1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inception

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by davemayo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    I'm not a movie person, but the trailers for this movie have caught my attention. Obviously it is all CGI, but still the effects look amazing.

Anyone planning on seeing this? Heard any reviews?

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    The reviews have been exceptional.....this is the must see movie of the summer.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it, the bad thing for me if it has Dicraprio in it, I just don't like him. Still going though.

3. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    I really like Ellen Page, but I doubt her role in Inception will be much like Juno.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Looks like a great film, and with the exception of The Dark Knight I am a big fan of the director, Christopher Nolan. And I understand that most people liked The Dark Knight but I thought it was an hour too long.

5. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    PLEASE don't see this movie if all you care about is special effects:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15517429

For that Nolan fan above who doesn't like The Dark Knight, looks this movie harkens back to The Following/Memento, only with a big-budget.

6. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    I loved Memento. Excellent movie that few people know about.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    One of my top 5 best all-time.

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Memento, The Prestige, and Insomnia were all excellent and far superior to The Dark Knight simply by not having a superhero in them.

9. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    If you haven't seen Nolan's first film, Following, you are missing out on a rare treat. If you think nobody has ever heard of Memento, nobody x 10 has heard of Following, but it's really good. You can really see then Nolan was going to be very good.

10. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt one of the stars of this movie on the View this morning. According to him it was not CGI, but a special set that was use for the the effects seen in this film. I also am looking forward to this film.

11. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    I definitely plan on checking this out.

Nolan: check
    DiCaprio: check
    Gordon-Levitt: check
    Berenger ;) : check

12. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I watched over the weekend.

The music was great. My friend saw it at the IMAX and she said it was a great immersive experience.

IMHO, the reviews are over inflating it but it was very good and entertaining. 4 out of 5 stars.

My only complaint was the ending. I thought it was contrived. It was there just to mess with the audience. I didn't mind the message of the ending, I just didn't like how it was done.

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why?

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Because there aren't that many of them and you see all the good ones in the trailer.

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks for the heads up.

I've been telling the Mrs that was the case based on similar reviews...

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't have the time for a full review BTW, but I'll say this: This was a thoughtful movie full of great actors and far more symbolism than it's possible to get with one viewing. Even the characters' names mean something. I was a little disappointed with the lack of CGI as I was expecting something more "dreamlike" and that was explained away with "you should make dreams as realistic as possible or the subconscious will reject them." Poppycock, say I. But whatever.

The ending will get you talking, and that's saying a lot since it's possible to guess it about halfway through the film.

17. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Funny how different people take a film. My wife and I walked out after 25 minutes and got our $22 ticket fee back. To me, I wish they had developed the characters even a little before the action started - I'm a smart guy (magna cum laude), but had no idea what was going on.

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I saw "Inception" last week, and it's a shame you didn't stay on. It takes quite a while for the story to develop. To be sure, it was difficult to follow, not really knowing at any given time if you were immersed in DiCaprio's dream or someone else's, or if it was a dream within a dream. I think it would actually be worth seeing again, knowing how it all fit together. It's a tense drama definitely worth seeing.

19. kss123456

kss123456 New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    It's phenomenal and it's not difficult to understand like many people say it is. It's ranked as the third best movie of all time by imdb for a reason.

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Sounds like a perfect BluRay purchase. I'll definitely give it another shot.