1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving sat signals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mhammett, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    There's a storm going on now, so it isn't a good time to check signals. I have an H20 and have upper 70s signal, which I hear is about as good I'm going to get.

That said, losing the sats in the rain is nothing but not having enough signal. Are there any dishes out there that offer improved reception? I understand that using a single dish to pull in 5 different satellites on varying frequencies can have only a certain amount of gain. That said, I'd be willing to entertain getting seperate antennas each with higher gain.

Does anyone know where I can find such animals?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Welcome to DBSTalk!

Before the newer 5-LNB Ka/Ku-band dishes came along, it was much easier to use single or multiple larger dishes to improve reception. These dishes are still used in Alaska and Hawaii, for example. But I'm not aware of any Ka-band DirecTV-compatible big dishes, which would be required to receive the MPEG4 HD channels.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    there are commercially available 1.5 meter dishes that can be used for D* and E* .. these require much sturdier mounting ... so it starts getting a little expensive

5. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    Where can I locate these that include the ka and ku bands?

I have a brick wall, so it doesn't get much mroe sturdy than that. I just pulled out a pair of C-band dishes as well.

6. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    Does anyone know how much gain these dishes have? With passive antennas, I've heard of aligning two antenna seperately and using a splitter to achieve additional gain (assuming the antennas' gain is more than the cable loss and splitter). However, isn't the DirecTV LNB powered? I suppose that would pose an issue.

7. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005

This is the only type of setup that will get you more gain and act as a replacement for the AT9/AU9:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320140183693&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

You cannot combine 2 AT9/AU9s to get more gain.

8. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    Do you have a model number for that dish?

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Add 20 points to your readings on the H20 and that will be closer to the real signal strength. Or connect another model of D* receiver to check the true signal strength. Your signal isn't low and you will waste a lot of time and money trying to improve what isn't broken.:)

10. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    Right. That's why I said its about as good as one will get with that setup. It normally works fine, but I'm after extra gain so that it doesn't peter out during storms, fog, etc. The only reason satellite has the digital artifacts or just dies is because there isn't enough signal.

11. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    How so?

12. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Rain fade on the slimline just plain sucks this may force me to go to FIOS eventually as I am not putting up with this crap.

Yes I have had my dish aligned and yes my signals are 95-100 so nothing can be done there. I even lost my 101 for a short time which never happened before.

13. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I took some spray polish that I got from Honda and applied it to the old dish we had before we upgraded to HD and it cut my rain fade problem down to almost "nill" except in the worse of a downpour. Before that, just a few drops of rain would cause a signal loss. I did the same thing to the 5lnb dish and only lose the signal in a torrential downpour.

14. Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    Really now that is interesting. How often do you have to put it on?

15. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Before someone posts "It is the rain in the sky that causes signal outages!", let me say that I have read that anywhere from 5 to 20 percent of outages are caused by water on the dish/LNB assembly itself.

Back when I had an E* dish that had a lot of outages, I put a garbage bag over the dish and had good results.

16. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    Does anyone make a radome for the non-slimline?

17. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I usually go out and reapply the stuff when I notice that I am losing the signal, depending on how much rain is falling.

Like I said, when I had the smaller dish, just a very light rain would stop the signal. I went out and cleaned the dirt and bird poop off the dish and applied the polish to the dish and LNB and the rain fade problem all but ceased. I did the same thing to the 5 LNB dish as a precaution.

My dish is mounted on a pole that was originally installed for a Primestar dish we once had. Funny thing was when the installer came out over 3 years ago, he wanted to mount the dish on the house and not the pole. All the original cable was still there and it worked fine for SD but when we upgraded to HD, the installer ran new cable.

I need to go check the dish and clean it I guess. Mine only sits about 5 feet off the ground! Lucky me!

18. Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005

Well I guess I am going to pick up some spray polish and give it a try. Does it have to Honda spray polish? LOL

19. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I would try Rain-X as I would think that would be very helpful. Rain Shield which is overpriced has been proven to work as well.

20. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    i heard of useing rain-x, and tried it work a little. also during the winter install i had with E* when i was with them. their installer had Pam cooking spray with him, i asked what he was doing with it. he said, "it helps keeps snow and ice off the dish. plus helps a little with rain fade"..

didn't know if you ever hear of the Pam cooking spray oil?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.