1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm about to switch to YouTubeTV. Any compelling reasons not to?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PHL, Dec 8, 2018 at 5:57 PM.

1. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Pros:
    Save $80 per month
    1080P resolution
    Unlimited DVR
    Superior VOD offerings
    Can watch live TV and recordings from anywhere (PC/mobile/etc)

Cons?
    Missing a few channels, but not a big deal
    DVR is slower than HR44. Trickplay is not as good
    Need to learn new interface

Anything that I'm forgetting about that might make me regret this change?

2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Live sports is all I can think of

Depending on your area OTT providers might not have your local RSN.

But beyond that sounds ok

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    With D* u can watch live TV anywhere (in the USA)

Via app or DirecTV. Com

Only exception is local channels ... now local channels are in home only

Last year it was based on your (login / phone) location

PHL likes this.
  4. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    On programs that you record to YouTube TV's cloud DVR from CBS-owned networks, you often will not be able to FF through commercials. But that's basically just CBS, CBS Sports Network and maybe Pop. I'm pretty sure that all other networks let you FF through ads in recordings, although they often do not let you do so in their VOD content. So when you go to watch something you've recorded, be sure to choose the DVR version of the show, not the VOD version, at least if you like to skip through ads.

If you subscribe to HBO or Cinemax, be aware that those networks aren't (yet) available to be added to a YouTube TV subscription. (However, Showtime and Starz are.) So you'd need to subscribe to HBO via the standalone HBO Now app, or by adding it to your Amazon Prime Video or Hulu subscriptions. Cinemax is only available as an add-on, there is no standalone Cinemax streaming app/service.

As for the cable networks missing from YouTube TV, many of them are available in the separate Philo app/service, which starts at $16/mo.

If you're unsure about the switch, you might choose to put your DTV account on hold for a month (assuming they still allow that) while you test out YouTube TV. If you like it, then cancel DTV. Otherwise, switch back to satellite without any hassle. Also, note that pretty much all the streaming cable TV services offer a free 7-day trial, so if you like the channel line-ups of PS Vue, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Now, or Fubo TV, you can get a feel for them firsthand for free.

That said, it looks like YouTube TV is currently extending their free trial to 14 days. So not a bad time to try them out!
    YouTube TV is Offering an Extended 14 Day Free Trial For a Limited Time - Cord Cutters News

5. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Also double check your ISP, some ISPs (comcast, Cox, altice south [suddenlink] ) have a 1TB data limit

6. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Actually I'm able to get most live sports (network/espn,FS1/FS2). Unfortunately I'll have to give up Spectrum SportsNet which carries most LA Laker games. On the plus side, YTTV included the MLB channel and NBA TV, which are only in the upper DirecTV tiers.

dtv757 likes this.
  7. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Does YTTV get MLB and NBA games in 4k ?
    I think fubu TV has 4k sports like soccer and fox sports

8. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    YTTV also gives that option, plus I've got access to all my cloud dvr recordings. I think DirecTV only lets you access recordings when you're on the same WiFi network. I can watch on a phone or a tablet. Haven't tried traveling with it yet, but I rarely get time to watch TV when traveling anyway.
    I don't really have a need to access "home" local channels while traveling.

9. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Not in
    Not in 4K as far as I know, but my TV is still 1080P so not a big deal right now. Honestly, my eyesight is no longer good enough for 4K to be a big factor.

10. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Thanks. I thought all "recorded" programs allowed FF, but I'm learning that CBS is restricting that function. I think we can live with that.

No premiums, so not really a factor. I might get Philo just to get the Lifetime networks for my wife, but Lifetime has a standalone movie channel for $4/month, so we'll try that first. Philo would be nice, but not much in there package that is particularly compelling.

I'm planning to suspend my D* service for a month, so I can always go back. And when I do cancel, I will consider the Winback offer if and when it comes. The impetus for making this switch in the first place was that I wasn't able to get a decent retention offer, so I'm looking to save some money. I've already completed my free trial, and I'm on my 2nd day of "paid" YTTV. Unfortunately, I signed up for the trial exactly one day before the 14-day offer.

11. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    With D* u can view DVR recording outside of home via the app on 4G LTE / cellular

Just doesn't work outside of USA

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Good point for anyone else considering a switch. My 100mbps Frontier FIOS service does not have a cap. I'm planning to sign up for Spectrum internet (400mbps) which also does not currently have a cap. If Spectrum does not work well, I can go back to Frontier Fios as a new customer, I think.

dtv757 likes this.
  13. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Thanks, never really tried it to be honest because I don't see much point in watching TV on a phone. I used to use DirectTV2PC at home, but that hasn't worked for several years now. Amazing that the DirecTV app doesn't work on a PC.

dtv757 likes this.
  14. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    You have FIBER DONT!!! leave for cable

If anything call frontier for faster speed gig or something

If u take away anything from my input most importantly DONT get cable broadband its absolutely horrible

I would do anything to get FTTH fiber internet again I currently suffer with inferior internet and it has outages every other day :(

15. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Point taken. I like Fios a lot, but it's getting kind of pricey at $69 for 100/100. A single YTTV stream can take ~50mbps and I have 2 TV's, so I 'd like to get something a bit faster so that I don't impact other things that I might want to do.

I don't need symmetric service, so I'm gonna try cable with 400/10 for $45, maybe a buck or two more with taxes. Ping times are likely a little bit higher, but I don't do any gaming so it's not that huge a deal. My son does do some online gaming (Fortnite, mostly) but he will have to suck it up. Small differences in ping times aren't worh $24/month to me.

Like I said, I can always go back to Fios and probably get their New Customer special at $50 for 100/100 or maybe faster.

16. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Call them say "cancel " at the automated system see if then can offer u a better deal

Tell them about the cable offer ... cable may offer "faster" but its terrible unless u like rebooting your modem every few days

That price seems high for 100/100. I'm not sure about frontier but Verizon offers gig speed up and down for $80

And opposite end of that the cable co I my area is
    100/10 $90
    300/30 $110
    Fake "gig" / 35 $120

So again you have no idea how lucky you are to have FTTH

This is my last bit of feedback enjoy and let us know how it is

17. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004

We'll see what happens when I call to cancel later this week (my install date isn't until next Saturday). I've already asked Frontier for promo pricing and they've never done better than a $10 discount, and they refused to renew that after 12 months. Plus, they've lately added $4 in below the line fees, which I'm kind of pissed about. It's too bad since I am in one of the first two cities in the country that got Fios back in 2005. I've been enjoying FTTH almost since the very beginning when it was 5/2 for $35 a month. I think I remember splurging in my second year and upgrading to 15/5 for $45/month.

18. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Just as a data point in case anyone does have data caps with their isp. We switched to all streaming a little over two years ago (PSVue) and have never gone over 600 gb (usually under 500 gb) in any month.

19. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Thanks, that's useful data. Just for clarity, how many TV's did you have? How many in your family? Do you do anything else that is data intensive as far as downloading stuff?

Also, in case anyone is reading this in the future, be aware that streaming bitrates will vary, and they will likely go up with time. For instance, I don't know about PSVue, but YTTV streams most of their channels in 1080P/60, with a bit rate of 30-50 mbps. Also, the Roku boxes that I got seem to continue streaming even after I turn the TV off, as the "OFF" button on the remote only affects the TV. Other boxes might be different.

20. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    6 tvs all with streaming devices. Normally only have 1 or 2 going. 2 people and lots of other stuff going on though, laptop, 2 phone, 2 tablets. We typically rent several 4k HDR movies in a typical month ($5.99 on VUDU rather than the $10.99 D over charges for them LOL). If I had to guess I would think we were on the high end of data usage but not as high as say a family with 2 adults and 3 teenagers as an example.