In "Searching for Signal" and "Just a few more seconds" loop nightmare

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hdtvluvr, Dec 13, 2019.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Well, my box keeps going from Searching for Signal to Just a few more seconds. I have a DirecTV Genie (HR44) that was installed in 2015. Also have a client connected to it that was also installed at the same time. The client says no network connection but network is fine everywhere else. I assume it is because the Genie isn't really working correctly. Any ideas as to what this means? Is the hard drive bad? Is the Genie bad?

Hard Drive was upgraded internally to a WD40EZRX Western Digital 4TB hard drive around November of 2015.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm using that dock for 3TB drive, just have no bigger to check.

3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Wrong thread perhaps?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if other people/other forum have no such complains, then it could be at your side.
    Say, fault at LNBF, cabling, F-connectors, PI failure, etc

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Where do you live ?
    Have you had a storm recently that might have realigned your dish ?

Try unplugging the power to the HR44 and leave it off for an hour or more and then plug it back in.
    Watch it as it tries to or maybe starts up and write down all info that you see that comes to the TV screen.

6. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Well, I got the message Hello, starting up, then just a few seconds, then searching for signal. Then it loops without the Hello message. I called for service and after almost 30 minutes have a service call scheduled for Monday afternoon. I haven't had to have service in years. Is it the norm to be scheduled 3 days out?

jimmie57 likes this.
  7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah, norm

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think this could have anything to do with an HDD. Take the replacement. If the problem persists you've ruled out the Genie as the culprit. I'd leave the WD40EZRX in the 44 when you send it back, I would not put a four year old HDD in another HR. That's asking for trouble.

Rich

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    One more thing to try.
    Unscrew the coax from the receiver and unplug the power for an hour.
    Then connect the coax first and then plug in the power. The first thing it will check is the software version and might reload it from the sat.
    Nothing to lose.

10. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Service is scheduled for Monday. So, if it is the 44 and they replace it are they still giving out 44's? I won't be going to 4K for awhile so would there be a good reason to get a 17 or should I try to get a 54? I don't know exactly what my client is - got it at the same time as the 44 so it is that old. Would it still work with a 54 or 17?

If I do get another box, I want to use an external HD. 4 TB. All of the Thermaltake docks I've found are either old (and some say works with up to 2TB, others 1TB) or the duets. Or they don't have eSATA ports just USB. I don't need 2 bays. Someone posted about the Vantec NST-366SU3-BK enclosure but some of the reviews are not very positive. What would you buy today if you had to replace your docks?

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HR54s work with receivers, DVRs and clients. The HS17s only work with clients. If you get a HR54 it will trigger a new commitment.

12. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    So, if I have to make a new commitment, should I go for a 54 or 17? Does the 17 have an eSATA port? And would that have 2 clients for my 2 TV's or can the 17 output to a TV?

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Depends on your needs. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It can be connected to a TV. It works with receivers, DVRs and clients. It needs a C61K-700 client for 4K service. It works with one 4K stream at once. The HS17 has a 2 TB Hard Drive. It is a headless server and cannot be connected to a TV. It only works with clients. It needs a C61K-700 client for 4K service. It works with two 4K stream at once. It has a eSATA port.

14. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Does the AM21 work with the 17? I need that for sub channels and during storms when D goes out.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't believe what you read on the Thermaltake boxes. You can put just about any size HDD in one and it will work. Within reason, of course, I have no idea if anything over 10TBs will work properly and nobody needs anywhere near that amount. I don't think we've ever heard of a true limit . The docks just work.

You definitely need a dock with an eSATA port. Any external device you use on these HRs has to have that port. If I had to replace a dock I would get another dock. Using anything else would be a step back. One thing that I haven't seen anybody mention is the lack of SATA ports on some 54s and some 17s. If you want to use an external drive you need that SATA port. eSATA devices feed SATA ports.

You will be much better off with a brand new HDD. Get a Surveillance WD drive.

Rich

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Both the HR54 and HS17 have newer revs that lack the eSATA port. If it is important to you, you will need to be willing to refuse the install if the installer shows up with the newer rev that lacks it.

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No. Don't get a HS17 if you want to use off-air AM21 or LCC.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  18. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Just tried this and same result. Still in the loop. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Thanks I wouldn't have known about this.

Thanks I thought I had read that the 17 didn't have off the air capability.

So if one uses an external HD, does the internal still spin up and run 24/7? Or does it know it isn't being used and doesn't spin at all? Wondering about heat and wear & tear on the drive. If it goes bad/dies, does it affect the Genie at all? And if there is a power outage, does anyone have an issue with the Genie restarting on the internal drive? Mine is on a UPS but that only lasts so long.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Deja vu … Same questions - same answers... seen it here so many times;
    wouldn't special locked thread about HR54/HS17 benefit many people who just begin known the aspect ?