Increase in sportspack channel blackouts? College hoops mainly

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by teebeebee1, Feb 7, 2015.

1. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    I've noticed this season that almost all of the random college hoops games are now blacked out on all the channels other than my own RSN; this was never the case until this year.

What gives? Some of them are in the College hoops package but more often than not they just aren't available on the diff channels which i kind of liked having access to in the past.

I must have missed some sort of change?

2. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have seen an increase in this, but I watch games nearly every day that are not on my local RSN. I have no Fox Sports or Root Sports locally, and many of those games are available. The only ones I have seen blacked out are the ones on ESPN Full Court (720s) and even then, some of them are available in HD on RSNs.

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Check your local listings or the website of the team or conference you want to see. If a game is blacked out on both the RSNs and Full Court and you can't find it on any of your other channels, the game is probably being carried on an OTA subchannel or some cable only local sports channel.

With the debut of the SEC Network as well as new channels like Fox Sports 1 carrying games that used to be syndicated to local stations, more stations are now picking the games from the ACC network.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Can the OP post an example when it happens? Maybe we can figure out a pattern.

5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Maybe game plan and full court will go away and just be part of the sports pack. Like how it is on TWC and brighthouse.

also alot of the games are on ESPN 3 that may be comeing soon to directv (maybe as part of the sports pack)

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I read something saying that as Disney is renegotiating contracts it is getting rid of Game Plan and Full Court. So that would eliminate the objection some had to the idea of Directv offering ESPN3 as linear channels, since they wouldn't be biting into another revenue stream. If they did so, presumably that would be added to the sports pack.

7. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I have had games blacked out on one RSN, and when they were not available on a different RSN or on Full Court, it was because they were being broadcast on a local OTA subchannel.

8. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    Seems like once I posted this topic things have gone back to normal this weekend; i have seton hall vs Providence on about 20 channels (Hurray?? I guess??)

Anyway i'm taking credit; usually it would have only been accessible on my FSN AZ channel 686, now its open on them all

1 person likes this.
  9. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It depends on the conference and the contacts they have concerning broadcast rights. The ACC is still the worst when it comes to blackouts. The Big East is usually not a problem.