct 28, 2008
    RG6 quad will work Dual and quad, Dual will only work with dual. you have been stripping your sheath too far back. youe should be able to almost support your body weight with a properly installed fitting. Just follow the diagram on your coax stripper and you will be fine. I work in NH and your hands will toughen up to work with cold cable.

Good Luck

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I just mentioned the RG11 because it is good to know that if you don't have the tools to recut the fittings you should not mess with the existing RG11 just to make it neat.

AND....Comscope was the cable I couldn't get any fittings to match.(Me mind is like a steel trap!) Nothing in my junk box would do it and I didn't have any Comscope fittings or the tool.
    Grrrrrr!

Joe