1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm connecting my esata drive to my parents HR24.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ejjames, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    They have a few things on their internal drive they may want to dump to a DVD-R at some point. I just don't have access to mine in a box somewhere after my move.

Am I remembering it correctly that once I disconnect the esata drive, all the shows on the internal drive will again be accessible?

2. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Correct, it just shuts the internal down. The recorded shows and series links will still be there.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Once you hook that esata drive to another DVR, it will format it for use on that DVR, anything on the drive will be gone forever.

phox

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Not exactly....if it has been formatted for use on a D* HD DVR, it will not format it by just hooking it up to a different DVR. But the content will not be playable, unless they are OTA recordings.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The move happened MANY times WITHOUT reformatting and many ppl posted the fact here. Where is you got your experience Mr. phox? :rolleyes:

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Pretty sure my Esata got reformatted when I temporarily moved it from my HR20 to my HR21.

phox

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    pretty sure ? Esata ?

it is eSATA and try it again to be sure it wasn't happened

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It shouldnt...I've moved drives to different DVR's many times and they never reformat. The recordings from the DVR they were recorded on are still there, just not playable. Only OTA recordings can be played if you move a drive from 1 DVR to another, but unless it detected a problem with the drive during boot, it should not reformat the drive.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never had an external HDD reformatted either. But, I don't doubt that it can happen. It's just not supposed to.

Rich

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Rich,

Actually, each reboot the DVR is checking file system integrity, so practically it could happen if there discovered severe problem; but it's totally unrelated to which DVR is doing the check.

So the chances of reformatting are very little and if it happen, then it would tell about file system severe problem or bad health of the drive.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't remember any posts about the HDDs not working after being reformatted. Anybody have any real life experience with this?

Rich

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You missed most frequent case: file system severe problem and bring up other one "bad health of the drive" what would lead to ceasing the DVR functionality and getting some error codes and I didn't imply the drive would work after discovering bad health of it.