1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMHO, we need separation!

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by rog47776, Dec 12, 2011.

1. rog47776

rog47776 Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    it's my opinion, we're reaching a point (in streaming content) where those that provide Internet access, should not be allowed to provide content! There's several analogies that illustrate my point: Doctors don't manufacture and sell drugs / medication to their own patients, auto makers don't manufacture specific fuel for their cars, etc...

If ISPs were only providing access, I believe we would see a dramatic increase in streaming content availability as well as content providers...at least initially. After several years, the number of content providers would ultimately consolidate down to 3 or 4, and they would all probably have "almost" identical content.

This would also allow ISPs to objectively and fairly introduce usage based service as no one could accuse them of trying to protect their "content" revenue. I would also imagine ISPs would sign deals with the content providers so that content purchased through their content-provider partners would not count toward your usage.

Thoughts?

2. rog47776

rog47776 Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    Wow, so does everyone think I'm totally off base or just don't care? I feel this issue is central to the ability to get more content as well as access to specific content...like being able to purchase a single HBO series instead of the whole channel

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yeah, tell that to Comcast! Is it time for another AT&T style, govt-mandated divestiture???

In answer your question, as a Comcast cable tv & NBCU content sub, as well as a Comcast internet and voice bundle sub, I really don't care.

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I don't disagree with your idea. I just don't think it will ever happen. There is a big difference between one doctor (an individual) and a huge drug company, and a huge ISP and a huge media company. If ISP's were really like the individual doctor, then maybe. There is just too much money involved. :angry:

5. rog47776

rog47776 Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    I agree about the money part, but I do think we could see things change as more and more people demand streaming access to content. The bad part about that is providers will transition Internet access to the same type of pay per use like we have with gas and electricity. There's also a lot of money in that, and it's the desire to move toward a pay per use model that will drive separation. Just can't see where the gov would let a provider charge per use access (and limit other content providers) while still selling content.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Unlike the '70s when the DOJ was all about divestiture and busting up huge corporations like AT&T, in recent years, the gov't seems to be favoring consolidatation [XM/Sirius, Comcast/NBCU, BofA/Wells Fargo]. Even in my own experience, consolidation, in the form of 'bundling' of tv, internet and phone services has proven to be a tremendous advantage and convenience for me personally.

I've not been one to put all eggs in one basket but, for me, the Comcast bundle of tv, net and phone is a natural fit. Even better, I don't even have to worry about paying the bill -- every month, Comcast hits my checking account for whatever they want.

Cradle to grave!

7. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Meh, I don't know. I'm not sure more choice is always great for the consumer, nor is having too many clouds in the air so to speak. Look at the multiple contract disputes becoming more and more commonplace between Networks and providers. What gives the networks all the leverage? The biggest contributor is the fact consumers have multiple providers to choose from, but only one network to watch that favorite show of theirs and they know it. At the end of the day, the Networks are the jumpstarter to your monthly costs for TV service. Not to mention the networks don't deal with the pushback from negotitions/removing channels like providers do and they know that also.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If A company came along and ran fiber very where with massive bandwidth, they could lease space to people for Internet as well as space to multiple other providers for tv services as phone services and make a ton of money. But startup costs would be massive too....

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Maybe we need 2 or 3 competing internets ?

In some parts of the country, (rural and small town) you'd have one or the other, and in larger cities residents would have a choice.

:eek2: