I'm new guys. So I dont know if this question is ok or not but, Can I record my saved

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by firstround, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstround

firstround Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Can I download or record to DVD ( or laptop ) my HD football games. My dilemma is that I'm running out of space on my hard drive and want to save them. Can this be done anyone have any answers for me thanks
    Corey

2. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    You can record to DVD, but not in HD (yet).
    You need to run a composite line from your hd20 to your DVD recorder, along with analog stereo cables.
    It's not the ideal situation, but until someone comes out with a HD DVD or Blu-Ray set top box recorder, you can get some very good quality recordings using available SD recorders.

3. firstround

firstround Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006

Ok so I cant use the usb ports on the direct TV yet, I don't know I'm sorry I'm asking such stupid questions but I'm really new to this stuff and I'm trying to figure it out. So please be patient with me. OK so I get these cables and away we go. That really sucks that we cant record the HD that makes it all worth it , I wonder how long till they come out with this technology
    Thanks
    C

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I have copied about 50 movies to my stand-alone DVD recorder in the past month. I use the S-Video connection.

I don't know if making digital HD copies will ever be legally supported due to copyright issues, but HD programming recorded to a standard DVD still looks better than standard programming.

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Don't count on it. Hollywood is doing its level best to close the "analog hole" via government interference like the "Broadcast Flag" and by pressuring manufacturers to prevent copying. That's what HDCP and HDMI are all about, and why such recorders (when available) almost certainly won't have component inputs, just HDMI or other digital connections that the device software can disable at the whim of content providers.

6. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Here's what I bought. Hook up the composite video/audio cables to this unit and plug it in to the USB port on your pc. It also allows an s-video input. You may not need one of these if you have a media center pc, I'm not sure. I don't have one so I this. I bought it on sale at Best Buy fairly cheap, under $40 IIRC.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...azzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm

Unfortunately it's not just a file transfer deal, you actually have to play the game/movie/show/whatever on the dvr and capture it on the pc. Best done overnight or when you aren't around to watch the dvr I guess.

7. Jun 4, 2007 #7 of 60
    firstround

firstround Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Any new info on this? any new products that will allow me to retrive my football games on disk?

8. Jun 4, 2007 #8 of 60
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohter then getting a DVD-Recorder, and playing them back..

No, and it is not expected to change any time soon.

9. Jun 4, 2007 #9 of 60
    firstround

firstround Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    what do you mean dvd recorder? I have one of those I want to record them in hd is that possible?

10. Duffinator

Duffinator Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    Re read post #4.

11. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    No you can't record HD on a standard DVD recorder. It has to be downconverted to SD. The only way you could ever record to HD is if you had a DVHS but those are hard to find and you are back to using magnetic tape.

12. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    there isn't however..... I bought a Phillips DVD recorder this past december from best buy that has an hdmi output and component connection inputs on it, and it claims to be able to record in "almost HD" quality video but at that quality it only holds 1hr and 2 minutes of content, it might be worth a shot

here is the link to it on the bestbuy website

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...rner&lp=14&type=product&cp=1&id=1134703758492

its sold out right now but you might be able to find it elsewhere

13. firstround

firstround Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Thanks, I just purchassed a canon hv20 video camera and was wondering if I could some how upload it to a std tape then convert it in an editing softwear there has to be a way to do this.

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Nope..

The problem is there is no "home user" priced devices that can work with the uncompressed signal that is on a component connection or HDMI.

15. tucker301

tucker301 Banned User

Feb 11, 2007
  16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Not via the HR20..
    There are plenty of computer tuner cards, that will receive OTA...

There are other receivers out there that are not as locked down as the HR20 is, so....

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As in "hackable"? :D

One way is to use a cable HDDVR with a 1394 output.

18. firstround

firstround Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Please do tell...Im all for any options

19. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Are you able to record 16:9 or do you have to settle for 4:3?

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    This is not a topic that covered by this forum (we are about DBS systems).
    There many other forum boards out there, that will have discussions about alternative methods to receive HD programming and systems

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.