Inexpensive signal strength meter that works?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BC Jim, Jul 2, 2018.

1. BC Jim

BC Jim New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive (< $100) signal strength meter that works? So far I've eliminated the $10 meters and three SatHero SH-100HD meters. Yes, I had to send all three back because they had to be HOT to work. Unbelievable! They also didn't show a signal for 8PSK. If anyone has used a SH-100HD successfully I'd love to know about it. The ones I had worked on 61.5° after a while if it was 90° outside and I waited up to 10 minutes (or more?). Tough finding a satellite if you don't know if the meter is ready to show a signal!

I've been using an early First Strike FS1 series K meter that only locks on QPSK which is fast disappearing from Dish Network. It doesn't work well on 77° or 129°.

I'm looking for a meter for a non-technical friend in an RV to use after the meter has been set up. I wouldn't mind having a back up meter that hit on 8PSK myself.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    check at ebay Satlink WS-XXXX family

3. BC Jim

BC Jim New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I checked the Satlink WS-6933. The LNB supply limit of 300ma isn't good for a 1000.4 LNB. My FS1 has a limit of 400ma which has been a problem. I had to build an external LNB supply for the FS1. I'd like to avoid that again.

I'll check some of the other Satlink models.

4. BC Jim

BC Jim New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    It looks like SatHero SH-100HD isn't a good meter for Dish Network without some serious modifications. Even with the mods, it isn't a good meter. I added an external box to house a voltage comparator (13V vs 18V) to power a relay and a buck/boost DC/DC converter powered from the incoming power directly to compensate for the low power output of the meter. The meter still has a problem when switching settings. I've been in contact with the Chinese mfg and the US distributor. I am not impressed. If a meter isn't rated for 400ma output, it probably won't work with Dish Network.