1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impossibly Slow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by C6Silver, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1 of 25
    C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    My DVR has gotten impossibly slow over the past week or so. It takes forever to bring up "List" and when you select a program it takes forever for the screen to return to normal and the program to be launched. Browsing channels is fine once the channel selection finally comes up.

I have restarted the DVR multiple times already. It does seem better right after that, but soon slows to a crawl again. I got this DVR back in 2006 so it isn't exactly new.

Any ideas?

2. Jun 5, 2010 #2 of 25
    hfhlt004

hfhlt004 AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    Same here. Seems like DTV is going backward for basic functions, while adding a bunch of stuff I never use.

3. Jun 5, 2010 #3 of 25
    alv

alv Godfather

Aug 13, 2002
    The only way I know around this is to leave the disk 40% empty (1B drive).

4. Jun 5, 2010 #4 of 25
    gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    That doesn't solve the problem. My DVRs are slow no matter how full the drive is. Problem must be the software. Hopefully, there will be a new update soon that will take care of this. But for now, I would suggest completely unplugging the unit for a few minutes then restarting again. It may or may not work, but it is worth a try.

5. Jun 5, 2010 #5 of 25
    sda3

sda3 Mentor

Nov 29, 2005
    What model is it? My hr22 is very slow, but it always has been.

6. Jun 5, 2010 #6 of 25
    VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    if you have the protection plan..DTV will have you jump through a few hoops:confused: and then replace your DVR.:p

7. Jun 5, 2010 #7 of 25
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    a full model number and setup info might help us help you.

8. Jun 5, 2010 #8 of 25
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So you have a 20-700? Please post the complete HR model numbers or nobody can help you. Should look like HR2x-xxx.

Rich

9. Jun 5, 2010 #9 of 25
    tater71

tater71 Cool Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I have a HR20-700 and have had the same issues. Really started to get bad about a week ago. Have tried restarts and replaced batteries in remote. No luck!

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just as a diagnostic step, try disconnecting the ethernet cable. If you have an antenna connected, try disconnecting it. Then restart and see if it makes a difference.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So, without using Stuart's post as a guide, what did you do when you started having problems with it?

Rich

12. C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    Sorry for the delay in getting the stats:

HR20/700
    Software: 0x3df (5/25)

Interestingly it is working well today. Again, the issue started about a week ago (so perhaps around the 5/25 date...) having done nothing different.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try a new HDD? Assuming it's owned, of course.

Rich

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Both of our HR20-700's slow periodically, number input, scrolling, etc., but the problem clears usually in an hour or so. They do not exhibit the problems simultaneously. I have concluded that they are busy with some housekeeping function or updating data or some other operation I'm not aware of, but it always clears itself shortly after I notice the sluggishness.

15. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I suspect the problem is related to the new software for 3D. The performance of my HR24 has degraded tremendously.

16. SlimyPizza

SlimyPizza Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Maybe... but that fact is the HR20-700s (and others if what I read on this forum is correct) exhibit undue sluggishness. For my HR20-700, this began several NRs ago with DLB. Excessive and noisy disk activity are now hallmarks of sluggish remote control response and/or periodic freezing and pixelations during playback. The situation is intermittent but very annoying. I'm seriously considering U-Verse because of the poor performance of the DTV DVR. I'm sure no system is without its unique problems but I'm very tired of the noisy HD, the sluggish remote, and the freezing/pixelations during playback when my HD randomly goes in to hyper mode. Yes, my HR20-700 has been a good performer overall. It still is except for the intermittent and annoying problems described above. I do not believe there are hardware failure issues with my DVR. I believe the DVR to be underpowered with regard to new functionalities introduced subsequent to its design and the tell-tale slugishness and playback issues are the visible results of add-on features which max-out the limited resources of the DVR.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nothing wrong with my nine 20-700s. But, six of mine have at least a 1.5TB HDDs internally and that makes a big difference. Of the other three, they are on eSATAs and have little, if any, of those symptoms either. Except for the chattering that started just after the DLB NR. Or some time after it, can't remember exactly when and only a couple of them do that. Not annoying when playing content. Still fast, faster when you stick a large internal drive in them, but even the ones on eSATAs are fast and show no signs of sluggishness.

Rich

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Folks that are having what seems to be abnormal problems .. make sure you run a system test .. press & hold {INFO} then Run System Test. This will let you know if there is anything wrong with the system.

19. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    I thought the HR20-700 could not do 3D and was not getting that software.

20. Spoffo

Spoffo Legend

Dec 31, 2006
    It got the software, and several people have said that you'll actually be able to record 3D content on an HR20, you just won't be able to play it back on that box . . . you'll have to view it via MRV on a more recent DVR model