In DirecTV Hell - Need Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JimmyB, Nov 13, 2019.

1. JimmyB

JimmyB New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I will try to keep this short. I am stuck in DirecTV hell, and need advice on how to proceed.

In December 2018, I was scheduled to get an equipment upgrade at no charge to a Genie 2 plus 3 minis. The technician spent 3 hours at my home and couldn't get it to work. The service call culminated with the technician cursing out the DIRECTV operator, cursing at his coworker on the phone, and just generally fuming. Eventually, I asked the guy to reinstall my old equipment and leave. On the way out, he grabbed a beer from my outdoor refrigerator to drink in the truck on the way home.

I haven't done anything about this until today, frankly because I didn't want this guy back in my house. I would still like the equipment upgrade that I was promised last year.

Today, I've spoken to DirecTV for 2 hours, and no one can seem to resolve this. They want to charge me 399 for an upgrade (no thanks). I have their protection plan, but for some reason that does not seem to matter. I don't want anything special - I just want the newer equipment that gets me 4K.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

JimmyB

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Keep calling and asking for loyalty department. You have to just keep calling back till you get someone who will do it. And make sure they show what happened in the past and they didn’t restart some commitment on your account. Wouldn’t surprise me if they did. Did you get any discounts at the time of that install?

3. JimmyB

JimmyB New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks for the fast response. The equipment was supposed to be free, as part of my every 2 year upgrade on the protection plan. That's it.

4. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007

They played the same game with me in regards to not allowing a free upgrade. One of the people ( I think it was a loyalty) speculated that it might be because there was still a month or so i had remaining on a 25 per month discount. I was advised to call back again this last September, but on very careful consideration, I have decided that i do not need 4k lite on one or two channels and have discontinued my protection plan coverage which will save me about one hundred dollars per year.

Should DirecTV decide to give me a free upgrade in the future i will refuse. I do not expect 4k to be anything but a passing phase (like 3d) because 8k TV sets are already being sold.

Rich likes this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You waited a year??? And you want them to do something about it now? The guy probably doesn't even work for DirecTV anymore. You should have reported the guy. Stealing from you, drinking on the job and then driving drunk in a DirecTV truck? And you're waiting a year to talk about it?

B. Shoe, MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Try calling 619-752-1401 and see if you can get the new equipment and a discount for the hassle. Let us know. When I called this number a few months ago, I got $120 a month off my bill for a year with no commitment.

7. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Passing phase I don't think so. Contact is barley being made in 4K and delivery of full 4K stuff is already difficult it seems. *K is for TV sets of 75" or larger to get a 4K looking picture.

longhorn23 likes this.
  8. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Guy has one beer and you say he is driving drunk?:rolleyes:

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    In almost every state if he would be pulled over it would be a DUI.. One beer is over the legal limit

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Huh? Not unless it is a REALLY strong IPA. Even if it is a company truck (so driving on a commercial license) the limit is typically .04 rather than .08 which a normal sized person will not reach with just one beer. The real problem is if he opens and drinks it WHILE driving having an open container is illegal, if not in all states certainly most. If he chugs it first he's fine if that's the only one he has, but he still took it from the guy's cooler without asking, which is basically theft. If he's willing to do that, I wouldn't bet on him having just one beer...

MysteryMan and SledgeHammer like this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Uh... OP said he was drinking it in the truck on the drive home. NO state allows open alcohol containers, so yeah, he'd be arrested for DUI and fired :rolleyes:.

MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    OP said he took it for the drive home, so I assumed he was drinking it on the way. Open containers like you said is illegal. Chugging doesn't have the same effect as normal drinking, plus, he probably smelled of beer. Depends on what you consider a normal person height, weight and BF% wise lol.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  13. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Same guy 10 years ago:

[​IMG]

Same guy yesterday:

[​IMG]

compnurd likes this.
  14. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Not going to go off topic but yeah I can list so many reasons why your just wrong.

15. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Exactly!! Yes, open container is illegal. Maybe he chugged it and had a 15 min drive. Unless he was 100bs, the time the alcohol metabolizes to blow over legal limit he is most likely home. Plus OP said to drink on the way home. Did he actually open it and drink it? He never said if it was open.
    Or everyone who goes out to dinner and has one drink is drunk?
    No more on this topic. But yes, flat out theft and should be fired.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have to ask. Why the Hell didn't you call DIRECTV immediately after the tech left and report the issue? That's what any reasonable person would have done. Instead you waited nearly a year to address the issue and expect to have it resolved. Surely you jest. I fail to see how you're the injured party.

B. Shoe likes this.
  17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    To answer your last part here. YESSS It has nothing to do with being drunk This has become a hotter topic issue in a lot of states where 1 drink at dinner can cause you to get a DUI or DWI due to states lowering the BAC limit

" Before you even think of getting behind the wheel after having just one drink, you should know the DUI laws of your state. Even if you do not feel the effects of alcohol, your blood alcohol content (BAC) may exceed your state's legal limit because everyone's body and alcohol tolerance is different. "

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Except it isnt. Depending on the body size 1 beer can put you over the BAC limit

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As the thread starter posted, he did not want that technician sent back to his house. While I assume he could have asked for a different technician - his "fear" was that the same guy would show up and do further damage.

JimmyB likes this.
  20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    [​IMG]