1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inactive 722 and EHD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by chickmag, Apr 11, 2014.

1. chickmag

chickmag Cool Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Couldn't find an answer to this one although I'm sure it's been asked before:

Can I buy a used 722 for our cottage and simply transport my EHD (normally connected to my active 722) between residences to watch recorded programs at the cottage? I don't want/need to use the 722 at the cottage to watch any live programming. (OTA coverage is fine.) I bought a Sling but it doesn't work well because the Internet connection is sporadic.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    The 722 would have to be connected to your account, thus connected to a dish and be able to connect to a satellite to verify your account. So, yes it could work, but not in the manner you are wanting it to.

3. chickmag

chickmag Cool Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Yeah and connecting it to my account would break the terms of the agreement as I understand it, so that's a no-go.

Thanks!

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, there is 'a solution' - activate it at home, then take the 722 with you, perhaps calling CSR and informing you're travel in RV

5. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    You can setup a snowbird account, which allows you to switch between your 2 locations as often as you like. You can take the receiver from 1 location to the other. Please let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

6. chickmag

chickmag Cool Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Hi Ray:

Thanks for the post. It would be unwieldy to disconnect and reconnect the existing 722 every weekend. (Not gonna ask my wife to attempt that!) That's why I was hoping I could buy a used 722 and do it that way.

Thanks though,

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    man, are you reading all posts ? ;)

RV is your choice !

8. chickmag

chickmag Cool Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Hi Paul:

Oh, now I understand! I have 3 x 211's and a 722 already on my account. Can an RV be added or does Dish still limit an account to 4 receivers?

Thanks,

9. Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    Leased equipment is limited to 6 tuners in any combination of receivers. You can have purchased receivers along with leased on an account. If you wanted to leave a purchased receiver at your cottage, you can activate/deactivate the receiver as needed with the Snowbird setup. Thanks.

10. chickmag

chickmag Cool Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Hi Ray:

So maybe we are getting somewhere then. So I purchase a 722, add it to may account and i) leave it always enabled at $7 per month, or ii) do the Snowbird thing... If I use the cottage every weekend, does it make any sense to activate/deactivate every weekend? That really wouldn't buy me anything, right? But if I leave it deactivated during winter, then I save the $7 per month?

Thanks again,

11. Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    The Snowbird account allows you to use your receivers at 2 different locations whenever you want. To setup the Snowbird account, you setup a DISH mover to install the dish at the second location. Once installed, you can move the receivers from one location to the other as often as needed.

A purchased receiver can be activated and deactivated any time you want. An additional 722 receiver is $17 per month, not $7. You cannot have the service working at both locations at the same time. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.