1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Thinking of Adding Whole Home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by socal404, Oct 16, 2011.

1. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    I currently have the following:
    HR20-100 in family room (HDTV)
    R22-100 in bedroom and office (SD TVs) I will be upgrading to HDTV in bedroom someday soon.

I want the whole shooting match. I want Whole Home, SWiM, VOD, network connection, everything!

When I call DTV, what should I be asking for? Should I be getting any new/different receivers?

I also, currently, am using a jack in the living room as my 2nd input to my family room receiver. Once I get the SWiM I won't need the wiring for the 2nd input, right? I want to change that so I can hook up another TV in the living room also. What would I need to tell the CSR when ordering?

Hope this all makes sense. Advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Each tv that you want to watch independently will require its own receiver unfortunately. But what I would recommend doing is calling DirecTV and going to the retentions department and seeing what they could do for you in terms of a Whole Home upgrade. Standard price is $199 but if you get the right person and are polite with them they may throw in a new HDDVR or other goodies like that. This will tie you into another 2 year agreement assuming you are not currently in one.

Good luck and report back with the deal you receive.

Kevin

3. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are others who know more about this than me, but I'll try to answer.

The R22s will work as HD DVRs, in fact they'll work now. The HD feed does look better than the SD feed, even on an SD TV.

If I understand correctly, you're using the jack in the living room as the second satellite in for your family room receiver. That will no longer be needed as the SWM setup only needs 1 input. If you get another receiver for the living room, make sure it's an HD receiver so you can include that TV in the whole house setup.

As Kevin F says, call and see what kind of deal you can get. I’ll tell you whole house has been a game changer for me. I don’t know how I got along without it.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Whole house requires at least 1 HD DVR and 1 HD Receiver. Your R22's don't meet the minimum requirement, so you'll need to upgrade one of those. Take a look at your recording requirements to decide how many DVRs versus receivers you will want/need.

And just call DirecTV and ask; and I wouldn't call retention unless you have an issue with your first call. I called back in late July and got whole house, 2 upgraded DVRs, a new HD receiver and an AM21 for a fantastic deal (and I was 7 months into a 24 month contract).

5. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I have another question. If Directv upgrades one of the R22-100s, will it be to a HDDVR? Since the R22-100s are HD compatible, will either one need to be upgrades? And, if so, let's say I record an HD program on a R22-100, which is connected to a SD TV, and play that program from my HDDVR which is connected to a HDTV, will I be able to view it in HD? This is getting quite confussing!:confused:

All help is appreciate.

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Reminder- HDVR can only stream one show to one other RECEIVER at a time.

The more HDDVR's you have the better for MRV

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Anything recorded in HD will play back in HD. You will need at least one of your R22s upgraded to an HRxx. If you keep one R22, keep in mind to DirecTV it's still an SD box. If it needs replaced, you may get an R16 in its place. That cannot do MRV at all.

8. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Your R22s are de facto HD DVRs. I would leave them be. You could order an HD receiver (or a 4th DVR) and at the same time add the Whole-Home DVR install. You might be able to get a good deal by combining the new box and the whole home install.